Gareth

SAILING UPDATES: 2019 Latest News

3 hours ago, David Williams said:

The repair sounds a bit more complicated than sourcing and fitting a spare part, the BF comment was

https://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/pont-aven-latest-news

A repair procedure has been defined with the agreement of Bureau Veritas (certification authority) and the manufacturer

https://www.bureauveritas.co.uk/

Edited by TonyMWeaver

5 minutes ago, Millsy said:

Just a query but is the PA the leader in unplanned time out of service amongst the present fleet?

Think so, although not when placed against the record of the new Cowes chain ferry😁

• Haha 1

PORTSMOUTH TO LE HAVRE / LE HAVRE TO PORTSMOUTH

We are sorry to advise that due to a strike in the port of Le Havre, the following sailings have been CANCELLED: 

02/06/19 Portsmouth to Le Havre 23:00

03/06/19 Le Havre to Portsmouth 09:15

03/06/19 Portsmouth to Le Havre 15:30

03/06/19 Le Havre to Portsmouth 23:45

That leaves a ship looking for some work !

27 minutes ago, David Williams said:

PORTSMOUTH TO LE HAVRE / LE HAVRE TO PORTSMOUTH

We are sorry to advise that due to a strike in the port of Le Havre, the following sailings have been CANCELLED: 

02/06/19 Portsmouth to Le Havre 23:00

03/06/19 Le Havre to Portsmouth 09:15

03/06/19 Portsmouth to Le Havre 15:30

03/06/19 Le Havre to Portsmouth 23:45

That leaves a ship looking for some work !

'Etretat', not really a suitable replacement for 'Pont-Aven'

The Pont Aven cancellations are all over the Irish National media today with figures of 6500 passengers affected.

At the same time BF have sent out a broadcast email telling customers that their sailing is cancelled up until 14th June but saying specifically not contact them they will contact you

in due course.

This seems to me to be the wrong way to handle it bearing in mind that the alternatives IF & Stena are fully booked now & they don't seem to be planning to use Connemara or Armorique as they did for the last two weekends - then the only option now is landbridge to France & Spain 

They are stretching customer loyalty to the limit & need  to learn from this for future occurances as otherwise the brand will be badly damaged.

IF had the problem last year with the delayed delivery of WBY but at least they had the Oscar Wilde to fall back on and though they annoyed customers at least they were able to get to their  holiday destinations  wheres BF attitude seems to be sorry but we will give you a full refund

• Like 1

She has got less than 36 hours available in the schedule. I don't know what she could reasonably do in that time and at such short notice. Everyone will have been contacted about the PA sailings for those dates already so they can't reinstate anything now. Ed. 

16 minutes ago, The Ferry Man said:

Better than no ship at all surely?

Ah, the million Euro question!  Is no ship better than a bad ship......?! 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

She has got less than 36 hours available in the schedule. I don't know what she could reasonably do in that time and at such short notice. Everyone will have been contacted about the PA sailings for those dates already so they can't reinstate anything now. Ed. 

Very true.

Maybe a freight-only sailing though to get more space on CF?

Friends reply from BF Cork  this morning, Connemara doing 2 runs from Cork to Roscoff but not this weekend !!! .. they were offered next weekend but declined and opted for a refund which will take a week ... doing landbridge option instead so as not to lose a weeks holiday.

Just thinking aloud here and no more than that but.....can`t help wondering if the BF accountants have done a cost benefit analysis and decided to end passenger sailings Cork/Roscoff after this season and concentrate on purely freight, which is after all where the money is. The attitude so far seems to indicate in that direction but.......who knows??

34 minutes ago, Paully said:

Just thinking aloud here and no more than that but.....can`t help wondering if the BF accountants have done a cost benefit analysis and decided to end passenger sailings Cork/Roscoff after this season and concentrate on purely freight, which is after all where the money is. The attitude so far seems to indicate in that direction but.......who knows??

I doubt if that will happen .. the summer season is booked solid from Cork ... and as IF don't go to Roscoff now it's the only route there with no competition.

