Gareth

SAILING UPDATES: 2019 Latest News

1 minute ago, colin said:

He also notes that the wind has now gone from SW to NW which is better protection at Millbay.

Will be interesting to see how she berths.  Will probably go stern-in if winds are still a problem.  I note Armorique has a tug in attendance.

Yet another reminder of how vulnerable Plymouth-Roscoff is to winter storms and why the route closes down for part of the winter period.

14 minutes ago, Gareth said:

Yes, fits with my theory.  Armorique’s behaviour was not consistent with unsuitable conditions for entry.  Something must have been going on in the harbour - there are three RFA vessels in the Sound; I wonder if one of them was having problems holding?

Having said that, it also looks like Armorique took a pilot for her entry into Plymouth this morning, so it may be that the delay was due to waiting for conditions to become appropriate for boarding the pilot.

Yes, Andy though pilot and tug may have been part of the delay, plus, if they were confident about the wind veering...

1 hour ago, Gareth said:

Yet another reminder of how vulnerable Plymouth-Roscoff is to winter storms and why the route closes down for part of the winter period.

Which is disproved by the xmas and half term sailings! If the port of Plymouth was good enough in Francis Drake's day I'm sure its good enough for BF.

I have seen Armorique take on a pilot even on perfectly calm days.

There are very good reasons why BF are wary when Navy ships are moving about. The navy have a security distance and are not very good at steering.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Gareth said:

Having said that, it also looks like Armorique took a pilot for her entry into Plymouth this morning, so it may be that the delay was due to waiting for conditions to become appropriate for boarding the pilot.

Gareth could the delay and use of pilot be down to Armorique's Master having his ticket renewed, I think I read somewhere that for Plymouth the PEC is looked at twice a year? 

Jonno - I think the delay was purely down to weather conditions for boarding the pilot.  Why the pilot was needed in the first place could have been a variety of reasons - including what you suggest and including what solo suggested.  But there is no intrinsic reason why the mere fact, in itself, of having a pilot would cause delay. In calm weather any need for a pilot would probably go unnoticed by passengers.

• Thanks 1

Just had a message on Facebook saying Barfleur had sailed today - apparently Force 11?  I checked AIS and yes, she is sitting in Cherbourg, so she must have done as checked this morning and she was docked in Poole, so assumed she wasn’t sailing.

I have to say, you’ve got to have nothing but admiration for the skill and professionalism of the officers on these ferries for the seamanship they show in keeping these ferries running safely and successfully in these kinds of conditions.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Solo said:

Don't they always take a pilot when using a tug, they did last week when we were aboard.

Yes, it’s a requirement in Plymouth that a pilot is taken whenever a tug is requested. Le Havre has the same rule. 

21 hours ago, Khaines said:

Just had a message on Facebook saying Barfleur had sailed today - apparently Force 11?  I checked AIS and yes, she is sitting in Cherbourg, so she must have done as checked this morning and she was docked in Poole, so assumed she wasn’t sailing.

I was on this sailing and it actually was not too bad. Once the front went through at 1200 the winds veered more to the West and dropped considerably allowing the master to manouver off the berth. At sea there was a reasonable sell running but not too bad. I work on ships as a deck officer so am probably a bit immune to it however!.There were certainly some green looking people around.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, robbie said:

I was on this sailing and it actually was not too bad. Once the front went through at 1200 the winds veered more to the West and dropped considerably allowing the master to manouver off the berth. At sea there was a reasonable sell running but not too bad. I work on ships as a deck officer so am probably a bit immune to it however!.There were certainly some green looking people around.

Thanks for that.  Have been a bit green myself recently with a bug so not been paying much attention to sailing updates. 

5 hours ago, Khaines said:

Thanks for that.  Have been a bit green myself recently with a bug so not been paying much attention to sailing updates. 

Sorry to hear that Khaines...hope you get better soon! I have to say Barfleur handled it well..she's a great little ship with bags of character. Can see why you are a fan.

• Like 2

I popped down to Portsmouth Harbour earlier, it's blowing a hooly out there and with that horrible misty rain. I won't be going back for photos of 'Cap Finistere', I'm going to wait.

Edited by TonyMWeaver

Sailings for 'Barfleur' cancelled this Saturday due to the poor weather.

Industrial Action in the Port of Le Havre on Tuesday 19th March - The sailing from Portsmouth to Le Havre on Monday 18th March at 23:30 has been cancelled.

Edited by TonyMWeaver

PORTSMOUTH TO LE HAVRE / LE HAVRE TO PORTSMOUTH

18/03/19 Portsmouth to Le Havre at 23:30 We are sorry to inform you that as a result of strike action taking place in the port of Le Havre on Tuesday 19 March, this sailing has been CANCELLED. Please call 01752 648637 for advice and alternatives. Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience.

FOOT PASSENGERS - If you chose to transfer your booking to travel to Caen at 22:45, a coach transfer has been arranged between Ouistreham and Le Havre on Tuesday morning. Please call 01752 648637 to accept this or to discuss alternatives.

19/03/19 Le Havre to Portsmouth at 17:00 We are sorry to inform you that as a result of strike action taking place in the port of Le Havre on Tuesday 19 March, this sailing has been CANCELLED. Please call 01752 648637 for advice and alternatives. Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience.

3 hours ago, Eddies said:

PORTSMOUTH TO LE HAVRE / LE HAVRE TO PORTSMOUTH

18/03/19 Portsmouth to Le Havre at 23:30 We are sorry to inform you that as a result of strike action taking place in the port of Le Havre on Tuesday 19 March, this sailing has been CANCELLED. Please call 01752 648637 for advice and alternatives. Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience.

FOOT PASSENGERS - If you chose to transfer your booking to travel to Caen at 22:45, a coach transfer has been arranged between Ouistreham and Le Havre on Tuesday morning. Please call 01752 648637 to accept this or to discuss alternatives.

19/03/19 Le Havre to Portsmouth at 17:00 We are sorry to inform you that as a result of strike action taking place in the port of Le Havre on Tuesday 19 March, this sailing has been CANCELLED. Please call 01752 648637 for advice and alternatives. Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience.

As written above.