Gareth

SAILING UPDATES: 2019 Latest News

11 minutes ago, MichaelBF said:

Armorique set to cover these sailings. Surely doesn't have many ports left to of completed all of them?

No, none.  Cork is the only BF port Armorique has yet to visit in BF service, and her visit there will complete the set.  I hope BF makes a bit of a song and dance about that, it is an amazing achievement.  No other ship in BF history has visited all 11 BF ports in service with the company.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Gareth said:

No, none.  Cork is the only BF port Armorique has yet to visit in BF service, and her visit there will complete the set.  I hope BF makes a bit of a song and dance about that, it is an amazing achievement.  No other ship in BF history has visited all 11 BF ports in service with the company.

I think Bilbao is the only BF port Bretagne hasn't visited - largely because it wasn't a BF destination when she served Northern Spain.

8 hours ago, Tregastel said:

I think Bilbao is the only BF port Bretagne hasn't visited - largely because it wasn't a BF destination when she served Northern Spain.

Bretagne has also not served Le Havre.  (I am not talking about merely visiting for layup purposes, I am talking about commercial service.  So Le Havre and Bilbao are the two ports Bretagne has not served).

(Mind you - more and more we probably have to start regarding Brest as a BF port as well!  Fortunately, I think Armorique has also ticked that box too!).

16 minutes ago, Gareth said:

(Mind you - more and more we probably have to start regarding Brest as a BF port as well!  Fortunately, I think Armorique has also ticked that box too!).

I don't think it can really be considered a BF port unless it appears in the timetables and has a permanent, dedicated facility with staff. Ed. 

12 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

I don't think it can really be considered a BF port unless it appears in the timetables and has a permanent, dedicated facility with staff. Ed. 

It was tongue-in-cheek.  (I should have winked!) 😉

Just now, Gareth said:

It was tongue-in-cheek.  (I should have winked!) 😉

I assumed it was or you would have included Gdansk too. Ed

Just now, Cabin-boy said:

I assumed it was or you would have included Gdansk too. Ed

Nah - Gdansk has never been used for departures and arrivals involving loading and unloading passengers.  Brest seems to have been doing this semi-regularly for about the past 5 years.

True. It must be the only place, other than offical ports where they have landed or embarked passangers. Unless anyone can think of another diversion port they have used in an emergency or unexpected situaton over the years (St Nazaire? Portland? but excluding Lorient with Etretat last year as that was for a charter exercise). Ed

It’s actually an amazingly handy facility that they have on their doorstep.  A natural port of refuge along the treacherous route from the UK to Spain that happens to have shelter, a roro ramp and a drydock all next to each other!

• Like 1

A pity that Armorique is scheduled in Cork for 20.00hrs  on Sat instead of the usual earlier am time , Celebrity Reflection will be alongside the deep water berth in Ringaskiddy until 14.00 hrs on Sat  . Would have made for a great photo . You could throw a heaving line from one to the  other they would have been that close .

16 minutes ago, Gareth said:

It’s actually an amazingly handy facility that they have on their doorstep.  A natural port of refuge along the treacherous route from the UK to Spain that happens to have shelter, a roro ramp and a drydock all next to each other!

Otto Ernst Lindemann also recognised the  qualities of Brest you’ve described above.

Alas he never found the out if they where true.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, rogerpatenall said:

I presume you are excluding the Christmas / New Year ports from this discussion?

Indeed.

Back on topic.  Does anyone know the new schedule yet?  Presumably Ply/Ros Friday night, arriving 7.00 depart Cork and get back late Sunday morning to resume Ros/Ply.  Which would mean losing 2 Ply/Ros rotations, which will affect some passengers who have had sailings changed because of the Brexit sailings.

Just checked the timetable, Arm departs Roscoff for Plymouth at 4.30 Sunday afternoon.

1 hour ago, Solo said:

Just checked the timetable, Arm departs Roscoff for Plymouth at 4.30 Sunday afternoon.

It's a bank holiday weekend for the UK so presumably the bulk of the traffic will be Friday out and Monday back. Ed. 

It would appear from the gap in the Plymouth-Roscoff timetable on Saturday 11 May that Armorique is also covering Roscoff-Cork-Roscoff  on that weekend.

• Like 1

I don't think this incident is as bad as some are making it out to be, has there been any confirmation on how the fire started?. Don't forget, 'Normandie' had an electrical fire on board in May 2016 but only missed 9 sailings as a result, if I remember correctly.

18 hours ago, Gareth said:

Very underrated vessel I think. 

• Like 1

The last 'definite' cancellation that I have seen so far is the 9th May. I wonder if they hope to restart the service from Roscoff on the 10th or 12th ?

With major hiccups to the timetable such as the current PA one, how do BF cater for those booked on the cancelled sailings? Does everyone (or as many as possible) get transferred to the Cap or is it a case of 'tough luck, here's a voucher for a later sailing' or what?

It is always a concern when reading about such outages as we sail Pmouth-Bilbao & return each Spring & autumn, hence my curiosity about how BF deal with such situations.

BF deals with disruption to travel plans exceptionally well, and its customer service is second to none.  If you were ever faced with this kind of problem you would be contacted personally and the options available discussed with you.  Compensation of some sort would also almost certainly be forthcoming.

• Like 1