Gareth

SAILING UPDATES: 2019 Latest News

5 hours ago, Macc2010 said:

Looks like PA is holding off from sailing to Cork till later this morning as still on her berth and Ais has her as arriving Cork at 17.30pm.

And Port of Cork have her  down for a midday arrival .

Gale force all the way to Cork , let's hope the stabilisers hold out and keep the (bread) rolls under control . 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Chef said:

Gale force all the way to Cork , let's hope the stabilisers hold out and keep the (bread) rolls under control . 

See - if they were triangular then keeping them in place wouldn’t be a problem! 🤣

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Chef said:

The free-surface effects of two thousand torpedo-shaped rolls must be quite terrifying!  Ed. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Chef said:

Normally in bad weather it's not the Bread rolls but the whole plate that hits the deck.

Thanks Ed.  “Heading to Falmouth” almost certainly means heading to take shelter in Falmouth Bay.  I’d be very surprised if the intention is to actually enter Falmouth harbour.

Edit:  Not sure how this relates to the current situation as the BF fleet tracker shows Armorique on normal passage from Plymouth heading across to Roscoff (?).

Looks like it was some ignorant reporter putting two and two together and making 13.  She is just on normal passage from Plymouth to Roscoff and headed west for a bit before turning south - as is common practice in heavy seas and overnight.  A total non-story.

• Thanks 1

I thought it seemed odd given the timing. 😂

I accidentally clicked on a 'send me alerts ' button on the Plymouth Herald website a couple of weeks ago and my phone now beeps every time a cat gets stuck in a tree or someone sneezes and they think the black death has arrived in the west-country. If anyone can tell me how to unsubscribe, please do. Ed. 

• Haha 4

16 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

I thought it seemed odd given the timing. 😂

I accidentally clicked on a 'send me alerts ' button on the Plymouth Herald website a couple of weeks ago and my phone now beeps every time a cat gets stuck in a tree or someone sneezes and they think the black death has arrived in the west-country. If anyone can tell me how to unsubscribe, please do. Ed. 

You can`t.......they want you to be one of the first to know when the black death does arrive in the West Country or a new type of triangular Cornish Pasty comes to market.............whichever comes first obviously

Dover is one of the most vulnerable ports to bad weather.  On the English side, probably the most vulnerable.  Doesn’t take much over a force 8 from any direction with south or east in it for them to close Dover Harbour.  

Which is hardly surprising when you consider where it is built and how narrow the entrances are.  I mean, who in their right mind thought it would be a good idea to build a port in an area at the base of some cliffs where there is no natural shelter at all, and do it by building out into an open sea that has a 4 knot tide running through it most of the time!  But for its location opposite the French coast, no marine engineer would ever have considered putting a port there!

Taken a few minutes ago from my window.  Watching seagull chicks on a nearby roof and something a lot bigger and white than they hove into view.  Grabbed the ipad and took a quick pic before she disappeared behind buildings.  What is she doing, she was docked in Cherbourg this morning as checked AIS, so she has sailed today then.  Never see her from my window, she anchoring out there or something?   Me sitting watching seagulls with the binoculars,  bit of bird watching and all of a sudden she appears... 

Strange...

342D17DC-2286-49E8-963B-F733D2AE5276.jpeg

5C0337E5-5012-4222-83CE-D893C971B3C5.jpeg

Edited by Khaines
  • Like 1

Apparently Pelican was delayed leaving Poole due to the strong winds so madam had to wait in the bay, she is on her way into port now.  Asked on Facebook...👍🙂

• Like 1

We have been sitting out the storm in a rather nice hotel near Rennes. I gather it's going to be safe to venture out in the morning and head for Sunday lunch in Roscoff -  and we will then commiserate with some of the gallant Armorique crew on the afternoon sailing home. 

• Like 1

On 10/08/2019 at 20:31, wortley said:

We have been sitting out the storm in a rather nice hotel near Rennes. I gather it's going to be safe to venture out in the morning and head for Sunday lunch in Roscoff -  and we will then commiserate with some of the gallant Armorique crew on the afternoon sailing home. 

That plan went well till we got to Roscoff port. The sailing news said Armorique was running to schedule and leaving on time at 1630 . Well no, that was optimistic !

Pont Aven, in from Ireland, was running seven hours late and hogging the berth, so little sister had to wait outside for ages, and then her unloading at Roscoff seemed to take for ever as cars crept past the slowest passport control I have ever seen. Does that man need a better computer or was he taking fingerprints?  Plymouth arrival was really slick, but we were three hours late by then and it was well past midnight. 

However the Armorique team were on good form.  The ship was packed, but clean and comfortable . Thank you.

• Like 1

The person who maintains the BF 'sailing updates' page must be on annual leave - info relevant for 14th-15th August is still displayed this morning.  😞