Gareth

SAILING UPDATES: 2019 Latest News

There will probably a few car drivers also annoyed. The last three crossings on Cap we have ended up down there. When departing it's a bit claustrophobic waiting for the hatch to open. Probably need to get a bigger car!!!

7 hours ago, bokeron said:

She had an hidraulic trouble closing basement hatch. Finally spares arrived from Astander shipyard, although is not fully fixed. 

Cap left leaving abt 50 moto on quai that were duly diverted through Santander. 5 or 6 artics were left too.

This is accurate. It occurred when alongside, not on the crossing as has been suggested.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cabin-boy said:

The French sailing updates page appears to have been taken over by one of BF's gremlins this morning.  The information is there (and might even be accurate although I have my doubts) but it's suddenly become much more colourful.

https://www.brittany-ferries.fr/traversee/horaires/infos-trafic

Ed. 

Clearly held together with string!

Not sure where this should be posted, but........

A lorry broke down on the ramp when driving off Bretagne in St Malo this morning.  

It led to a very long delay for everyone and especially those trapped on Deck 5.

An elderly lady in a neighbouring car developed a claustrophobic panic attack. For very valid reasons explained to me later.

Her husband managed to help her out of the tiny gap the door would open and walked her over to a window to try to calm her, without much success.

Three cheers for the Brittany Ferries lady crew member who by chance appeared in the right place at the right time.

She immediately took control of the situation and reassured the now breathless lady that help was at hand.

She straightaway took her down to the opened door and fresh air and daylight, now cleared of the broken down truck, and waited with her until her husband

collected her as he drove off. This was an excellent response from a calm and efficient member of the crew. Well done BF ! 

• Like 5

Not sure if this is right for 2019 sailing updates page, but BF have announced an amended Poole Cherbourg timetable due to brexit

https://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/ferry-routes/ferries-france/poole-cherbourg/timetable

The below is taken from the sailing updates page:

Amended timetable from 30th October-23rd November
As a result of our agreement with the Department for Transport to provide additional capacity between France and the UK in the event of a no-deal Brexit, we have made some changes to our Poole/Cherbourg schedule during the period 30th October-23rd November. The updated timetable is available here. We are currently in the process of contacting all affected customers to offer alternative sailings. Bookings made on or after Friday 18th October already take account of the revised schedule and will not be subject to further modification. We sincerely apologise for any inconvenience that these changes may cause.

Oh dear - so they are going down the messing-around-with-existing-sailings route then.  I was sure they weren't going to do that.

In fairness its only the Poole Cherbourg route, just avoid it in the future, I will.

Edited by Paully

To be honest at this time of the year it makes very little difference, it's not as though there are hundreds of vehicles travelling at the moment (22 came off Barfleur yesterday) and there will be at least one car (me!) on her this evening. It seems that whatever happens up to the 31st October they will get slated, either too little space if everything goes pear-shaped or you've changed my crossing again...:S

Chris

7 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

What are they going to do on January the 31st?

Next Brexit date if we get another extension?  Supposedly the next date we could leave with no deal?  Looks like another 3 months is in the offing.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Khaines said:

Next Brexit date if we get another extension?  Supposedly the next date we could leave with no deal?  Looks like another 3 months is in the offing.

I'm not aware that the EU has announced any decision on that yet, so probably a bit premature to speculate.  The enhanced timetable on the Le Havre route (2-ship schedule) currently kicks in in December and goes through to mid-February.  The Poole-Cherbourg changes are only for November, and then go back to normal.  So it looks like BF is providing an enhanced service from the start of November through to mid-February, first through Poole and then through Le Havre (but not both at the same time).  Plymouth-Roscoff seems to be unaffected this time around - but perhaps unsurprisingly given the problems that we have discussed before about operating that route reliably through the winter months.

I've got to say I will miss sailing on the Pont Aven in July, as it's been our preferred choice for a lot of years now. When I enquired about the 50% deposit and not the usual 25% they basically said it is what it is and that I should take out insurance to cover it as it was non refundable ! ...... no thanks, 700 euro is a bit steep for any deposit.

I have booked Irish Ferries from DUB/CHER for around 400 euro less than BF wanted ... 100 euro deposit and 2.5 hours less driving time as I'm coming from Belfast to Dublin now and not Cork ..... I'm just waiting on the WBY to have an engine fire next year and we'll all be transferred to Cork with BF O.o

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Checking through the online timetables for Cork - Santander - Cork which are now live on website through to October 2020, the Kerry is operating the Route from next week until 11 September 2020, at which point Connemara returns to the route from mid September 2020 until end of October 2020.     The Connemara also reappears on Cork - Roscoff schedule from 05 October 2020.     

On 23/10/2019 at 23:59, jamess said:

Not sure if this is right for 2019 sailing updates page, but BF have announced an amended Poole Cherbourg timetable due to brexit

https://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/ferry-routes/ferries-france/poole-cherbourg/timetable

The below is taken from the sailing updates page:

Amended timetable from 30th October-23rd November
As a result of our agreement with the Department for Transport to provide additional capacity between France and the UK in the event of a no-deal Brexit, we have made some changes to our Poole/Cherbourg schedule during the period 30th October-23rd November. The updated timetable is available here. We are currently in the process of contacting all affected customers to offer alternative sailings. Bookings made on or after Friday 18th October already take account of the revised schedule and will not be subject to further modification. We sincerely apologise for any inconvenience that these changes may cause.

So does this timetable change stand - or is it back to plan A?

1 hour ago, wortley said:

I hope so as I am planning a Christmas treat for myself on one of the overnights from Poole, noticed they have those during November and want to take advantage of one while we have them.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wortley said:

I severely doubt it. What happened last time? They let them run the course, even if not used didn't they?

I wonder how much the nation has spent on no-deal preps which don't materialise!

'Mont St Michel' cancelled today, due to the weather. 'Normandie' is still sailing but at this time appears to be heading to Cherbourg, that may likely change.

3 minutes ago, TonyMWeaver said:

'Mont St Michel' cancelled today, due to the weather. 'Normandie' is still sailing but at this time appears to be heading to Cherbourg, that may likely change.

Thanks Tony.  Must be bad out there if they’re cancelling Ouistreham sailings.  That’s very rare for weather-related reasons.

Storm force 10 for Wight in the shipping forecast, but from the SW.  I was wondering if northerly gales were making Ouistreham inaccessible, but in SW winds that won’t be the issue.  Must just be general sea state, and the reason for Cherbourg just to shorten the crossing.