eagleeye

St Anton

St anton is being brought to Yarmouth In March as maintenance is being done on the linkspan for a week so only cars and lightvans can be carried 

Blimey, are they still using that? I just assumed that was only compatible with the original Saints, I didn't realise the W-class could use it as well.

Wonder if it fits the Vow too...

9 hours ago, Pigeonrat said:

Blimey, are they still using that? I just assumed that was only compatible with the original Saints, I didn't realise the W-class could use it as well.

Wonder if it fits the Vow too...

Wasn't it built specifically for the W class?

As far as I was aware it was built at around the same time as St Faith in order to allow the four Saints to use the slipways - the only remaining ships that could do so unmodified were the C-Class, which therefore provided a backup in case the linkspans couldn't be used. The plan in 1990-ish was that the C's would be replaced shortly hence the St Anton was built to cover, but in the event the C's got a renovation and life extension in about 1993 and stayed for another fifteen years.

I presume the St Anton got used a few times over this period but certainly the C-Class, particularly Cenwulf, was used on Portsmouth to Fishbourne overnight on the old slipway occasionally when the linkspan was out of action.

1 minute ago, Gareth said:

Have to admit, this is a new one on me.  What is St Anton?

(Sorry to show my ignorance!)

I was just about to ask the same thing. From reading between the lines, I'm guessing it's some sort of pontoon or floating ramp structure which can be towed into position. Ed. 

25 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

I was just about to ask the same thing. From reading between the lines, I'm guessing it's some sort of pontoon or floating ramp structure which can be towed into position. Ed. 

Yes, it is. A similar one (might be the same one) has been brought in before and used in Lymington.

• Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, TonyMWeaver said:

Yes, it is. A similar one (might be the same one) has been brought in before and used in Lymington.

Thanks. Have you got a photo link? 😀Ed. 

The temporary timetable is currently in place on Lymington to Yarmouth for the linkspan maintenance. Has anyone managed to get a photo of this St Anton thing as I'm still at a slight loss as to what it looks like?! 

1 hour ago, Adamoore said:

Has anyone managed to get a photo of this St Anton thing as I'm still at a slight loss as to what it looks like?! 

Can do better than a picture, here is a video from YouTube of it in use and how it works. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Timmy said:

Can do better than a picture, here is a video from YouTube of it in use and how it works. 

That's fantastic thanks! 

You're welcome.  St Anton normally lives in Lymington tied up just a little bit passed the linkspan.

Can’t here that track without thinking of men behaving badly when Neil morrissey being drunk singing I an kneeling outside the crown!😂