Gareth

SAILING UPDATES: 2019 Latest News

1 hour ago, David Williams said:

I note from Twitter and the timetable that Normandie is off for maintenance for a week in June (18-23)  - does anyone know why ?

It doesn't seem to be urgent maintenance, otherwise they would cancel sailings sooner than June. maybe something to do with her scrubbers.

13 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

The latest seems to be that she needs to go into dry-dock for essential, but obviously not urgent, maintenance. 

At a guess, that will probably be the drydock in Brest.

I’m on Normandie at the moment, main engines have been grumbling away for the last half an hour and I still have a great view of - Ouistreham!

I’ll see if there’s anyone on board I know who might shed some light on the problem

Chris

2 hours ago, TonyMWeaver said:

Capture.JPG

Wise decision, keeps Connemara away from Storm Hannah, which has Cork under an Orange weather warning for tomorrow evening.  

6 minutes ago, Macc2010 said:

The PA will now arrive in Cork at 3pm tomorrow afternoon but she now seems to be heading back to Roscoff.

It seems that on Twitter they were confident yesterday that there would be no disruption to the crossing. 

https://twitter.com/BrittanyFerries/status/1121507822821347329?s=20

Perhaps they will offload the Kinsale day trip passengers back in Roscoff because there is clearly no point taking them all the way there if they don't get any time ashore. Ed

According to twitter she was heading back for a medevac, looks like she's heading back up to shelter now.

'Normandie Express' has been back in Cherbourg since Wednesday, ready to commence the Summer Season from this Thursday (May 2nd). Departing Cherbourg at 17:00 local time

Capture.JPG

Edited by TonyMWeaver

16 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

It seems that on Twitter they were confident yesterday that there would be no disruption to the crossing. 

https://twitter.com/BrittanyFerries/status/1121507822821347329?s=20

Perhaps they will offload the Kinsale day trip passengers back in Roscoff because there is clearly no point taking them all the way there if they don't get any time ashore. Ed

Enough time to pop across the road to Fowley's Pub for a pint  .

2 hours ago, TonyMWeaver said:

'Normandie Express' has been back in Cherbourg since Wednesday, ready to commence the Summer Season from this Thursday (May 2nd). Departing Cherbourg at 17:00 local time

Capture.JPG

May I ask Tony what platform do you use

Pont Aven delayed into Cork. At berth about 15.30. About six hours behind. Presume it will leave around around 19.00/19.30.

JMH_Pont_270419_1.jpg

JMH_Pont_270419_2.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Chef said:

Enough time to pop across the road to Fowley's Pub for a pint  .

Only just! 🤣 

Do you have any idea how many day trip passengers for Kinsale there might have been (I know they only run the offer if there are at least 25) and what they do in this type of situation? I've been trying to book one of the Cork excursions for three years now but have never found the right dates or the weather has been inclement and I've decided not to take the risk. Last night's weather wouldn't have gone down well with Cabin-girl and the cancellation of the excursion due to a delayed arrival would have been a major disappointment. Ed. 

What a great picture.  For a while I was struggling to orientate myself on where it could have been taken.  Then I realised, view from south of the berth, looking north, with the end of the jetty in view, as the ship is arriving at St Malo.  Very unusual view.

• Like 1

Pont Aven presently making 13kts off the Brittany coast abeam of Lorient. The tug is heading towards her. From the direction looks like she`s making for Brest.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Paully said:

Pont Aven presently making 13kts off the Brittany coast abeam of Lorient. The tug is heading towards her. From the direction looks like she`s making for Brest.

Ok, yes indeed.  (Sorry, I had inferred from the last line if the article that all was well and that she had resumed passage to Santander.  But you’re right, looks like she’s making back for Brest).

14 minutes ago, Gareth said:

What a great picture.  For a while I was struggling to orientate myself on where it could have been taken.  Then I realised, view from south of the berth, looking north, with the end of the jetty in view, as the ship is arriving at St Malo.  Very unusual view.

Probably taken from this point:

Dropped pin
Near Unnamed Road, 35400 Saint-Malo
https://maps.app.goo.gl/nzHKyUEKzD5qe6He6

From Neil's post it looks like there were no casualties, fortunately. It's a dead calm, misty morning here after the wet and wind weekend so I hope it's the same out at sea. Ed

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

Probably taken from this point:

Dropped pin
Near Unnamed Road, 35400 Saint-Malo
https://maps.app.goo.gl/nzHKyUEKzD5qe6He6

From Neil's post it looks like there were no casualties, fortunately. It's a dead calm, misty morning here after the wet and wind weekend so I hope it's the same out at sea. Ed

If you park at the seaward end o the Sablons marina car park, you can follow the steps and path up to the Cité d'Alet. Great spot or these photos. You can artistically get some greenery in shot at the right times of year..... The path goes all the way round past the Marégraphe (tide gauge) and the various bunkers, bringing you out on the Solidor side just above the excellent restaurant La Corderie.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Eric_Ireland said:

it's official: NO Pont Aven sailings this weekend to Ireland! Just talked to Roscoff port staff AND reservations office

Armorique set to cover these sailings. Surely doesn't have many ports left to of completed all of them?