Gareth

SAILING UPDATES: 2019 Latest News

50 minutes ago, TonyMWeaver said:

Won't be until Sunday, arriving in Portsmouth at 15:15. She's still doing Sea Trials off Santander at the moment, she'll depart at 12:00 bound for Portsmouth on Saturday lunchtime.

Many thanks for that info ūüĎć

And Portsmouth to St Malo overnight 4-5th replaced with morning sailing on the 5th. Screws me!!!! Booked on the Thursday night northbound. Need to be in UK Friday morning.

• Sad 1

Why does this affect your sailing Colin?

Edit:  I see - the delayed sailing ex-UK is not Thursday morning, it’s Thursday overnight.  It’s the St Malo departure that’s moved to a day sailing, leaving St Malo Friday morning instead of Thursday evening.

2 hours ago, colin said:

And Portsmouth to St Malo overnight 4-5th replaced with morning sailing on the 5th. Screws me!!!! Booked on the Thursday night northbound. Need to be in UK Friday morning.

Yes, sorry, haste and anger....? Because St Malo port will be affected b industrial action on Thursday 5th, the overnight sailing from Pompey on Wednesday, due to arrive +/- 08:15 Thursday, has been cancelled. It is effectively delayed 24 hours, now arriving Friday morning, turning round like in summer, and departing 10:30 arriving 18:30, so that she can resume the schedule with Friday night down, day in port and Saturday night up.

Hope this all works.... My 2 days of furniture moving with a hired Super U van now need to be done in one day. Assuming of course the industrial action does not end on Thursday.... I am booked back Sunday night. We shall see.

You have my sympathy. It is this continuing uncertainty about sailings whether from industrial action in France, mechanical problems with the ships or Brexit related distortions which have put us off our previous short breaks and holidays to France.

Dover - Calais/Dunkerque or the Tunnel may be a more convoluted route but perhaps offers more reliablility in reaching your destination at the time you want to arrive. All this over the last year or so has shifted our holiday destinations away from France and towards Greece which, despite the uncomfortable airline conditions, are more likely to get you to where you want to be when you want to be.

We go on holiday for a relaxing break, not to brave the obstructions imposed by French industrial relations etc. So Greece gets our Euros and not France. So be it.

• Like 1

The chap at BF towers was slightly nonplussed when I called about a sailing not announced as cancelled, asking if this meant the schedule would add a morning northbound sailing on Friday.... Recovered quickly and professionally, and at least I ge a few quid back for not needing a cabin.

• Like 1

Are there further strikes planned? We're booked on the Pont 16th/17th, thanks @Jim for sorting the member offers. Hope there is no disruption then. P&O mini cruise was the alternative, same price and much less driving for us in N. Yorks, but we were keen to see St Malo at Christmas and Pont Aven is a bonus. P&O rarely get disrupted though. Hope your respective journeys go well. 

• Like 1

No doubt some of the most radical strikers will not be in any hurry to return to work after 24 hours, so we shall see what transpires. I think the port action should stick to what has been announced. Unions are meeting in a couple of weeks time to decide on the next round.

I imagine that Ouistreham will still be working, it does not seem to be part of the big organised unions, it just prefers no notice strikes around local issues.

The Le Havre notice just talks about the 5th being the first day of a series of major public sector strikes, however they are normally good at coming back to work.

https://www.cgt-gpmh.com/actualité-locale/

Edited by David Williams

There are weather-related problems for Plymouth-Roscoff. 

PLYMOUTH TO ROSCOFF / ROSCOFF TO PLYMOUTH

08/12/19 Plymouth to Roscoff 22:00 - We are sorry to advise that due to bad weather, this sailing has been CANCELLED. Please call 01752 648637 for advice and alternatives. Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience caused.

09/12/19 Roscoff to Plymouth 22:00 - We are sorry to advise that due to bad weather, this sailing has been CANCELLED. Please call 01752 648637 for advice and alternatives. Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience caused.

Ed

13 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

There are weather-related problems for Plymouth-Roscoff. 

PLYMOUTH TO ROSCOFF / ROSCOFF TO PLYMOUTH

08/12/19 Plymouth to Roscoff 22:00 - We are sorry to advise that due to bad weather, this sailing has been CANCELLED. Please call 01752 648637 for advice and alternatives. Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience caused.

09/12/19 Roscoff to Plymouth 22:00 - We are sorry to advise that due to bad weather, this sailing has been CANCELLED. Please call 01752 648637 for advice and alternatives. Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience caused.

Ed

I'll be surprised if disruption isn't more widespread Ed. Roscoff 10 - 12 metre swell forecast overnight Sunday through to Monday (that's why they've cancelled), Cherbourg and Caen 6 - 8 metres, there's quite a vicious spell of weather on the way...

Chris

1 hour ago, Fine Whine said:

I'll be surprised if disruption isn't more widespread Ed. Roscoff 10 - 12 metre swell forecast overnight Sunday through to Monday (that's why they've cancelled), Cherbourg and Caen 6 - 8 metres, there's quite a vicious spell of weather on the way...

Chris

The problem with the swell at Roscoff is that the berth is barely shielded from it.  Cherbourg and, to a lesser extent, Ouistreham have more protection inside the harbour such that the berths remain tenable.

Tomorrows 13h30 Roscoff - Plymouth sailing now brought forward by one hour to 12h30 if anybody is on that one and not aware. (info from Mrs FW)

Chris

50 minutes ago, colin said:

My return to St Malo now going to Cherbourg. Oh joy....

The only consolation is you can call in and see Chris for some sustainance!!

How is it that with so many not running tonight we still have the Etretat, going in the high winds tonight. ??

