Gareth

SAILING UPDATES: 2019 Latest News

50 minutes ago, TonyMWeaver said:

Won't be until Sunday, arriving in Portsmouth at 15:15. She's still doing Sea Trials off Santander at the moment, she'll depart at 12:00 bound for Portsmouth on Saturday lunchtime.

Many thanks for that info 👍

And Portsmouth to St Malo overnight 4-5th replaced with morning sailing on the 5th. Screws me!!!! Booked on the Thursday night northbound. Need to be in UK Friday morning.

• Sad 1

Why does this affect your sailing Colin?

Edit:  I see - the delayed sailing ex-UK is not Thursday morning, it’s Thursday overnight.  It’s the St Malo departure that’s moved to a day sailing, leaving St Malo Friday morning instead of Thursday evening.

2 hours ago, colin said:

And Portsmouth to St Malo overnight 4-5th replaced with morning sailing on the 5th. Screws me!!!! Booked on the Thursday night northbound. Need to be in UK Friday morning.

Yes, sorry, haste and anger....? Because St Malo port will be affected b industrial action on Thursday 5th, the overnight sailing from Pompey on Wednesday, due to arrive +/- 08:15 Thursday, has been cancelled. It is effectively delayed 24 hours, now arriving Friday morning, turning round like in summer, and departing 10:30 arriving 18:30, so that she can resume the schedule with Friday night down, day in port and Saturday night up.

Hope this all works.... My 2 days of furniture moving with a hired Super U van now need to be done in one day. Assuming of course the industrial action does not end on Thursday.... I am booked back Sunday night. We shall see.

You have my sympathy. It is this continuing uncertainty about sailings whether from industrial action in France, mechanical problems with the ships or Brexit related distortions which have put us off our previous short breaks and holidays to France.

Dover - Calais/Dunkerque or the Tunnel may be a more convoluted route but perhaps offers more reliablility in reaching your destination at the time you want to arrive. All this over the last year or so has shifted our holiday destinations away from France and towards Greece which, despite the uncomfortable airline conditions, are more likely to get you to where you want to be when you want to be.

We go on holiday for a relaxing break, not to brave the obstructions imposed by French industrial relations etc. So Greece gets our Euros and not France. So be it.

The chap at BF towers was slightly nonplussed when I called about a sailing not announced as cancelled, asking if this meant the schedule would add a morning northbound sailing on Friday.... Recovered quickly and professionally, and at least I ge a few quid back for not needing a cabin.

• Like 1

Are there further strikes planned? We're booked on the Pont 16th/17th, thanks @Jim for sorting the member offers. Hope there is no disruption then. P&O mini cruise was the alternative, same price and much less driving for us in N. Yorks, but we were keen to see St Malo at Christmas and Pont Aven is a bonus. P&O rarely get disrupted though. Hope your respective journeys go well. 

No doubt some of the most radical strikers will not be in any hurry to return to work after 24 hours, so we shall see what transpires. I think the port action should stick to what has been announced. Unions are meeting in a couple of weeks time to decide on the next round.

I imagine that Ouistreham will still be working, it does not seem to be part of the big organised unions, it just prefers no notice strikes around local issues.

The Le Havre notice just talks about the 5th being the first day of a series of major public sector strikes, however they are normally good at coming back to work.

https://www.cgt-gpmh.com/actualité-locale/

Edited by David Williams