Gareth

SAILING UPDATES: 2019 Latest News

19 minutes ago, VikingVoyager said:

That could have been us.  Here's a tip though: there's usually at least one more lane which can be used to pass those pesky caravans travelling at 60mph!

Except when a pesky caravan is in that other lane as well .

28 minutes ago, Malc said:

Will it be Portsmouth?  The timetable still says so with the original timings, rather than the immediate post engine problem ones.

Agreed, the timetables quote Portsmouth not Plymouth. Brittany Ferries did say that the 'Pont-Aven' would only sail from Plymouth on Tuesdays up until June 4th before this latest technical issue came up.

27 minutes ago, VikingVoyager said:

We are allowed to pass the slower ones!

Well i'm glad you cleared that up for me , because I asked Father Ted what that other lane was for and he said  " Dougal" that other lane is only for the Pope to use , that's the holy lane on the road to Holyhead .

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, James210700 said:

Having spoken to Brittany Ferries last week and again in an email this week, Pont-Aven will be sailing from Plymouth not Portsmouth.

Screenshot 2019-06-05 at 10.42.44.png

Well, that's one bit of the equation solved!

Can anyone remember the '3-engine' timings between Plymouth and Santander?

3 minutes ago, Malc said:

Well, that's one bit of the equation solved!

Can anyone remember the '3-engine' timings between Plymouth and Santander?

I recall it was in order to keep to the 24hr passage time that they moved PA Plymouth. 3 engines was said to limit the speed to 20knts although she was seen up to 22knts on AIS.

1 hour ago, Malc said:

Will it be Portsmouth?  The timetable still says so with the original timings, rather than the immediate post engine problem ones.  Those of us who are not within striking distance of either port and with much longer distances to travel to get home (Edinburgh) or get to the port need to arrange hotel rooms and it would be good to know which route we will be taking and boat times!

Just checked my booking from Santander on 15th July and it still says Portsmouth.

I didn't think there was much in it in terms of mileage to Edinburgh, 50 or so? Time wise I always felt that travelling north from Plymouth it was the M5/M6 junction which was the stumbling block and that's mainly due to M5 50mph limit around J1&2. I know a lot is said about the A38, me included, but heading out of Portsmouth the M3 J9 at Winnall and bypassing Winchester can be really bad and the usual restrictions on the M42 which are more to do with noise and emissions frankly do my head in.

1 hour ago, VikingVoyager said:

That could have been us.  Here's a tip though: there's usually at least one more lane which can be used to pass those pesky caravans travelling at 60mph!

Lots of people forget that the A55 is not a motorway it's just a standard dual carriageway right up to the M53 at Chester and you're governed to 60mph. I always have the same conversation about the A1 & A1M, for us in the motorhome they're 2 separate roads. Green road signs 60mph blue ones 70mph. It's why heading south of Ferrybridge is such a bottleneck, the likes of us and the bigger trucks have to slow down. Only a 3rd of it's entire length is motorway.

2 hours ago, Malc said:

Will it be Portsmouth?  The timetable still says so with the original timings, rather than the immediate post engine problem ones.  Those of us who are not within striking distance of either port and with much longer distances to travel to get home (Edinburgh) or get to the port need to arrange hotel rooms and it would be good to know which route we will be taking and boat times!

Just checked my booking from Santander on 15th July and it still says Portsmouth.

I think the confusion has arisen because one issue was compounded by another. My sailing was disrupted, but as has been mentioned above, I think they are staggering getting in contact with people. From what I understood, it would Plymouth after June 14th too due to the engine running slower.

44 minutes ago, jonno said:

I didn't think there was much in it in terms of mileage to Edinburgh, 50 or so? Time wise I always felt that travelling north from Plymouth it was the M5/M6 junction which was the stumbling block and that's mainly due to M5 50mph limit around J1&2. I know a lot is said about the A38, me included, but heading out of Portsmouth the M3 J9 at Winnall and bypassing Winchester can be really bad and the usual restrictions on the M42 which are more to do with noise and emissions frankly do my head in.

Sure, there's not a great difference of mileage from Scotland to Plymouth or Portsmouth.  However when your getting on in years and retired it is not a question of getting behind the wheel and driving for at least  8 or 10 hours straight to your destination.  You're on holiday, meant to be enjoying life, not knackering yourself!  So knowing when the boat leaves and arrives is important in planning the journey as well as the route and where to get a good night's sleep.  After several very bad experiences with the top end of the M5 and the M6 till past Manchester, I now favour an east coast route using M42 and A42 and A1/A1M. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Malc said:

Sure, there's not a great difference of mileage from Scotland to Plymouth or Portsmouth.  However when your getting on in years and retired it is not a question of getting behind the wheel and driving for at least  8 or 10 hours straight to your destination.  You're on holiday, meant to be enjoying life, not knackering yourself!  So knowing when the boat leaves and arrives is important in planning the journey as well as the route and where to get a good night's sleep.  After several very bad experiences with the top end of the M5 and the M6 till past Manchester, I now favour an east coast route using M42 and A42 and A1/A1M. 

2 minutes ago, Malc said:

You could contact customer services at BF and ask directly - maybe on Twitter. They probably have a good idea of what is happening even if they haven't told everyone in bulk due to all the uncertainty.

