Amy1

Pont Aven New Year Cruise to Honfleur

Well, the two actions are not mutually exclusive.  They did (presumably?) not know you were posting here.  There would have been nothing to stop posting here even if the matter had been raised on board.  And, depending on the onboard reaction, it may still have been necesary to contact customer service.  So I don’t think it was an attempt to sweep it under the carpet - just a point that if it had been raised on board, they may have been able to do something about it at the time. 😉

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Gareth said:

So I don’t think it was an attempt to sweep it under the carpet - just a point that if it had been raised on board, they may have been able to do something about it at the time. 😉

Exactly that, Gareth.

It's always best, as an initial action, to let the crew know - whether that be relating to your food, service, cabin etc - of your complaint. Then, depending on the resolution or severity, contact customer services afterwards.

In many cases, the crew contact customer services to let them know of the situation. Sometimes you will be contacted by the shoreside team, otherwise it is used to improve procedure and minimise reoccurrence. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, BAI4 said:

Exactly that, Gareth.

It's always best, as an initial action, to let the crew know - whether that be relating to your food, service, cabin etc - of your complaint. Then, depending on the resolution or severity, contact customer services afterwards.

In many cases, the crew contact customer services to let them know of the situation. Sometimes you will be contacted by the shoreside team, otherwise it is used to improve procedure and minimise reoccurrence. 

Indeed - always better to tell the crew as the first action rather than tell the whole internet. But, that said, with a lot of what gets aired on here (by me, included) it can be a general observation that a passenger isn't inclined to spend time formally complaining it but it will have left an impression that sticks in the mind.

On 09/01/2019 at 10:18, Cabin-boy said:

I have now received a reply to my complaint (via the French customer services' team seeing as I booked in France) apologising for the situation and an offer of compensation, which I will accept. I now consider the matter closed and have been reassured that the BF management will be making sure there is no repitition. I was also told that a direct complaint on board would have been more logical and would have resulted in either a fresh, clean cabin or my cabin being recleaned. But I think flagging up the problem on this forum first (and within minutes of discovering the situation) might have a better long-term effect and allow everyone to be extra vigilant from now on for similar lapses. Ed. 

Lots of comments lately about the cleaning! Are things really going downhill across the fleet, or is this just highlighted by a few occurrences on busy sailings or quick turnarounds...

It's difficult to know for sure as I don't travel regularly enough, or use all the routes, to make an accurate comparison. If I take the six individual crossings I made last year (either alone or with the family) then my conclusion about the cleaning and cabin preparation would be 50/50, broken down like this. 

NEX outbound - fine, nothing to report (I travelled two days after she returned to service) 

NEX inbound - ditto

Normandie outbound overnight - perfectly acceptable given the age of the vessel and that she was two months off her refit. A little wear and tear visible but nothing 'dirty'. 

Bretagne inbound overnight - not impressed by the cabin cleaning (I posted the details in mid-november if you wish to search back) and this was corroborated by others. 

Pont-Aven outbound daytime - Commodore cabin spotless - the only problem was the loose shower curtain. 

Pont-Aven inbound overnight - see above but the less said about that the better. The breakfast service in Le Flora was also below par due to what I took to be staff indifference but I didn't complain about that as the cabin was clearly the priority. 

(Just as an aside and to compare companies, If we are talking only about fast ferries then NEX looked almost like new. Condor Rapide is beginning to look tired and needs reupholstering while Condor Liberation is spotless, light, airy and a genuine pleasure to travel on.) 

Ed. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hf_uk said:

Lots of comments lately about the cleaning! Are things really going downhill across the fleet, or is this just highlighted by a few occurrences on busy sailings or quick turnarounds...

Well, Ed’s experience was after a turnround of more than 24 hours, so hardly quick!

• Like 1

Bretagne's commodore cabins have been dusty with poorly vacuumed carpets (if at all?), fluffed air con and even hairy showers and sinks for a few years now. I raise the issue every time with on board guest services which usually results in a five minute wipe over and a quick hoover. I've never been offered any form of compensation and have never been contacted by any shore based customer service team.

I'm mindful that in the first instance my size and shaved head can be intimidating so I back off, maybe I'm being too friendly?

I think one of the problems is that cabins which are only used during peak months, as the accommodation is under used at other times, are ignored. They're never cleaned prior to first occupation. Dust and fluff build up as the air con still operates whether they're occupied or not.

• Like 3