Gareth

SAILING UPDATES: 2019 Latest News

The BBC has confirmed HMS Queen Elizabeth has indeed got a leak. She was off Plymouth a few days ago, practising flying her helicopters into, and out from, the Citadel.

1 hour ago, PeterR said:

The BBC has confirmed HMS Queen Elizabeth has indeed got a leak. She was off Plymouth a few days ago, practising flying her helicopters into, and out from, the Citadel.

Not the first time she's suffered a leak, although all ships leak to an extent, this is more laughable considering the ship is very high profile. People have commented in the past on Social Media about BAE and their poor quality builds, HMS Queen Elizabeth has had a number of problems in the past so has HMS Forth, both vessels built by BAE. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TonyMWeaver said:

although all ships leak to an extent, 

Well I jolly well hope B/F ships don't leak.  Questions need to be asked. Is there to be an official statement? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wortley said:

Well I jolly well hope B/F ships don't leak.  Questions need to be asked. Is there to be an official statement? 

Not any more they don't. The company has a range of different-shaped bread snacks for plugging any holes that may be identified. Ed. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, Cabin-boy said:

Not any more they don't. The company has a range of different-shaped bread snacks for plugging any holes that may be identified. Ed. 

Please, not the bread debate again.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, TonyMWeaver said:

Please, not the bread debate again.

I know, I'm loaf to bring it back! Ed

Edited by Cabin-boy

8 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Watch it, guys. Tony's not going to be bappy about this. Ed. 

He might heel over .

2 hours ago, Gareth said:

All ships leak.  (Slightly).  That’s why they have bilge pumps.

This one sounds like a bit more than the bilge pumps could cope with..

36 minutes ago, Paully said:

This one sounds like a bit more than the bilge pumps could cope with..

Indeed.  Seems as if it was to do with a burst pipe rather than ingress through the hull itself.

• Like 1

I'll try and give it a coat of looking at tomorrow evening on our return on the Bretagne... depending on how good the lunch was of course ūüėĀūüĎć

• Like 1

Having trawled this thread I am up to speed on many topics but not on what I was looking for! I understand that the PA  has been repaired but has a new problem that requires parts to be made and thus has returned to service on three engines necessitating a shorter route from Plymouth. I have a booking in late September and am starting to feel that this is in no way definite especially if the three engine plan doesn't work out or yet further problems arise. Would that be a fair assessment? I am heading for a fixed date and this is the only option unless I go the week before, which is probably full by now anyway! Thoughts please

She is managing the 3-engine schedule ok, and will stay on it (departing from Plymouth) until the new engine is fitted over the winter.

Just been advised that the Cap's departure from Santander this evening is delayed due to a technical problem. Any idea what's wrong? 

13 minutes ago, Tregastel said:

Just been advised that the Cap's departure from Santander this evening is delayed due to a technical problem. Any idea what's wrong? 

She arrived and departed Portsmouth 90 minutes late yesterday, it's possible the issue has been sorted and she's just playing catch-up.

Edited by TonyMWeaver

6 hours ago, tedbiker said:

Having trawled this thread I am up to speed on many topics but not on what I was looking for! I understand that the PA  has been repaired but has a new problem that requires parts to be made and thus has returned to service on three engines necessitating a shorter route from Plymouth. I have a booking in late September and am starting to feel that this is in no way definite especially if the three engine plan doesn't work out or yet further problems arise. Would that be a fair assessment? I am heading for a fixed date and this is the only option unless I go the week before, which is probably full by now anyway! Thoughts please

To answer your original question, the repairs were not 'substandard'. They were sufficient to allow the ship to still operate through summer. The alternative to only operating from Plymouth and at reduced speed was to take the ship out of service for three plus months during high season. 

As has already been said, the current schedule is being maintained, and there is no reason to assume your plans will be disrupted any further than a change of departure port.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TonyMWeaver said:

She arrived and departed Portsmouth 90 minutes late yesterday, it's possible the issue has been sorted and she's just playing catch-up.

Thanks. She's just docked in Santander.

7 hours ago, tedbiker said:

Personally I think your journey on Pont Aven is secure, but if your difficulty is departing from Plymouth then you might be able to transfer to a Friday or Saturday sailing from Portsmouth on one of the other two ships - depending of course on availability, so talk to customer services if that would help you. Bon voyage. 

19 hours ago, Tregastel said:

Thanks. She's just docked in Santander.

The Cap is currently two hours behind schedule due to ongoing engine problems.