Sign in to follow this  
nburns2004

Future of King Seaways

Does anyone know the long term future of the King?

It suddenly dawned on me today that the ship is now 30, and has been running the DFDS route since 2006.

I have been sailing on the King for years, right back to 1994 when she was running the Plymouth - Santander route on BF.  

It will be a very sad day when she is finally scrapped, and not something I would like to see yet!

Does anyone know if DFDS have any plans to sell? or are they keeping her for the timebeing. 

On a seperate note, I am planning another trip to IJmuiden soon, does anyone know if they are still charging for you to use the Observation Lounge?

• Like 1

You sound a bit like me - I first knew this ship as Val De Loire, on holiday with my parents in 1993. I think I've actually now done more crossings on her under DFDS though. I think she'll soon have been sailing as the 'King' for as long as she did for BF, 13 years?

As far as the future is concerned, my guess is she'll be staying put for a few more years. There's no immediate replacements on the horizon and even if new ships are ordered, they'll take at least another couple of years. So, provided DFDS keep the route going, I think we should be able to enjoy her (and the Princess) for a while yet. 

If that hasn't jinxed things nothing will 😂

Edited by Ryan_H
Typing error

when all the newly ordered ferries arrive, a bevy of older tonnage will hit the market. Maybe DFDS will jiump on it and replace the King and Princess with a former Superfast or similar. But that is pure speculation, newbuilds for the route are not on the horizon for the next 4-5 years.

Edited by Raik

Its a question I ask many times myself and is a subject that is debated often on this forum. Having sailed on her just a week ago and despite her age she was in very good condition, her standard cabins are maybe showing age in comparison to modern vessels operating out of the UK but she is still very fit for purpose on the route she serves. I think it has to be said that the 'modern era' cruise ferries built in the late 80's early 90's show much better longevity especially when they have had good refurbishments, for example a when Le Quiberon hit 30 years in the early 00's it was clear even to a non-enthusiast she was on old ship - even in the 90's. Running in tandem with the Princess she is very popular and is making good profits for the company - so I would find it unlikely that DFDS would close this route - and if they were (I would not nevertheless put it past them) I am quite sure another operator would snap the route and vessels up.

Replacing the King in the near future seems unlikely as no new builds have been announced (which gives a couple of years) and there is not a lot of suitable younger tonnage available that they DFDS buy - as has been said earlier. As Raik said above 0 in the next 4-5 years when the new builds are launched there could be potentially lots of suitable younger vessels.

One thing I would note is that the turning circle in the Tyne seemed rather tight on departure, so I am not sure a longer vessel could be operated out of the Tyne.

So it would appear, and I certainly hope, that the King will be around for a few more years yet!

I've read recently on this and other sites that newbuilds may still happen sooner rather than later. Haven't DFDS revently done some research on newbuild ideas for this route? I'm pretty sure they are looking at all the options right now.