Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
veryoldbear

First Run of 2019

Recommended Posts

Of the season, Weds Portsmouth - Ouistreham on the Armorique. Bow loading at Portsmouth, and of course bow discharge at Ouistreham, so a bit of delay while we did the Car Deck Shuffle. Still in several minds about the Armorique. I do like the interior decor of ships to be vaguely nautical and not just like a swoopy swirly fast food restaurant. Anyway, now booked for a summer run on something called the Honfleur ... judgement deferred.

Of some concern is that although the Armorique was very lightly loaded it took half and hour to get off the ship and a further 45 minutes to queue and get through passport control. A bit like the bad old days at Poole. It's going to be hell come the summer when fully loaded ships pitch up at Ouistreham, Brexit or no Brexit.

Renewed Club Voyage and noticed I saved £680 last year

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the passport delays get any worse it’s bound to put people of travelling with BF, it will be very interesting to see how it plays out if I’m stuck in  queue in Plymouth from 2130 until 2330 it’s not going to happen again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 05/01/2019 at 18:30, neilcvx said:

If the passport delays get any worse it’s bound to put people of travelling with BF, it will be very interesting to see how it plays out if I’m stuck in  queue in Plymouth from 2130 until 2330 it’s not going to happen again.

When I return to Stansted, knackered, and am stuck in a queue of about 600 other people who just landed, I am not very happy - but what are you gonna do?! That's all part of it isn't it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, hf_uk said:

When I return to Stansted, knackered, and am stuck in a queue of about 600 other people who just landed, I am not very happy - but what are you gonna do?! That's all part of it isn't it!

It would be fair to say though that airports are geared for an almost constant flow of people and are staffed accordingly. In recent flights, I don't recall taking any more than around 10 minutes to clear the UK border - expedited by the self-service machines. In 2017, I waited for 2 hours from the arrival of NEX into Portsmouth on a Wednesday evening for the people I was meeting to have cleared border control in a car, and I've myself ended up waiting almost 45 minutes at the car booths on a winter's evening. Yes, it's part of the process, but it doesn't have to be as much of a poor experience as it seems to be currently at Portsmouth, Poole and Plymouth. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Jim said:

It would be fair to say though that airports are geared for an almost constant flow of people and are staffed accordingly. In recent flights, I don't recall taking any more than around 10 minutes to clear the UK border - expedited by the self-service machines. In 2017, I waited for 2 hours from the arrival of NEX into Portsmouth on a Wednesday evening for the people I was meeting to have cleared border control in a car, and I've myself ended up waiting almost 45 minutes at the car booths on a winter's evening. Yes, it's part of the process, but it doesn't have to be as much of a poor experience as it seems to be currently at Portsmouth, Poole and Plymouth. 

Fair enough Jim - but I would say you have been lucky. Stansted and Luton have been a nightmare for me. Well over an hour numerous times!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, hf_uk said:

Fair enough Jim - but I would say you have been lucky. Stansted and Luton have been a nightmare for me. Well over an hour numerous times!

Have you tried the Passport Fast Track system at Stansted. I know you have to pay extra and of course you shouldnt have to, but if you want to save time it really works and by passes the queues entirely..recommended

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hf_uk said:

When I return to Stansted, knackered, and am stuck in a queue of about 600 other people who just landed, I am not very happy - but what are you gonna do?! That's all part of it isn't it!

You use the service less often or not at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, hf_uk said:

Fair enough Jim - but I would say you have been lucky. Stansted and Luton have been a nightmare for me. Well over an hour numerous times!

That possibly as I have avoided Luton for 6 years, and the only time I've landed at Stansted we were the first flight to land after the airport had been closed for an emergency. ;) But, the point being is that Portsmouth is reliably taking an age these days - let's face it, it's bad enough that BF issue leaflets warning of it (and absolving themselves!). 

 

Thing is too, given the airlines all send passenger and passport information in advance, you'd have thought they'd know who was coming...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got the hang of airports !  Old age has some compensations !

A man with a wheel chair meets us at the airccraft door on arrival  and my wife is installed in it while I shuffle behind.  We are invariably escorted straight out through a discreet passport control booth marked "Diplomats and crew only". It has worked so far at Heathrow, Dubai and HongKong. Magic. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Border queues are a regular complaint on various aviation forums I frequent as well as Portsmouth..In fairness to the operators, such as BF, and even the port/airport operators themselves, this fault lies directly at the door of Border Farce..They have been cut back so far, they just about function..

 I do know the airline industry have tried pressure, but they get ignored..Border Force are a law unto themselves and therein lies Portsmouth's problems..Sending out warning leaflets is probably all BF can do..

   It's complaint after complaint made to Border Force is what is actually needed, if indeed anything works with those clowns...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, wortley said:

Got the hang of airports !  Old age has some compensations !

A man with a wheel chair meets us at the airccraft door on arrival  and my wife is installed in it while I shuffle behind.  We are invariably escorted straight out through a discreet passport control booth marked "Diplomats and crew only". It has worked so far at Heathrow, Dubai and HongKong. Magic. 

We had the same coming back from Canada in 2003, my wife had an emergency op in Canada and although recovering well we thought it advisable to have assistance at Heathrow. Met at the plane by a young chap with a wheelchair, through a few doors and shortcuts had us through immigration in no time, even took us to my uncle's car, who was picking us up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×