News threads can only be replied to, not created.

SAILING UPDATES: 2019 Latest News

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Pont Aven in Poole Bay - sheltering from the weather today.

Hello Fadah, hello Mudda, I have got a dodgy ruddah And I think I must inform ya That I cannot turn around a corner But the ship yard they will sort it Even if they

Golly that's pushing it Neil, I think they're just praying for any sort of boarding for now.... Chris

Posted Images

On 19/08/2019 at 08:49, nottingham said:

The person who maintains the BF 'sailing updates' page must be on annual leave - info relevant for 14th-15th August is still displayed this morning. ¬†ūüėě

BF really have a problem maintaining this, in addition they deliberately slow down the release of information in order to  inform passengers sailing by sailing. Most other transport companies pass on information almost immediately either by having reliable information updated immediately on a searchable site or for immediate stuff being embedding via a specific twitter feed in the updates page.

I have seen tweets where the social media team say that they will ask for the page to be updated - maybe they should take responsibility for it !

Edited by David Williams

Yes. We hurried to Roscoff on 11 August because Sailings Updates said ferry was running to schedule, but what did we find? A three hour delay. Did we get a text message while we were on the way telling us not to hurry? No. Was it stormy that day? No. Did we get compensation for the delay? No again. Communications are not this company's strong suit. 

• 2 weeks later...

The st Malo ramp is broken and the overnight crossing tonight lands in Cherbourg instead.

29-08-19 Portsmouth to St Malo - Due to a technical error with the ramp in St Malo, this sailing will now be arriving into CHERBOURG. Arrival time is unchanged at 08:15.

30-08-19 St Malo to Portsmouth - Due to a technical error with the ramp in St Malo, this sailing will now be departing from CHERBOURG. Departure time is unchanged at 10:30.

Edited by David Williams

Blimey - a 9 hour day sailing from Cherbourg tomorrow!  You’d have thought they’d have given people more time to get up there - probably don’t need to leave Cherbourg until 1430 to enable the scheduled 1820 arrival in Portsmouth.

1 minute ago, Gareth said:

probably don’t need to leave Cherbourg until 1430 to enable the scheduled 1820 arrival in Portsmouth.

In the past, when on that sailing, I got up after my post-lunch nap, took a quick stroll out on deck for some fresh air and then wandered down to the cinema for the late film during the boring part of the crossing. I think the film generally starts at 2.30 or 3pm English time and I got a view of Cap de la Hague and Alderney from the rear deck at about the same time. Goodness knows what route they'll take tomorrow to kill time. Ed. 

Brittany Ferries haven't mentioned it on the Sailing Updates yet, but I expect that 'Normandie' will be delayed entering Portsmouth on Friday lunchtime due to 'HMS Queen Elizabeth' departing for America. The carrier's departure is scheduled for 12:20 but she has pull off the dock and turn, time at the entrance is expected around 13:00. The harbour will be closed from 12:00 until 13:15.

4 minutes ago, TonyMWeaver said:

Brittany Ferries haven't mentioned it on the Sailing Updates yet, but I expect that 'Normandie' will be delayed entering Portsmouth on Friday lunchtime due to 'HMS Queen Elizabeth' departing for America. The carrier's departure is scheduled for 12:20 but she has pull off the dock and turn, time at the entrance is expected around 13:00. The harbour will be closed from 12:00 until 13:15.

Yes the planned Normandie time will not be possible, the inbound channel will be closed from 11:35 

https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/qhm/portsmouth/shipping-movements/daily-movements?pdf=30/08/2019

Maybe they‚Äôll divert Normandie to Poole! ūüėÄ

I’m being facetious of course, but I wonder why it is the case that diversion to other French ports (notably Cherbourg) is common whereas diversion to other UK ports is pretty much unheard of?

2 hours ago, David Williams said:

The st Malo ramp is broken and the overnight crossing tonight lands in Cherbourg instead.

29-08-19 Portsmouth to St Malo - Due to a technical error with the ramp in St Malo, this sailing will now be arriving into CHERBOURG. Arrival time is unchanged at 08:15.

30-08-19 St Malo to Portsmouth - Due to a technical error with the ramp in St Malo, this sailing will now be departing from CHERBOURG. Departure time is unchanged at 10:30.

The return will be likely to be rammed too. We came back about this time 7 years ago and it was full. Will be a nuisance to all those customers having to get to Cherbourg. 

1 hour ago, David Williams said:

Pont Aven has not left Santander yet and seems to have some technical problems. It is at least 3.5 hours late so far.

BF saying its running 1hr 20mins late on their notorious `sailings update` page..but equally no clue as to why...MT shows PA still alongside in Santander but with the pilot boat standing off her, so something might be on the move.

Yes, she is going distinctly under par at the moment...

Position Received: 3 minutes ago (2019-09-02 20:45 (UTC))
Vessel's Local Time: 2019-09-02 22:45 (UTC +2)
Area: UKC - Biscay Bay
Latitude / Longitude:¬†43.4587¬į / -3.80592¬į
Speed/Course: 0.0kn / -

That means she is unlikely to catch up until Thursday night again when she idles to Roscoff.

Edited by hf_uk
8 minutes ago, hf_uk said:

Yes, she is going distinctly under par at the moment...

Position Received: 3 minutes ago (2019-09-02 20:45 (UTC))
Vessel's Local Time: 2019-09-02 22:45 (UTC +2)
Area: UKC - Biscay Bay
Latitude / Longitude:¬†43.4587¬į / -3.80592¬į
Speed/Course: 0.0kn / -

That means she is unlikely to catch up until Thursday night again when she idles to Roscoff.

She's off!

1.1kts now.

3 minutes ago, TonyMWeaver said:

Will be slow for a bit, Pilot needs to be taken off.

Yes, so 10.5 now. She's on her way. But that means an ugly turnaround tomorrow in Plymouth doesn't it? Most likely arriving around 11pm then having to get stacked up again full of all the camper-crew escaping now the kids holidays are ending...

• Haha 1
15 minutes ago, hf_uk said:

Yes, so 10.5 now. She's on her way. But that means an ugly turnaround tomorrow in Plymouth doesn't it? Most likely arriving around 11pm then having to get stacked up again full of all the camper-crew escaping now the kids holidays are ending...

If the current timetable is up to date and she left 4 hours later than scheduled, she should get to Plymouth at 19:00 tomorrow evening instead of 15:00.

56 minutes ago, TonyMWeaver said:

If the current timetable is up to date and she left 4 hours later than scheduled, she should get to Plymouth at 19:00 tomorrow evening instead of 15:00.

Yes, fair play Tony, good point. I was thinking of the Santander arrival time (1730) so plus about 5 hours. Apologies. That's not too bad then, she can catch up Thursday anyway:)

• Gareth locked and unpinned this topic