Gareth

SAILING UPDATES: 2019 Latest News

Just a thought about these medical evacuations by helicopter. If we end up in a no-deal situation and British passengers need to take out private medical insurance for their holidays, what happens if you are travelling to Spain and have a policy covering you for that country but then get transferred to a hospital in La Rochelle for treatment? It won't just be the inevitable suppository up the backside that will make your eyes water! Ed. 

• Haha 4

45 minutes ago, wortley said:

Or fitness to travel checks before they let them go on board?

Just imagine the paperwork !

I note that the evacuations a couple of days ago consisted of one for a 56 year old and one for an 80 year old.

I like the fact that if I fall ill I will be looked after, however it would be better if there was a bit more slack in the timetable as it affects the rest of the week & at present affects the Amorique as well as it has to shift berthing times.

1 hour ago, wortley said:

Seriously.....what medical staff does Pont Aven have on board? And what medical staff should she have on board?

This might answer some of your questions. It's not the same sea-area, or necessarily the same capacity of vessel, but the regulations and procedures are likely to be similar. 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://journals.viamedica.pl/international_maritime_health/article/download/IMH.2017.0027/41661&ved=2ahUKEwji4ZqrvYzlAhVLhxoKHb_-DgwQFjACegQIChAB&usg=AOvVaw2I120LxJtnARMHUVQYEOHY

Ed

• Thanks 1

Ironically I seem to bring bad luck when I travel on B-Ferries. So far this year

1x Medical evacuation just leaving Plymouth, so it had to turn back and unload the passenger

1x Engine problem, arrived late, and eventually towed in with tugs

1x door would not open

1x Bomb scare when I found a unattended bag stuck in the men’s toilet. Luckily the bag was collected, and probably a good talking to at the same. Loved the announcement thou “claim the bag or it will be thrown over board”

so if anyone is planning a trip soon, best find out when I’m travelling! 

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

This might answer some of your questions. It's not the same sea-area, or necessarily the same capacity of vessel, but the regulations and procedures are likely to be similar. 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://journals.viamedica.pl/international_maritime_health/article/download/IMH.2017.0027/41661&ved=2ahUKEwji4ZqrvYzlAhVLhxoKHb_-DgwQFjACegQIChAB&usg=AOvVaw2I120LxJtnARMHUVQYEOHY

Ed

Thank you Ed. An interesting article,  and the medical provision on those Color Line ships is certainly impressive - paramedic, remarkably well equipped on board infirmary, and the facility for 15 tonne helicopters to land on deck - but the maritime regulations appear to require nothing but a first aider.  Can anyone please clarify what the medical provision is on the various Brittany Ferries ships? 

8 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

Just a thought about these medical evacuations by helicopter. If we end up in a no-deal situation and British passengers need to take out private medical insurance for their holidays, it won't just be the inevitable suppository up the backside that will make your eyes water! Ed. 

Bring it on, suppositories are the new will of the people.😂

Just got at email that my sailing tomorrow, the 12:00 Portsmouth to Bilbao will run 5 hours late due to "a technical problem" - arrival time to be advised on board....

Anyone know what's happened?

Edited by Halfcrown
typo

2 hours ago, wortley said:

Can anyone please clarify what the medical provision is on the various Brittany Ferries ships? 

Taken from BF website.....

Chris

Are there medical services on board?

We have nurses on board our ships for emergency care only. They are on board all our ships except Normandie Express.

If you feel unwell whilst on board, or if you have any questions, please visit the information desk. Any special requirements must be clearly specified at the time of booking. We are not licensed to sell any medicines on board.

BACK TO : SHIPS AND PORTS

Thank you Chris, but it does seem that passengers needing medical attention are regularly being airlifted off because they can't be properly cared for on board, and Color Line, as Ed revealed, is providing much more than a nurse.

Edited by wortley

Ships rarely have facilities for any more than first response treatment onboard and that includes even large cruise ships. The priority is always to get the casualty ashore as soon as possible.

• Like 2

Medi vacs are more common than we realise.  Radio Cornwall has just reported one from a cruise ship yesterday, taken to Royal Cornwall hospital.

15 hours ago, wortley said:

Thank you Chris, but it does seem that passengers needing medical attention are regularly being airlifted off because they can't be properly cared for on board, and Color Line, as Ed revealed, is providing much more than a nurse.

The only way to avoid these helicopter evacuations would be to have a lab, pharmacy and surgical team on board.

The infirmary is well stocked and staffed by an emergency nurse. But ultimately it is better to get someone to hospital where every form of treatment and testing is available.

I don't think it's reasonable to expect a passenger ferry to be able to fully care for someone having a stroke, a heart attack or a broken arm for example.

• Like 1

With the amount of over indulging on food and free drink on cruises, it is any wonder that heart attacks are quite common.

15 hours ago, cvabishop said:

Believe me the drink isn't free! It's normally pretty expensive.

Alot of people now go for the drinks package as part of the deal, it does work out a heck of a lot cheaper than buying it by the glass.

Alot of people now go for the drinks package as part of the deal, it does work out a heck of a lot cheaper than buying it by the glass.

Indeed they do, but the drinks package is still expensive and once people have bought it many feel they need to get their money's worth by drinking more than is good for them or their fellow passengers which is where the root of the problem lies.

• Like 1

On 08/10/2019 at 18:50, Halfcrown said:

Just got at email that my sailing tomorrow, the 12:00 Portsmouth to Bilbao will run 5 hours late due to "a technical problem" - arrival time to be advised on board....

Anyone know what's happened?

Getting back on topic... Looks like the CF is carrying a problem (Bilbao departure today will be 5 1/4hrs late).  Anyone any further info on the "technical problem"?

31 minutes ago, Eriba-ist said:

Getting back on topic... Looks like the CF is carrying a problem (Bilbao departure today will be 5 1/4hrs late).  Anyone any further info on the "technical problem"?

There doesn't seem to be any further information about the actual problem but whatever it is needs then to open an access panel in the garage where motorbikes would normally be parked. Hence on Twitter there are a number of very annoyed bikers faced with a long drive or a 4-day wait for the next crossing. Ed. 

I would suggest the problem occurred 24-48 hours ago and she hasn't been able to catch up. She was bowling along at 25 knots in the channel yesterday heading for Portsmouth, almost the same in the Bay of Biscay today with a reasonable swell, whatever happened appears to have been resolved.

Chris 

She had an hidraulic trouble closing basement hatch. Finally spares arrived from Astander shipyard, although is not fully fixed. 

Cap left leaving abt 50 moto on quai that were duly diverted through Santander. 5 or 6 artics were left too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Fine Whine said:

I would suggest the problem occurred 24-48 hours ago and she hasn't been able to catch up. She was bowling along at 25 knots in the channel yesterday heading for Portsmouth, almost the same in the Bay of Biscay today with a reasonable swell, whatever happened appears to have been resolved.

Chris 

The problem occurred on Monday between Roscoff and Bilbao I believe.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, TonyMWeaver said:

The problem occurred on Monday between Roscoff and Bilbao I believe.

That would be strange as there is ample catch-up opportunity on that leg (which is undertaken at not much more than half speed).  Unless it happened near the Bilbao end, but that would have been on Tuesday morning.