Gareth

SAILING UPDATES: 2019 Latest News

'Normandie' has been in Cherbourg all day but has moved berths since this morning, it doesn't take that long to de-store. When 'Baie de Seine' went to Gdansk, she was de-stored within 2 or 3 hours and on her way. 'Normandie' is out of action until Sunday evening, I'm sure Brittany Ferries said work was being done in Cherbourg, might be wrong.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, TonyMWeaver said:

'Normandie' has been in Cherbourg all day but has moved berths since this morning, it doesn't take that long to de-store. When 'Baie de Seine' went to Gdansk, she was de-stored within 2 or 3 hours and on her way. 'Normandie' is out of action until Sunday evening, I'm sure Brittany Ferries said work was being done in Cherbourg, might be wrong.

I was going by what you had previously suggested. 

Do you have more recent information? 

Ed

7 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

I was going by what you had previously suggested. 

Do you have more recent information? 

Ed

Was I talking about Normandie then? That was sometime ago, and it was only a guess as she went there before. I'm sure if she was going to Brest, she would be on the way by now.

When she had her bow thruster replaced last year that was done in situ in Cherbourg,  by displacing her ballast to allow better access to  parts of her hull normally below the waterline. 

Here she is last night, still there this morning so I don’t think she’ll be moving anywhere this week

Chris

7F28442E-AD06-49C6-A92A-C4EFA99C7159.jpeg

• Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, Fine Whine said:

They could try but there would be no more lift ....:S

Yeah, I presume there would not be, the mind did boggle at the thought...🤣

Anyway, a quick question while we are talking about goings on in Cherbourg - what the heck has been done to the terminal upstairs bit - the room with the seats that you could while away the time and stand outdoors if you wanted.  Good ship watching spot that, I had an hour to kill when I arrived Saturday so went upstairs to find it is no more, a pair of locked doors and something else in it’s place.  Can you still go upstairs then and outdoors or is it all closed off.  Miffed as enjoy sitting up there.

Edited by Khaines

Funnily enough I tried to do the same myself a couple of weeks ago and was equally surprised to find it's all changed and converted to offices for the CCI (Chamber of Commerce). As you say it was a great spot to watch the coming and goings in the port (and there were some lovely photos of the region) but that's all finished and there is no longer access to the viewing area.

Chris 

• Like 1

Shame, wonder why they chose to put their offices there of all places - one of the terminal building’s best assets, that viewing area, detrimental that is.  

7 minutes ago, Khaines said:

Shame, wonder why they chose to put their offices there of all places - one of the terminal building’s best assets, that viewing area, detrimental that is.  

I imagine that those who made the decision now have a nice view from their offices.

When she had her bow thruster replaced last year that was done in situ in Cherbourg,  by displacing her ballast to allow better access to  parts of her hull normally below the waterline. 

Here she is last night, still there this morning so I don’t think she’ll be moving anywhere this week

Chris

PA will be out of service for at least 10 weeks to have her engine replaced according to this information. 

https://brittanyferriesnewsroom.com/new-ship-charter-will-secure-2020-season-schedules-says-brittany-ferries/

Plus there is various other information about Connemara being French-flagged and hints of further delays to Honfleur. 

Ed

Edited by Cabin-boy
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

Edited by Macc2010
Just seen the name of the ship on another post after i posted on here so no need to add it on here

On Twitter BF have given (what I think is) more precise information about the next batch of timetables. 

"our timetables will be released in two parts this year. November 2019 - March 2020 sailings will be released mid-July, and April 2020 - November 2020 sailings will be in released in October." 

Ed

Relevant to my point in the Condor thread about fastcraft being fickle, Mrs FW is on NEX this morning, 45 minutes delayed due to a container ship arriving in the port and she's now showing as cruising at just under 30 knots rather than the customary 38, so there's probably an engine down (again)....

Chris

10 hours ago, David Williams said:

Nromandie is on the move so is on schedule for her next sailing.

Does anyone know what was fixed  in Cherbourg ?

Bow Thrusters

Absolutely Tony, what I meant was she's already had time off to fit a new bow thruster assembly and either it hasn't been a complete success or another problem has manifested itself this season. 

Chris

On 21/06/2019 at 11:22, Cabin-boy said:

On Twitter BF have given (what I think is) more precise information about the next batch of timetables. 

"our timetables will be released in two parts this year. November 2019 - March 2020 sailings will be released mid-July, and April 2020 - November 2020 sailings will be in released in October." 

Ed

Easter is now included in the first release which is up to the end of April which is sensible.

https://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/information/faqs/booking-information/when-can-i-book-sailings-for-winter-2019-and-summer-2020

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just a bit off topic .. my car is at breaking point with weight .. everything but the kitchen sink !!  .. negotiating the ramp tomorrow will be fun .. Will BF allow my wife and daughters to board as footies  so as to lighten my load ... just a thought.

22 minutes ago, Geezer said:

Just a bit off topic .. my car is at breaking point with weight .. everything but the kitchen sink !!  .. negotiating the ramp tomorrow will be fun .. Will BF allow my wife and daughters to board as footies  so as to lighten my load ... just a thought.

No, I doubt it. In my experience they have to board in the car with you. And I think they also now have to disembark with you too.

(I occasionally used to travel back to the UK with friends to split the cost of taking the car between 4 or 5 and then leave them to exit the port by car directly on to the motorway system while I left the ship as a foot passenger and was either picked up shore-side by my father or walked to Portsmouth station to catch a train.Now that the signs you hang off your mirror include the number of passengers in the vehicle that might cause problems at the border.)

Be very careful with overloading your car. If the French police suspect it is over the maximum authorised weight they could well bring out their portable scales and check. At best you could get a fine. At worst it might be impounded, particularly if the tyre pressures are also wrong, and they'll check it thoroughly for other defects. Ed. 

43 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Be very careful with overloading your car. If the French police suspect it is over the maximum authorised weight they could well bring out their portable scales and check. At best you could get a fine. At worst it might be impounded, particularly if the tyre pressures are also wrong, and they'll check it thoroughly for other defects. Ed. 

Good God man does That mean I shall have to restrict the quantity of Merlot I was intending to import ???... Terrible I blame the bread rolls😬🙊

• Haha 1