Portsmouth to Caen / Caen to Portsmouth

We are sorry to advise, due to bad weather the following sailings have been cancelled. Please contact our reservations team for advise and assistance on 01752 648637. We apologise for the inconvenience this has caused.

08/12/19 - Portsmouth to Caen 22:45

08/12/19 - Caen to Portsmouth 23:00

09/12/19 - Portsmouth to Caen 08:15

09/12/19 - Caen - Portsmouth 08:30

Portsmouth to Cherbourg / Cherbourg to Portsmouth

All services are operating to schedule.

Portsmouth to St Malo / St Malo to Portsmouth

08/12/2019 Portsmouth to St Malo 20:00 - Now Portsmouth to Cherbourg

We are sorry to advise that due to bad weather your sailing from Portsmouth tomorrow evening is being diverted to Cherbourg. Departure time is unchanged at 20:00, with arrival in Cherbourg at 08:00 on Monday 9 December. Please call 01752 648637 if you would like advice or to discuss alternatives. Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience caused.

09/12/2019 St Malo to Portsmouth 09:20 - Now Cherbourg to Portsmouth 13:30

We are sorry to advise that as a result of bad weather, your sailing was diverted and will now be leaving from Cherbourg. The new departure time is 13:30, with arrival in Portsmouth unchanged at 18:20. Latest check-in time is 12:45. (For foot passengers, there is a coach leaving St Malo at 09:00 for the Cherbourg departure). Please call 0044 1752 648637 if you would like advice or to discuss alternatives. Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience caused.

Portsmouth to Le Havre / Le Havre to Portsmouth

9/12/19 - Portsmouth - Le Havre 21:30 - We are sorry to advise, that due to a Harbour strike in Le Havre, this sailing has now been cancelled. Please contact our reservations team on 01752 648637. We apologise for the inconvenience caused.

Poole to Cherbourg / Cherbourg to Poole

08/12/2019 Cherbourg to Poole 18:30 - We are sorry to advise that due to bad weather your sailing from Cherbourg on 08-12-19 has been cancelled. Please call 0044 1752 648637 for advice and alternatives. Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience caused.

09/12/2019 Poole to Cherbourg 08:30 - We are sorry to advise that due to bad weather your sailing from Poole on 09-12-19 has been cancelled. Please call 01752 648637 for advice and alternatives. Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience caused.

Plymouth to Roscoff / Roscoff to Plymouth

08/12/2019 Roscoff to Plymouth 13:30 - We are sorry to advise that due to bad weather your sailing from Roscoff tomorrow will be departing 1 hour earlier than scheduled at 12:30. Latest check-in time is 11:45. The expected arrival time in Plymouth is 18:00. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused.

08/12/19 Plymouth to Roscoff 22:00 - We are sorry to advise that due to bad weather, this sailing has been CANCELLED. Please call 01752 648637 for advice and alternatives. Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience caused.

09/12/19 Roscoff to Plymouth 22:00 - We are sorry to advise that due to bad weather, this sailing has been CANCELLED. Please call 01752 648637 for advice and alternatives. Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience caused.

UK - Spain

Portsmouth to Bilbao / Bilbao to Portsmouth

08/12/19 Portsmouth to Bilbao 23:30 - We are sorry to advise that due to bad weather this sailing will be departing later than scheduled. Latest check in will still be at 22:45 on Sunday evening after which the ship's doors will be closed. The ship will depart Portsmouth early on Monday morning however arrival in Bilbao will remain as scheduled at 07:45 on Tuesday. Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience caused.

Portsmouth to Santander / Santander to Portsmouth

08/12/2019 - Santander to Portsmouth 17:15 - We are sorry to advise that due to bad weather your sailing from Santander tomorrow will be departing later than scheduled. Loading procedures will commence from 16:00 on Monday 9 December, with a latest check-in of 17:30, as the ship's doors will be closed shortly after. The ship will depart early on Tuesday morning, with an expected arrival time in Portsmouth of 10:00 on Wednesday 11th.

My prediction was correct. We were in Roscoff last night for the end of season staff bash in Carentec, Mrs FW got an email at ten this morning to say Roscoff-Plymouth is now cancelled. I popped into the terminal to amend her ticket to be told everything is cancelled today, and the 2 options were tomorrow on the rearranged Pont-Aven sailing or overnight from Roscoff, nothing happening in Caen. So she’ll be off work tomorrow and in a way it suits us both so we are in the house near Cherbourg this evening. To be fair BF immediately offered a mileage allowance of just over £50, already credited to my account, but it’s strange the 16h30 ex Caen is not showing as cancelled, unless she’s already full and they’re prioritising freight, which probably makes sense with all the other cancellations.

As Eddies points out Etretat has sailed but it was at 14h15 and as she’s due in before 7 should miss the worse of the nasty stuff - I wouldn’t fancy being on her though ....

Chris

18 hours ago, Paully said:

The only consolation is you can call in and see Chris for some sustainance!!

Sadly need to get my Super U hire van back fast.... 250kms extra to pay too!

• Sad 2

38 minutes ago, colin said:

Sadly need to get my Super U hire van back fast.... 250kms extra to pay too!

If they haven’t offered already Colin go to the BF desk and ask for a mileage allowance down to St Malo - they did it for us this morning in Roscoff without any quibble.

Chris

1 minute ago, Fine Whine said:

If they haven’t offered already Colin go to the BF desk and ask for a mileage allowance down to St Malo - they did it for us this morning in Roscoff without any quibble.

Chris

Thanks Chris.

I have some time to burn, so BF desk and Ship & Castle?