Jump to content
Gareth

SAILING UPDATES: 2019 Latest News

Recommended Posts

Do you think the Pont will be fixed well before the scheduled return on the 14th to allow for tests and sea trials rather than going straight into service ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Geezer said:

Do you think the Pont will be fixed well before the scheduled return on the 14th to allow for tests and sea trials rather than going straight into service ?

As others have said here - it appears BF are trying to be transparent on this now so as not to be burnt again/even more. If they said 14th will be running, I would like to hope that they have factored all that in already so it would be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Geezer said:

Do you think the Pont will be fixed well before the scheduled return on the 14th to allow for tests and sea trials rather than going straight into service ?

As someone sitting in France after a much longer then normal trip to get here, who is due to return home on that sailing, I very much hope they do!!😂😂

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, shar^k said:

As someone sitting in France after a much longer then normal trip to get here, who is due to return home on that sailing, I very much hope they do!!😂😂

What alternative route did you take Shark ? I may end up doing something similar myself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brittany Ferries organized a landbridge route for us.

We were put on the Irish Ferries sailing from Rosslare to Pembroke at 08:45 Saturday morning and then Brittany Ferries sailing from Plymouth to Roscoff at 10pm  Saturday night.

We arrived in France at 8am Sunday, which was only an hour later then we originally should have. 

However in order to get to Rosslare on time we had to leave Cork at 4am which made the whole trip an extra 12 hours long.

I will say though I enjoyed the trip, when I was younger we always went to France via the landbridge option as my mother did not enjoy long ferry trips. It was also nice to sail on the Armorique having seen it in Cork just a couple of weeks ago.

I just hope we get to take the direct route home!!

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, shar^k said:

Brittany Ferries organized a landbridge route for us.

We were put on the Irish Ferries sailing from Rosslare to Pembroke at 08:45 Saturday morning and then Brittany Ferries sailing from Plymouth to Roscoff at 10pm  Saturday night.

We arrived in France at 8am Sunday, which was only an hour later then we originally should have. 

However in order to get to Rosslare on time we had to leave Cork at 4am which made the whole trip an extra 12 hours long.

I will say though I enjoyed the trip, when I was younger we always went to France via the landbridge option as my mother did not enjoy long ferry trips. It was also nice to sail on the Armorique having seen it in Cork just a couple of weeks ago.

I just hope we get to take the direct route home!!

 

A bit of a roundabout way I'd say but at least you got there ... did the landbridge route work out any cheaper than your original fare, did you get refunded ? We are looking at Dublin/Holyhead and then Portsmouth/Cherbourg but hopefully it will not come to that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Todays update !

Pont-Aven - Latest news

4 June 2019

As we previously advised, Pont-Aven is not expected to re-enter service before 14 June. We continue to offer our apologies to all passengers affected by cancellation of services. Some passengers have asked why the repairs are taking so long and we hope the following will help.

The problem with Pont-Aven’s starboard side steering gear was first identified on the approach to Roscoff on the morning of 17 May. A loss of oil pressure had reduced rudder efficiency.

The ship was immediately taken out of service and sailed to the shipyard in Brest for investigations that day. Originally our technical teams hoped the loss of pressure might have been caused by the failure of something that would merely require the unit to be removed and a part replaced. However, the investigation pointed to a far more serious issue that would take longer to resolve.

Parts are being manufactured, fitted and rigorously tested and we’re confident that all is proceeding as quickly as possible without compromising our long-standing commitment to safety and maintenance excellence.

We are doing everything we can to return Pont-Aven to service as soon as possible but cannot reasonably improve on the 14 June return date. 

The repair has – of course - taken much longer than we would have liked for which we can only apologise once again.

If your scheduled sailing with Brittany Ferries has been affected you will receive notification from our Customer Services team. They will try their hardest to make alternative arrangements on other services. You can of course cancel your booking if you prefer - and make alternative arrangements. We will fully refund any booking for travel between now and 14 June – please email refund@brittanyferries.com

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for that..As suspected they are in the hands of others to resolve this. Making and testing of new parts can take quite some time. I just wonder why they weren`t up front and offer this explanation straight away. It wasn`t as if they were`nt aware.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You would think that the parts they needed have already been manufactured and are in the process of being fitted given the time she's been laid up .... hopefully getting near the testing time now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, shar^k said:

Brittany Ferries organized a landbridge route for us.

We were put on the Irish Ferries sailing from Rosslare to Pembroke at 08:45 Saturday morning and then Brittany Ferries sailing from Plymouth to Roscoff at 10pm  Saturday night.

We arrived in France at 8am Sunday, which was only an hour later then we originally should have. 

However in order to get to Rosslare on time we had to leave Cork at 4am which made the whole trip an extra 12 hours long.

I will say though I enjoyed the trip, when I was younger we always went to France via the landbridge option as my mother did not enjoy long ferry trips. It was also nice to sail on the Armorique having seen it in Cork just a couple of weeks ago.

I just hope we get to take the direct route home!!