1 hour ago, hf_uk said:

I think the confusion has arisen because one issue was compounded by another. My sailing was disrupted, but as has been mentioned above, I think they are staggering getting in contact with people. From what I understood, it would Plymouth after June 14th too due to the engine running slower.

Yes, it can’t not be.  Pont Aven cannot maintain the Portsmouth schedule (reliably) with an engine out of commission.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Malc said:

The secret is possibly to locate stopovers which cover both routes and allow a bit of scope time wise in terms of U.K arrivals - afternoon, early evening etc?

We've used the Premier Inn at Solihull a fair few times which is off J4 of the M42, the pub does decent food too. It acts as a bit of crossroads journeying south just before you turn right and head towards the M5 or left down the M40 & A34 to Portsmouth and the same heading north again. There's also a big Tesco for fuel etc. It's doable from both ports in around 3hrs.

Friends have also adopted the Premier Inn at Tamworth, Tamworth South I think? They reckon it's 3.5h from PIP and 4.5h from Millbay.

We're lucky and spend a lot of time on these routes as we can split the journey at Mrs J's parents house in Sutton Coldfield... If they're not off gallivanting.

We also nip down the M40/A34/A303 many times even when heading to the likes of Yeovilton and Lyme Regis etc rather than go right across to the M5. We'll be doing it again next month for the air show and head back towards Portsmouth for the ferry this way too. The A30/A303 route is a good alternative if the M5 is at a standstill... there's a load of old coaching houses offering rooms and mainly decent grub. (It also takes you passed the Upottery airfield some of the D Day gliders and the airborne divisions used & featured in Band of Brothers)

Oh dear, it's turned into a travelogue.

Edited by jonno
  • Like 1

keep going its interesting..In the past we have used the Highwayman Inn in Kidlington off the A34..its on the canal side, loads of history and one of the best full English I`ve had..Reasonable price, for that area, as well..Buses into Oxford stop virtually outside every 15mins as well.

5 hours ago, jonno said:

Lots of people forget that the A55 is not a motorway it's just a standard dual carriageway right up to the M53 at Chester and you're governed to 60mph. I always have the same conversation about the A1 & A1M, for us in the motorhome they're 2 separate roads. Green road signs 60mph blue ones 70mph. It's why heading south of Ferrybridge is such a bottleneck, the likes of us and the bigger trucks have to slow down. Only a 3rd of it's entire length is motorway.

For us with wobble boxes it's 60mph on both (i thought lorries were the same tbh).  They do try and make the A55 out to be a motorway with some of the extra restrictions though the 30 mph bits may give the game away!

7 hours ago, Gareth said:

Yes, it can’t not be.  Pont Aven cannot maintain the Portsmouth schedule (reliably) with an engine out of commission.

According to this Twitter exchange, it's definitely Plymouth. Ed. 

22 hours ago, hf_uk said:

We are also booked on the 15th July sailing and fully expect to arrive in Plymouth which will be a new experience for us, we just hope that disembarkation will be smooth with minimal delays (previous posts suggest not). We have changed our onward destination from our son in Bedford to our daughter in Woolacombe to make it easier for us.

1 hour ago, neilcvx said:

Chances are disembarking in Plymouth will be a slow annoying experience.

On busy sailings.

Armorique in November and you're fine 😉

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, JohnMustow said:

We are also booked on the 15th July sailing and fully expect to arrive in Plymouth which will be a new experience for us, we just hope that disembarkation will be smooth with minimal delays (previous posts suggest not). We have changed our onward destination from our son in Bedford to our daughter in Woolacombe to make it easier for us.

I hope to be on that sailing too.  Provisional timings given to me by BF are departing Santander at 19.15, arriving Plymouth at 15.45.  Just in time for the Plymouth rush hour traffic!

6 minutes ago, Malc said:

I hope to be on that sailing too.  Provisional timings given to me by BF are departing Santander at 19.15, arriving Plymouth at 15.45.  Just in time for the Plymouth rush hour traffic!

It’s ok it will be about 7pm by the time you eventually get out the port 😉

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

It’s ok it will be about 7pm by the time you eventually get out the port 😉

Neil, you obviously love Plymouth as much as I do!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Malc said:

Neil, you obviously love Plymouth as much as I do!

I like Plymouth itself the Parade is nice to spend a leisurely few hours supping and eating, queuing at Milbay for a couple of hours is not so pleasurable.

Edited by neilcvx

I love Plymouth too, and in general prefer sailing out of Plymouth than Portsmouth.  But the process of getting through passport control and customs upon arrival is a low point (as it is, in fact, for both ports).

• Like 1

BF are starting to communicate in advance, let's hope it continues

6 June 2019

We are looking forward to welcoming Pont-Aven back to service on 14 June. Ahead of her return, we have published a revised timetable for sailings operating between Plymouth and Santander and Plymouth and Roscoff. These changes to departure and arrival times have been made to compensate for reduced Pont-Aven operating speed this summer.

Most involve revised departure/arrival times of up to two hours. However please note, for certain sailings leaving Santander, Pont-Aven’s departure has been delayed by four hours, leaving at 19:15 instead of 15:15. All customers affected by changes will be notified in advance of their sailing.

For revised timings please visit our ferry timetables.

https://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/pont-aven-latest-news