Gareth

SAILING UPDATES: 2019 Latest News

The departure of Cap Finistere has been cancelled this evening (Wednesday), both arrival in the morning at departure from Portsmouth at 09:45 also cancelled. From someone on board, "We've been told there is a problem, passengers were unable to board the ship" 

Update: - There was a crew change on Cap Finistere in Le Havre this evening and the new crew refused to work.

Edited by TonyMWeaver

10 minutes ago, TonyMWeaver said:

The departure of Cap Finistere has been cancelled this evening (Wednesday), both arrival in the morning at departure from Portsmouth at 09:45 also cancelled. From someone on board, "We've been told there is a problem, passengers were unable to board the ship" 

Update: - There was a crew change on Cap Finistere in Le Havre this evening and the new crew refused to work.

Why have the crew refused to work?

also is it the hotel crew or bridge crew?

5 minutes ago, Macc2010 said:

Why have the crew refused to work?

also is it the hotel crew or bridge crew?

Who knows, no details given but it was enough for the passengers to be told they couldn't board the ship. My source has been diverted to Caen for tomorrow's sailing.

5 minutes ago, TonyMWeaver said:

Who knows, no details given but it was enough for the passengers to be told they couldn't board the ship. My source has been diverted to Caen for tomorrow's sailing.

Have to say i know we do not know the reasons for it but at this time of year its a bit out of order for crew to start refusing to work for whatever reason.

we had it with PA crew a few years ago at Christmas time so hope its not CF time this year.

• Like 1

During the current strike here in France there have been several cases of deliberate sabotage reported in the press. Most concern power cuts, presumably caused by electricity-board workers. There was one in Angers on Tuesday in the industrial zone from 5am to around 8.30. When workers are frustrated that their normal strike action isn't producing results they tend to resort to more drastic options. Ed. 

The BF updates page is saying that the industrial action is not on board but in Le Havre.  

PORTSMOUTH TO LE HAVRE / LE HAVRE TO PORTSMOUTH

19/12/2019 Portsmouth to Le Havre - 09:45

We are sorry to advise you that as a result of industrial action in the port of Le Havre, your sailing from Portsmouth this morning at 09:45 has been cancelled. Please call 0330 159 7003 for advice and alternatives. Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience caused.

Ed

6 hours ago, Macc2010 said:

Have to say i know we do not know the reasons for it but at this time of year its a bit out of order for crew to start refusing to work for whatever reason.

we had it with PA crew a few years ago at Christmas time so hope its not CF time this year.

It’s a good number of years now since there was any industrial action from BF crew.  This current disruption is nothing to do with them.

3 minutes ago, Gareth said:

It’s a good number of years now since there was any industrial action from BF crew.  This current disruption is nothing to do with them.

Very misleading to say “the crew refused to work “ then.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Tumnus2010 said:

Doesn't Cap do a crew change in Roscoff still, en route to Spain on a Monday? Or is that just in summer?

It seems that they have skipped the Roscoff call in recent weeks due to the ability to make the crew change in Le Havre. Preseumably once the Le Havre cover is finished she'll resume her usual routine. Ed

7 hours ago, TonyMWeaver said:

If it's anything similar to mine, there's been a significant taxi bill for BF this morning. 

It could be shoreside, or on board personnel. The CFDT are the major union at BF and generally the most reasonable, but there are CGT staff as well. Tuesdays and Thursdays have been the "hot" days recently.

• Like 1

What might have inflamed attitudes is Macron`s pensions Tsar, Jean-Paul Delevoye, has had to resign after being found to have a high paid private sector job as well as links to SNCF pension funds, illegal under the Constitution apparantly. He is the guy whose being giving it to the CGT, or rather he was. I can`t image the Unions are in a forgiving mood, even if it is the season of goodwill...

According to the news, an Atlantic bomb is headed this way, - possibly some of largest waves ever seen could be in Biscay and or the coast of France/ Devon / Cornwall, depending on where it hits. Not sure if anyone else has seen anything about this?

4 hours ago, Jim said:

If it's anything similar to mine, there's been a significant taxi bill for BF this morning. 

I sailed on Armorique from Portsmouth to Ouistreham (return) but the return was cancelled due to the ship crew strike on the 16:30 from Ouistreham, this was in February 2017. BF put us in a taxi to Cherbourg to join Normandie, the cost on the meter was €326, and they ordered 21 taxis for passengers for this one cancellation.

2 hours ago, BZH29 said:

A Saturday night special ?, the forecast on weather site Ventusky doesn't look comfortable .

Wonderful .... I'm hoping I will miss most of that as the CF should dock in Santander about 3pm local time.

28 minutes ago, Northern_Si said:

Wonderful .... I'm hoping I will miss most of that as the CF should dock in Santander about 3pm local time.

I imagine BF would be cancelling more if they were going to be going through the centre of that beasty mass?

They usually know pretty far in advance when it comes to sea states and so on.

What ships are down that way at the moment? - no Pont obveously, but potentially BDS, Kerry, Connemara & CF?

1 hour ago, TonyMWeaver said:

I sailed on Armorique from Portsmouth to Ouistreham (return) but the return was cancelled due to the ship crew strike on the 16:30 from Ouistreham, this was in February 2017. BF put us in a taxi to Cherbourg to join Normandie, the cost on the meter was €326, and they ordered 21 taxis for passengers for this one cancellation.

Sounds about right - think LH to Ouistreham was nearer to 270, but that was after a night in a hotel. As I understand, pax had to pay for the hotel and claim back from BF whereas the taxi was provided and billed direct to BF. At least there was a happy cab driver!

All that said, this also should be a reminder to all that things may not go as planned and always be prepared to cover some contingency costs, even if you'll get them back. Make sure you have travel insurance/breakdown cover too. A 14 quid breakdown policy once covered several hundred quid of costs for us - all thanks to one lousy radiator pipe.

• Like 1