Gareth

SAILING UPDATES: 2019 Latest News

1 minute ago, Chef said:

And how's the baker going to know how many bread rolls to make or not 

It dozen really matter how many the baker makes, as long as they are the right shape. 😊 Ed. 

• Haha 2

Re the steering gear, if it had been an old cargo ship it would have been tested whilst alongside. The owners would never have paid for sea trials.. Depends on the views of the Marine Surveyor, if they are happy without sea trials then she`s good to go.

22 minutes ago, Paully said:

Re the steering gear, if it had been an old cargo ship it would have been tested whilst alongside. The owners would never have paid for sea trials.. Depends on the views of the Marine Surveyor, if they are happy without sea trials then she`s good to go.

Can't they just test it out on the way to Roscoff ?  

Whilst they can and will test it enroute, it cannot sail, especially as a passenger carrying vessel, without the express permission of the French Marine Surveyor. It all hinges on official approval I`m afraid.

32 minutes ago, David Williams said:

Can't they just test it out on the way to Roscoff ?  

David, you didn't mean that surely. Would your plan cover standby of the underfunded French sea rescue and RNLI  just incase the ship fails the test and is too close to a shore or traffic. I would expect any test (without pax) would include extreme manoeuvres to test the integrity of the repair. It would certainly require a sea state that may not fit a timetable.I'm afraid the mentality of tick boxes won't do.

Stu

Testing is just that. Its not exercise to subject the public to any danger at all.

6 minutes ago, straightfeed said:

David, you didn't mean that surely. Would your plan cover standby of the underfunded French sea rescue and RNLI  just incase the ship fails the test and is too close to a shore or traffic. I would expect any test (without pax) would include extreme manoeuvres to test the integrity of the repair. It would certainly require a sea state that may not fit a timetable.I'm afraid the mentality of tick boxes won't do.

Stu

Testing is just that. Its not exercise to subject the public to any danger at all.

I did mean that, however I will stand corrected, the ship has to go (without passengers) from Brest to Roscoff and they could find a quiet bit of sea on the way to go round in a few tight circles. The hotel crew could join in Roscoff as normal anyway.

However hopefully they will be testing today.

I note that the sea trials of the newbuilds from FSG did not appear to have any sea rescue cover.

Edited by David Williams

38 minutes ago, straightfeed said:

Stu

I think you’ve totally missed David’s point.  She will not be carrying passengers on her repositioning trip from Brest to Roscoff.

16 hours ago, Gareth said:

She will almost certainly need sea trials before re-entering service. In theory they could happen as late as Friday morning, as it’s only a short hop around from there to Roscoff where she is due to re-enter service.

Only problem with leaving it that late is.....it’s not a lot of notice if the sea trials are not successful!

Lets hope the other rudder servo doesn't go. Dread to think, 'we did a really good job fixing number 1.... but". 😮 

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, straightfeed said:

underfunded French sea rescue and RNLI  

Best do any testing off French coast then.

The  RNLI maybe allegedly is a little better funded than the SNSM The UK has no equivalent of the Abeille ocean going tugs, the UK Anglian tugs having been deleted as no longer required by Cameron’s HMG long ago.☹️

1 minute ago, Geezer said:

Just moved berths by the looks of it.

Looks like she’s gone onto the roro berth. That seems a positive move to me, as it probably means she has gone there to re-store.

Just now, Gareth said:

Looks like she’s gone onto the roro berth. That seems a positive move to me, as it probably means she has gone there to re-store.

That is good news .... let's hope it's all "plain sailing" from here 😀

As most on here will know, Pont Aven is about to resume service with the (normally) weekly crossing to Cork.  Shark will be happy !!

I reckon they should ‘push the boat out’ (so to speak) and offer a complimentary drink or two for this evening’s passengers.  Chances of that happening?   Zero, but Shark will no doubt be on presently.

Whilst posting, what do we reckon this has cost BF?  Set aside the inevitable loss of goodwill, it must be £20M at least for the 47 days out of action.

• Like 1