Gareth

SAILING UPDATES: 2019 Latest News

No idea Ed and a strange one. She pootled across at 12 knots yesterday, there was no berth available until Barfleur had departed, then returned last night and is at full speed today. Will try to ferret out some info...

Chris

6 minutes ago, Fine Whine said:

No idea Ed and a strange one. She pootled across at 12 knots yesterday, there was no berth available until Barfleur had departed, then returned last night and is at full speed today. Will try to ferret out some info...

Chris

Cheers. I didn't get time yesterday to look on MT to see if there was a dredger or some other vessel at work in Ouistreham which might count as a technical issue. I suppose it could be another of their pre-Brexit dry-runs that were announced last week. Ed. 

5 hours ago, daves_pad! said:

´Quality’ reporting frôm Plymouth Evening Herald...

https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/news/plymouth-news/helicopter-lands-emergency-brittany-ferries-3363328

(I’m sure Helo’s don’t land on BF, I’m sure they only ever winch on/off)

An eventful voyage today - after the first casualty was airlifted to hospital in Brest a second unrelated problem needed another helicopter airlift to hospital in Plymouth.

2 hours ago, wortley said:

An eventful voyage today - after the first casualty was airlifted to hospital in Brest a second unrelated problem needed another helicopter airlift to hospital in Plymouth.

Those damn bread rolls....

On 26/09/2019 at 20:14, Cabin-boy said:

Cheers. I didn't get time yesterday to look on MT to see if there was a dredger or some other vessel at work in Ouistreham which might count as a technical issue. I suppose it could be another of their pre-Brexit dry-runs that were announced last week. Ed. 

Ed you could be correct, 

We traveled back from the bubble yesterday (Fri 27th AM on Normandie) there  is a dredger Christohorus, working in Ouisterham, that's not unusual in itself as it is quite often seen in the channel but it seemed to have a flotilla of support vessel around it and was working very close to quays/ dock wall, on the sea side of the ramp. I would guess its carrying out Pre Honfleur works.  it made for an interesting departure. there is also a crane working on the Quayside not far from the Paul Spriet Quay, which may have been working on removing  that (the old original berth) it was  early so day worker were still probably having a pre work coffee or maybe just too windy to operate.

Our arrival into PIP was eventful, we were delayed holding station  between Southsea and Spitbank fort. While a Maersk Banana boat  came through the harbour   mouth, but that delay for which one the more human,  rather that Robotic members of Captain Fleurie's crew apologised. That delay was nothing as  after  the ship was moored up and some vehicles from deck 6 were disembarked, Disembarkation was stopped, The loading bridge was raised again and the boat was re positioned, All of which was accompanied by the normal BF Mushroom management.  The loading bridge was  then  re lowered and the remaining vehicles from deck 6 and deck 5 were allowed off.

The usual choreographed chaos ensued once off the loading bridge and ramp,  however once we were clear of the by now long queues of embarking vehicles, luckily we spotted  a Border Force booth with no Queue, a very rare event at Portsmouth and made a beeline for it.    

Having given our  canine her  customary post ferry exercise  in Port Solent  we made it to Langrish in time for Schools out to meet our Granddaughter from School which was a special surprise for her. with the chaos of the day we thought we would never make it!

• Like 1

This afternoon's Roscoff to Plymouth crossing arrived one hour early at 1910 instead of 2010. The announcement on board said this was due to advantageous currents. This is the first time I can recollect being early!

8 hours ago, westy said:

This afternoon's Roscoff to Plymouth crossing arrived one hour early at 1910 instead of 2010. The announcement on board said this was due to advantageous currents. This is the first time I can recollect being early!

Hope this momentous event didnt take Border Farce by suprise??😂

• Haha 1

Cork to Santander sailings til April 2020 now available to book by phone.  Seasonal Cork to Roscoff service recommencing Saturday 21st March with Pont Aven and economie service with Kerry on Monday 23rd March. Online bookings for full 2020 schedule available by mid/late October.

https://www.brittanyferries.ie/ferry-routes/2020-sailings-on-sale-now?utm_campaign=506OIRL-4119&utm_source=emailCampaign&utm_content=&utm_medium=email

That's the Rosslare myth knocked on the head then ... Irish ferries bookings from Dublin to Cherbourg are now out for summer 2020 .... just waiting on BF now to compare prices from Cork/Roscoff.