30 minutes ago, Paully said:

I doubt it because the Cork Roscoff route has to be very profitable for them 85 to 90 thousand passengers in the season with good loadings for each sailing and the amount of freight

carried is small - mainly refrigerated units with shellfish etc. They do not compete on price with IF & Stena and charge top prices for what was/is a premium service !  Eg a return sailing in June for 2 people car & dog is €1082 & on IF it is €638. The danger for them now is that customers who have to change their booking will realise there is a big difference in price & is better food offerings [La Flora] good enough reason to pay the extra

1 hour ago, Paully said:

I doubt it because the Cork Roscoff route has to be very profitable for them 85 to 90 thousand passengers in the season with good loadings for each sailing and the amount of freight

carried is small - mainly refrigerated units with shellfish etc. They do not compete on price with IF & Stena and charge top prices for what was/is a premium service !  Eg a return sailing in June for 2 people car & dog is €1082 & on IF it is €638. The danger for them now is that customers who have to change their booking will realise there is a big difference in price & is better food offerings [La Flora] good enough reason to pay the extra

Having read all that I see that WB Yeats isn't exactly top of the class on TripAdvisor reviews at the minute ... but there's a case for both sides I reckon.

Today's update.

Pont-Aven - Latest news - Brittany Ferries

30 May 
All customers due to travel to or from Ireland prior to 7th June have been assisted. Our Team in Cork are now in the process of contacting and assisting customers due to travel on the following sailings:
7th June - Roscoff Cork and Cork - Santander 
8th June Cork - Roscoff  
9th June Santander - Cork

We're offering alternative sailings or if this isn't suitable, a full refund. To speed up the process we have drafted in additional available resource and our team are working additional hours. We expect to complete the process within the next 72 hours.

2 hours ago, Geezer said:

Having read all that I see that WB Yeats isn't exactly top of the class on TripAdvisor reviews at the minute ... but there's a case for both sides I reckon.

But at least she's sailing and taking people where they want to get to. Ed. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

But at least she's sailing and taking people where they want to get to. Ed. 

I know that ... but she's brand new .. she should be sailing and taking people where they want to get to ..... 

24 minutes ago, Geezer said:

I know that ... but she's brand new .. she should be sailing and taking people where they want to get to ..... 

My point was simply that those complaining about her onboard services on Trip Advisor don't realise how lucky they are to actually be able to get to their holiday destinations. The price difference would certainly encourage me to accept certain compromises. Ed. 

3 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

My point was simply that those complaining about her onboard services on Trip Advisor don't realise how lucky they are to actually be able to get to their holiday destinations. The price difference would certainly encourage me to accept certain compromises. Ed. 

I totally agree ... I will have to look at IF myself if this debacle runs on to late June .

13 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

I think that is a very fair comment - I have been able to book the WBY 2 days earlier for our trip to France- only because knowing earlier than most[ because of this site] what was really happening. I got this email from Cork only yesterday and am I wrong in thinking that it is a rather arrogant ,uncaring  communication for a long established customer. Particularily the bit about claiming from my travel insurer for additional expenses ?

Dear Mr Stanley

We're sorry to confirm the Pont-Aven's withdrawal from service and therefore your sailing from Cork/Ringaskiddy to Roscoff on 8th June 2019 has been cancelled

What's Happened? 

The Pont-Aven has a hydraulic fault affecting its rudder that needs immediate repair. Unfortunately, following investigation it was found that damage to the starboard side steering gear was more extensive than originally suspected. A repair procedure has been defined with the agreement of Bureau Veritas (certification authority) and the manufacturer. In parallel, a complete check of the port steering gear has been carried out. Regrettably, Pont-Aven will not resume service until June 14th.  

What are my options?

It's peak season for many of our routes so the reasonable alternative sailings we can offer are very limited and there is little availability.

We will offer you a choice of re-route (where available) or a full refund as per our T&Cs and EU Passenger Rights regulation 1177/2010. We understand our competitors have some isolated availability but once cancelled with us, you will need to contact them yourselves.

To cancel your booking and arrange a refund, please e-mail refund@brittanyferries.ie with your booking reference.

What if I incur additional expenses as a result of this cancellation 

Additional expenses can be addressed to your travel insurer and this email should be sufficient evidence for you to make a claim.

To close, I'm sorry you've been disrupted. We look forward to the Pont-Aven returning to usual service soon but in the meantime I hope the above is clear and thank you for choosing Brittany Ferries

Hugh Bruton
General Manager Cork

The very least should be an offer of a decent discount for a future sailing to try to retain some goodwill out of this mess, but that won't happen.