Gareth

SAILING UPDATES: 2019 Latest News

2 hours ago, Gareth said:

I did hear a rumour that BF was planning on replacing its replacement for the triangular rolls with banana bread.  But then they realised they didn’t have enough geast.

Banana bread rolls now?????????????...oh no this could go pear shaped!!

1 hour ago, Cabin-boy said:

Well, if those lorries didn't actually load or unload anything it was a fruitless exercise. Ed. 

Sounds like sour grapes.

Received a call from BF informing me that Wed 11th Dec Portsmouth-St Malo is cancelled due to Industrial Action and that Friday 13th Dec Portsmouth-St Malo is in doubt for the same reason.

There is also another period of very strong Westerly wind due Thursday into Friday. May have an impact, together with the current schedule of mainly overnight sailings, only every other day in each direction?

With the combination of strike action and weather it appears the only BF sailings France-UK tomorrow 12th Dec are from Caen.

Cherbourg has succumbed to the weather and St Malo and Le Havre are on strike. There was no scheduled sailing from Roscoff.

And the French PM's statement on pensions has been badly taken by most major unions, so expect more, and more sustained strike action....

Good question.... Impossible to predict in the current situation. If, today or tomorrow, CGT and CFDT call for extended strike action, it could well result in an indefinite blockage of several ports, including St Malo.

Sorry not to reassure, but a very volatile situation.

• Thanks 1

And I have heard that Monday might well see a road hauliers' strike with blockades of fuel depots, roundabouts and motorways. As Colin says, nothing is yet clear so we'll have to wait and see. I'll update the dedicated strike thread if I have more news. Ed. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 07/12/2019 at 10:17, Gareth said:

Yes, a very vulnerable route in winter storms.

'Winter' seems to cover September - April inclusive down in Plymouth these days Gareth. I have lost sympathy for anyone living on the East Coast moaning about the weather:/ We seen to have a wet and windy fronts coming in daily for the majority of the year over here!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Tumnus2010 said:

How far ahead are these strikes decided? Off to St Malo on Monday, weather forecast looks ok now, but hoping strikes don't get in the way.

Strike info here. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, hf_uk said:

'Winter' seems to cover September - April inclusive down in Plymouth these days Gareth. I have lost sympathy for anyone living on the East Coast moaning about the weather:/ We seen to have a wet and windy fronts coming in daily for the majority of the year over here!

We get that weather all year round up here,why do you think we go south and south west for our holidays?

On 11/12/2019 at 14:30, Tumnus2010 said:

How far ahead are these strikes decided? Off to St Malo on Monday, weather forecast looks ok now, but hoping strikes don't get in the way.

We'll be on the same boat (or not).  You'll recognise me by the long flowing white beard, though after driving down from the far north through most of England it may be a touch blue by the time I arrive at Portsmouth.  The reindeer will be in the car deck, chewing tyres and knocking off wing mirrors.  Ho, Ho, Ho!

• Like 2

On 11/12/2019 at 15:30, Tumnus2010 said:

Looks almost certain that St Malo port will be strike bound on Tuesday 17th. National strike called in ports.

• Thanks 1

18-135mm Canon 1:3.5-=5.6 zoom on a C size sensor. What you are seeing is a crop of the centre of the frame. The lens has a stabiliser function. It does produce excellent images.

8 hours ago, cvabishop said:

Bretagne in Le Havre seen from Honfleur. She arrived around 6pm Monday night.

Magellan (66).JPG

Funnel looks smart with the black trim and the new logo. Logo, in general, looks better I think.