Gareth

SAILING UPDATES: 2019 Latest News

6 minutes ago, Eddies said:

Would someone like to say were the bad weather is. !!!

24th Jan.png

I think you'll find it's in the Bay of Biscay and it's going to delay BDS getting back up to Portsmouth. This is from the BF French sailings update page (and yes, I did almost fall over in shock) :

Du Havre à Portsmouth - De Portsmouth au Havre

En raison des conditions météo prévues dans le golfe de Gascogne en début de semaine, les horaires du  navire Baie de Seine,  sont modifiées comme suit :

24/01  Portsmouth/Le Havre 23h30 - traversée  annulée 
25/01 Portsmouth/Le Havre 09h00 - nouvelle traversée

Ed

Thank you for your fast reply's.

I see that BDS, was due to do the run, also the Tat, dock at 19:30 hrs so would have thought it was she was done to do the run.

23 minutes ago, Eddies said:

Would someone like to say were the bad weather is. !!!

I believe it's because of the poor weather in the Bay of Biscay this week, 'Baie de Seine' is still playing catch up.

Going by the Condor ferries website for Saturday it looks like there will be a walkout by the dockers in St Malo so may see PA going to Cherbourg friday night like she has done before in walkouts.

3 hours ago, Macc2010 said:

Going by the Condor ferries website for Saturday it looks like there will be a walkout by the dockers in St Malo so may see PA going to Cherbourg friday night like she has done before in walkouts.

Cherbourg tends to be the diversion if the walkout is not announced until the ship is already under way.  However, almost invariably these days, if the walkout is announced before departure then BF cancels the sailing.

4 hours ago, Gareth said:

Cherbourg tends to be the diversion if the walkout is not announced until the ship is already under way.  However, almost invariably these days, if the walkout is announced before departure then BF cancels the sailing.

You are right. They have cancelled it. Ed. 

• Like 1

Travelling to France by ferry seems to be becoming an utter lottery. These constant walkouts are really going to have a significant effect on holiday traffic at a time when Brexit is already imposing its own uncertainties. #mefirst attitude...

• Like 2

Very stormy day on the South coast, understandable while so many sailings have been disrupted this weekend. The Etretat appears to have now sought shelter off Brest, whist headed to Portsmouth. 

Baie de Seine will now cover tonight’s Le Have sailing.

Barfleur has also also postponed her morning departure from Poole to 1700 this afternoon. 

Meanwhile Portsmouth/Caen keeps on truckin’. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was Armorique crossing to Caen last night with a club plus cabin on deck 9. It was quite bouncy at times with a few items falling off the table (and inside the fridge) but the crossing was much calmer once sheltered by the Cotentin peninsula. 

Had to go for this crossing because of the lack of alternatives but the very early arrival on the Sunday morning was not a pleasant experience 

• Like 1

On 27/01/2019 at 11:55, Andy said:

Very stormy day on the South coast, understandable while so many sailings have been disrupted this weekend. The Etretat appears to have now sought shelter off Brest, whist headed to Portsmouth. 

Etretat’s sheltering off Brest was covered in le Télégramme and includes a photo. She’s expected back in Portsmouth at 17:15 today.

https://www.letelegramme.fr/finistere/brest/port-de-commerce/tempete-etretat-le-ferry-choisit-la-securite-en-rade-de-brest-27-01-2019-12193657.php

I might have missed something - why was Etretat coming up from Biscay in the first place?  I see BDS is also in Le Havre - have the two of them swapped places for a few days for some reason?

33 minutes ago, Gareth said:

I might have missed something - why was Etretat coming up from Biscay in the first place?  I see BDS is also in Le Havre - have the two of them swapped places for a few days for some reason?

'Etretat' did a couple of Spanish crossings last week, but was delayed coming back last night. As 'Baie de Seine' was anchoring off the NAB at the weekend due to her cancellations, the decision was made for her to cover last night's Portsmouth/Le Havre on behalf of 'Etretat'.

Edited by TonyMWeaver
  • Thanks 1

Le Havre is closed on Fridays and Saturdays for a few weeks (I'm still unsure exactly why) and so Etretat has been used elsewhere. Ed. 

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Gareth said:

The Etretat had been operating a weekend freight sailing to Bilbao, providing cover whilst the Pelican is in refit. 

Back to normal this weekend (Pelican resumes sailings on the 31st Jan).

• Thanks 1

What is the problem - ship or port ?

Portsmouth to Le Havre - Le Havre to Portsmouth

We are sorry to inform you that for operational reasons, the following sailings have been CANCELLED. Please call 0044 1752 648637 for advice and alternatives. Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience caused.

01/02/19 Portsmouth to Le Havre 23:30
02/02/19 Le Havre to Portsmouth 17:00
02/02/19 Portsmouth to Le Havre 23:30
03/02/19 Le Havre to Portsmouth 17:00
03/02/19 Portsmouth to Le Havre 23:30
04/02/19 Le Havre to  Portsmouth 17:00

I think it's the port again. They are suspending weekend crossings for several weeks due to engineering work.

I think it's this project to renovate the fishing-boat pontoons, gangways and dredge the access channel. 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.tendanceouest.com/amp-303927-bientot-des-travaux-dans-le-port-de-peche-du-havre.html&ved=2ahUKEwj4ooer05jgAhVEAmMBHRc3AYcQFjAIegQIChAB&usg=AOvVaw0xanPwlw3ocC8oKsto4BXx&ampcf=1

Ed. 

Edited by Cabin-boy
  • Like 1

I can't find anywhere else to put this, and there's no point starting a new thread, so here goes. Barfleur got a brief appearance on French Channel 3 TV News last night. The report was into the disappearance of the private plane carrying a footballer. The journalist was pictured on the quayside (with Barfleur in the background - so she was running yesterday!) explaining where in the Cotentin peninsular the two seat cushions had been found. They had previously used some stock footage of Guernsey, Alderney and the Casquets lighthouse to explain the possible currents that might have carried the cushions ashore. Ed. 

48 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

I can't find anywhere else to put this, and there's no point starting a new thread, so here goes. Barfleur got a brief appearance on French Channel 3 TV News last night. The report was into the disappearance of the private plane carrying a footballer. The journalist was pictured on the quayside (with Barfleur in the background - so she was running yesterday!) explaining where in the Cotentin peninsular the two seat cushions had been found. They had previously used some stock footage of Guernsey, Alderney and the Casquets lighthouse to explain the possible currents that might have carried the cushions ashore. Ed. 

So right in Barfleur’s usual track then....! 😳