Jump to content
Gareth

SAILING UPDATES: 2019 Latest News

Recommended Posts

19 hours ago, Tregastel said:

Thanks. She's just docked in Santander.

The Cap is currently two hours behind schedule due to ongoing engine problems. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tregastel said:

The Cap is currently two hours behind schedule due to ongoing engine problems. 

 

Due in Portsmouth tonight at 21:15 - 90 minutes later than scheduled.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Update: Very strange - looked very much like she had a tug to help her off the berth, and used the western entrance, but is currently crossing at 33 knots, so no sign of any issues

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, The Ferry Man said:

Update: Very strange - looked very much like she had a tug to help her off the berth, and used the western entrance, but is currently crossing at 33 knots, so no sign of any issues

I was a on a day return from Portsmouth to Caen yesterday......the weather changed quite dramatically about an hour or so from Caen, and remained so until about an hour out on the return journey - a strong breeze and quite choppy seas ( remainder of the journey almost flat calm ) Oustreham town was almost obscured by flying sand - perhaps the conditions were similar in Cherbourg, hence the need for tug assistance.

Andy

Edited by ac_freeman
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, TonyMWeaver said:

Due in Portsmouth tonight at 21:15 - 90 minutes later than scheduled.

I was on MSM from Caen last night, she arrived just ahead of us ( we turned at the port entrance ( near to where QE berthed ) to save time while she was turning into the berth), we had to wait for the shore crew to finish with the Cap before they could take of us, we were around 15 - 20 minutes late berthing due to this - glad I was a foot passenger, with Etretat having just arrived from Le Havre, Cap arriving late and MSM all arriving with minutes of each other it was utter chaos for the poor car drivers, just a mass of queuing traffic.

Andy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ac_freeman said:

I was on MSM from Caen last night, she arrived just ahead of us ( we turned at the port entrance ( near to where QE berthed ) to save time while she was turning into the berth), we had to wait for the shore crew to finish with the Cap before they could take of us, we were around 15 - 20 minutes late berthing due to this - glad I was a foot passenger, with Etretat having just arrived from Le Havre, Cap arriving late and MSM all arriving with minutes of each other it was utter chaos for the poor car drivers, just a mass of queuing traffic.

Andy

I'll second that! Border Control was very busy. Not sure what's wrong with the Cap, but the starboard engine was clearly producing more power than the port engine. All I could get from the crew was that the slow running was due to "a problem wiz ze moteur"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Queues are often worse in the evening.

I came over from Ouisterham on MSM this morning, she arrived about 5 mins early &  was not heavily loaded. Unloading was quick and queues at passport control minimal. We were on the motorway before 1:30 (and the timetabled arrival time was 1:15).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, David Williams said:

The Queues are often worse in the evening.

I came over from Ouisterham on MSM this morning, she arrived about 5 mins early &  was not heavily loaded. Unloading was quick and queues at passport control minimal. We were on the motorway before 1:30 (and the timetabled arrival time was 1:15).

Worse the other way, we got off Normandie at 1508, by the time we passed the ferryport  car park it was 1600.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/7/2019 at 19:25, wortley said:

Personally I think your journey on Pont Aven is secure, but if your difficulty is departing from Plymouth then you might be able to transfer to a Friday or Saturday sailing from Portsmouth on one of the other two ships - depending of course on availability, so talk to customer services if that would help you. Bon voyage. 

It's just a massive pain, last time we didn't reach our pre booked/paid accomodation till 1.30/2.00am, and it's not this is a one off it's increasingly looking like a box set! Thanks for all the responses my mind is now more worried and less worried, Schrodinger cat style !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It looks like Armorique has had issues getting into Plymouth tonight as she is still sat outside breakwater since around 7pm.

Going by her Ais track she has been going round in circles for last couple of hours.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Macc2010 said:

Going by her Ais track she has been going round in circles for last couple of hours.

Nothing to worry about, that's normal. She's not due in Roscoff until 08:00 local time on Tuesday, plenty of time to kill.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Strange one, but according to a friend in Plymouth, the sea state has been rather dodgy in that area today with the entry of 2 tankers being cancelled who have been requested to hold at the anchorage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, TonyMWeaver said:

Strange one, but according to a friend in Plymouth, the sea state has been rather dodgy in that area today with the entry of 2 tankers being cancelled who have been requested to hold at the anchorage.

Tony if you look at her tracking she didn't even make it passed the breakwater into Plymouth so looks like as you say it may be down to the weather.

Also strange that there is nothing on BF website or even Twitter about it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Macc2010 said:

is it not why Ships have radar So they can still see in fog?

Radar is primarily for collision avoidance at sea.  It is not for close-quarters harbour pilotage in poor visibility.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Gareth said:

Radar is primarily for collision avoidance at sea.  It is not for close-quarters harbour pilotage in poor visibility.

There is usually a lot of expensive RN ships at the Anchorage to avoid as well

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apparently Barfleur and NEX were both cancelled yesterday due to the wind and weather. I might be wrong but I think that's NEX'S first cancellation of the season so far. Ed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

Apparently Barfleur and NEX were both cancelled yesterday due to the wind and weather. I might be wrong but I think that's NEX'S first cancellation of the season so far. Ed. 

Yes it was. And it wasn't even that windy. Significant wave height was reporting 4.0 up there though, that explains NEX (3.5). Not sure why Barfy couldn't put a brave face on it though!!!! :O

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello, I'm seeking advice please. We're due to sail on Saturday's 0845 crossing from Portsmouth to Santander. Since Tuesday the weather forecast for the south coast/channel has been pretty horrendous - strong/gale winds. I'm convinced that the crossing will be cancelled but can't really do anything (change plans / look at alternatives) until it officially is. Does anyone know what the chances are of the crossing going ahead? I.e How bad does it have to be to get scrubbed? Also - with the forecast being so bad (since Tuesday) why do they leave it so late to cancel crossings? It's less than 48 hours to go now and the website still just says that everything is running to schedule. I'm worried that they'll leave it to the last minute and we'll be left high and dry! Many thanks, Pete.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...