 

I did the landbridge  route a few times  from Dublin to France using the Channel Tunnel , my best journey time was done in 12 hours  from Dublin to Boulogne sur mer . Like i said we only managed to that time once and a lot of things went our way from start to finish . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Chef said:

I did the landbridge  route a few times  from Dublin to France using the Channel Tunnel , my best journey time was done in 12 hours  from Dublin to Boulogne sur mer . Like i said we only managed to that time once and a lot of things went our way from start to finish . 

Rather you than me for that drive, especially North Wales then having to contend with the dark arts of the M25 down to the tunnel...You`d have deserved a very large drink following that marathon 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Paully said:

Rather you than me for that drive, especially North Wales then having to contend with the dark arts of the M25 down to the tunnel...You`d have deserved a very large drink following that marathon 😁

We did Haverfordwest to Dover... once.

It took nearly 11 hours. Dunno about a large drink Paully, I could've done with therapy! It was so bad we ripped up the return ticket. I couldn't even face driving back up from Portsmouth or Poole. We decided to travel back via Oscar Wilde to Rosslare then Isle of Inishmore to Milford.

The other Friday it took nearly 9 hours to get from Harrogate to Polegate just outside of Eastbourne. the QE bridge and M25 were basically car parks.

Has anyone looked at crossing aboard Stena Horizon, her name has been distinctively absent from this thread so far?

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jonno said:

We decided to travel back via Oscar Wilde to Rosslare then Isle of Inishmore to Milford.

Ah, the “Seabridge” option - sounds very civilised! 😀

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Paully said:

Rather you than me for that drive, especially North Wales then having to contend with the dark arts of the M25 down to the tunnel...You`d have deserved a very large drink following that marathon 😁

It was 15 min from Holyhead on that North Wales motorway that we encountered our first  towed caravan , the first of many which seem to plague UK motorways on weekends . It seems their owners take them out on the weekend just for a spin and then back home .

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Chef said:
9 minutes ago, Chef said:

It was 15 min from Holyhead on that North Wales motorway that we encountered our first  towed caravan , the first of many which seem to plague UK motorways on weekends . It seems their owners take them out on the weekend just for a spin and then back home .

 

There is rather a lot of them it has to be said..

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Paully said:

Thanks for that..As suspected they are in the hands of others to resolve this. Making and testing of new parts can take quite some time. I just wonder why they weren`t up front and offer this explanation straight away. It wasn`t as if they were`nt aware.

To be fair, Brittany Ferries did quote most of that in their press release on May 29th.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Chef said:

It was 15 min from Holyhead on that North Wales motorway that we encountered our first  towed caravan , the first of many which seem to plague UK motorways on weekends . It seems their owners take them out on the weekend just for a spin and then back home .

 

 Get stuck behind one of them heading up Rhuallt Hill and you'll find that French becomes a fluent language especially if they pull out to overtake the HGV's doing about 10mph.

 

27 minutes ago, Gareth said:

Ah, the “Seabridge” option - sounds very civilised! 😀

It most certainly was especially as we had the port side suite on OW, the bed is such that if she's bouncing around you can quite easily slide off the bottom, great fun!  Interesting thing... We were due to leave Cherbourg at around 2130 but due to a compliance issue - maglocks on the car deck access doors failed for a bit - we didn't leave 'til about 0100 but still arrived in Rosslare on time. We were the only vehicle on the deck of I.o.I heading to Pembs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Once Pont Aven is back of course, she will have to prove that she can maintain the 'new' season schedule to Plymouth instead of Portsmouth. I believe she only made one rotation before the rudder problem,so I imagine they will be keen to get a week or two under their belt to see if it is workable on 3 engines...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Geezer said:

Just get her to Cork on the 29th.

Better still ,let's hope she can leave as well . The dry dock in Cork  can't accommodate her , it's too small .

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, hf_uk said:

Once Pont Aven is back of course, she will have to prove that she can maintain the 'new' season schedule to Plymouth instead of Portsmouth. I believe she only made one rotation before the rudder problem,so I imagine they will be keen to get a week or two under their belt to see if it is workable on 3 engines...

They could probably have had the engine mended by now! 😉

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Gareth said:

They could probably have had the engine mended by now! 😉

If they had one spare - quite conceivably!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess they must be pretty confident about their dates though ... I tried a dummy booking from Cork to Roscoff on the 15th June and it was available and the ship was quoted as being the PA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, hf_uk said:

Once Pont Aven is back of course, she will have to prove that she can maintain the 'new' season schedule to Plymouth instead of Portsmouth. I believe she only made one rotation before the rudder problem,so I imagine they will be keen to get a week or two under their belt to see if it is workable on 3 engines...

Will it be Portsmouth?  The timetable still says so with the original timings, rather than the immediate post engine problem ones.  Those of us who are not within striking distance of either port and with much longer distances to travel to get home (Edinburgh) or get to the port need to arrange hotel rooms and it would be good to know which route we will be taking and boat times!

Just checked my booking from Santander on 15th July and it still says Portsmouth.

Edited by Malc
more thoughts

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Chef said:

It was 15 min from Holyhead on that North Wales motorway that we encountered our first  towed caravan , the first of many which seem to plague UK motorways on weekends . It seems their owners take them out on the weekend just for a spin and then back home .

 

That could have been us.  Here's a tip though: there's usually at least one more lane which can be used to pass those pesky caravans travelling at 60mph!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...