1 hour ago, straightfeed said:

UK BF website saying "mid October" date for release of 2020 summer timetables. French BF website says "16th October".
Nice to have an actual date published somewhere!

Stu

Agree  .. meanwhile Irish ferries are getting all the early bookings from this side while BF still decide on a date.

19 hours ago, Geezer said:

Agree  .. meanwhile Irish ferries are getting all the early bookings from this side while BF still decide on a date.

Not entirely true, as some of us would rather travel from Cork with BF, or better still from Rosslare with either Stena or whoever pinches IF old berth there. For those of us living in SE Ireland getting to Dublin Port involves two tolls (M50 and tunnel) and then the congestion at the port itself. Catching a ferry at Dublin is a bit like driving through Avonmouth.

3 hours ago, BigDW1946 said:

Not entirely true, as some of us would rather travel from Cork with BF, or better still from Rosslare with either Stena or whoever pinches IF old berth there. For those of us living in SE Ireland getting to Dublin Port involves two tolls (M50 and tunnel) and then the congestion at the port itself. Catching a ferry at Dublin is a bit like driving through Avonmouth.

I do love going from Cork myself, although coming from Belfast, Dublin is a great option for us ... just waitng for BF schedules now. Thanks for the info on Dublin port .. seems like a bit of a nightmare.

The Pont Aven is running 3 hours late again going to Santander, medical evac she made a change of course earlier presumably to meet a helicopter.  is it me or have there been a lot of medical incidents lately, I think there were 2 on one voyage last week.

Just noticed on the Irish website (updated today at 1230) in relation to the winter Santander sailings giving an outline of the schedule  -  Ex Cork Monday and Friday at 2230 with a 2 night crossing and ex Santander Thursday 1500 and Sunday 1200).   No Roscoff sailing similar to last year.   You need to call to book.   See attached screen captureIMG_20191007_150002.thumb.jpg.2c6104631ed063eb202030045f389938.jpg

Edited by ferrymancork

3 hours ago, Solo said:

The Pont Aven is running 3 hours late again going to Santander, medical evac she made a change of course earlier presumably to meet a helicopter.  is it me or have there been a lot of medical incidents lately, I think there were 2 on one voyage last week.

Don't worry!  They have developed a cunning plan to placate disgruntled passengers. A free bottle of water. 

Other replies on Twitter from BF seem to suggest that it doesn't taken that often but nevertheless they do have a letter template ready to use, just in case. 

Ed

35 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

That’s a rather unfortunate typo in the tweet.

It just snows the impotence of poof-leading what you have written before clicking 'summit'. Ed. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

13 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

It just snows the impotence of poof-leading what you have written before clicking 'summit'. Ed. 

Looks like a deliberate typo .... P and T are not even that close on the keyboard, you couldn't get it wrong.

It's most likely due to the use of 'predictive text' on his smart phone, confirmed by the lack of punctuation. It's very easy to make a twit (and yes that is the correct vowel) of yourself if you don't pay attention. 😉 Ed. 

18 hours ago, Solo said:

And now two more - one to Brest and one to La Rochelle.

Are we getting to the stage where Pont Aven needs to carry its own helicopter on the deck to take these old folks to hospital? Or fitness to travel checks before they let them go on board?

Edited by wortley
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, wortley said:

And now two more - one to Brest and one to La Rochelle.

Are we getting to the stage where Pont Aven needs to carry its own helicopter on the deck to take these old folks to hospital? Or fitness to travel checks before they let them go on board?

Perhaps it's just an excuse to visit Brest more regularly seeing as she likes the place. The old bird is pining for the fjords, or the estuary at least. Ed. 

• Haha 1