TonyMWeaver

P&O To Reflag Entire Fleet to Cyprus

It baffles me that every thing in this country appears to be owned abroad and our big investment companies own things all around the World.  Does it come down to avoiding tax, earning profits in one country and paying dividends in another?  There has to be some dodge in it somewhere, big money moves in different circles to the rest of us.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

They are also running a commercial operation and not a heritage monument so I really don't see a problem. I doubt most passengers would either notice or care where the vessel is registered. Ed. 

I'm sure you're right, most passengers won't care where the vessel is registered. But as I've said before I think it is a deeply cynical thing to do, and I think the government actually should care about this kind of thing and do more to encourage operators to fly the red ensign, especially those regularly using UK ports.

1 hour ago, Ryan_H said:

I'm sure you're right, most passengers won't care where the vessel is registered. But as I've said before I think it is a deeply cynical thing to do, and I think the government actually should care about this kind of thing and do more to encourage operators to fly the red ensign, especially those regularly using UK ports.

I'm surprised the French haven't had something to say, you could understand them registering in France or Holland but to go to a third country where they don't even sail is a bit dubious but then shipping companies have used flags of convenience for years.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Solo said:

I'm surprised the French haven't had something to say, you could understand them registering in France or Holland but to go to a third country where they don't even sail is a bit dubious but then shipping companies have used flags of convenience for years.

It's difficult to see what the French could say or indeed why they would want to say anything. The fleet has been reflagged within the EU therefore free trade rules apply.

I suppose the French couldn't say much, if they were flagged in France the French unions would certainly have something to say.  It does show it's all about tax or looser regulation not being flagged in the EU.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Solo said:

I suppose the French couldn't say much, if they were flagged in France the French unions would certainly have something to say.  It does show it's all about tax or looser regulation not being flagged in the EU.

??? It's Cyprus, they are being reflagged in the EU.

1 hour ago, G4rth said:

??? It's Cyprus, they are being reflagged in the EU.

I know, what I meant was the only reason for going to Cyprus was tax or regulation and not the EU flag, it would be more logical to flag them in northern Europe where they operate.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Solo said:

I know, what I meant was the only reason for going to Cyprus was tax or regulation and not the EU flag, it would be more logical to flag them in northern Europe where they operate.

I'd imagine it's a bit of both, Cyprus ticks both boxes of EU membership and a flag of convenience.

Otherwise, why not Panama?

• Like 2

It probably would have been Panama (like the Hull ships) if Cyprus hadn’t given them the topically convenient excuse of EU flagging to hide their transfer to a flag of convenience behind.  Flagging within the EU has never been important to them before, after all.  This way, they can pin on Brexit an unpopular decision that they would undoubtedly have made anyway.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Gareth said:

It probably would have been Panama (like the Hull ships) if Cyprus hadn’t given them the topically convenient excuse of EU flagging to hide their transfer to a flag of convenience behind.  Flagging within the EU has never been important to them before, after all.  This way, they can pin on Brexit an unpopular decision that they would undoubtedly have made anyway.

Makes absolute sense.

The irony that "Brexit" will now become the new "because of the EU"

11 minutes ago, Tumnus2010 said:

The Hull ships have the Bahamas flag

It also makes the trips over to negotiate the contracts all that more fun. Where would you prefer to spend an all-expenses-paid weekend? Morlaix or Nassau? Ed. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

It also makes the trips over to negotiate the contracts all that more fun. Where would you prefer to spend an all-expenses-paid weekend? Morlaix or Nassau? Ed. 

Morlaix, half the weekend would be lost travelling to Nassau.

P&O aren't the only operator attracted to Cyprus.  Irish Ferries have registered W.B. Yeats there, and Oscar Wilde was already there.  The practice is attracting trade union attention.  Following RMT's protest at Holyhead earlier today, the trade union SIPTU is planning on protesting Irish Ferries in Dublin Port later this evening.  SIPTU, along with RMT, say that the use of the Cypriot flag allows operators to avoid minimum wage legislation that applies in Ireland and the United Kingdom. 

Edited by Buzzbee
update timing of RMT protest
  • Like 1