Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
eagleeye

St anton

Recommended Posts

St anton is being brought to Yarmouth In March as maintenance is being done on the linkspan for a week so only cars and lightvans can be carried 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Blimey, are they still using that? I just assumed that was only compatible with the original Saints, I didn't realise the W-class could use it as well.

Wonder if it fits the Vow too...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Pigeonrat said:

Blimey, are they still using that? I just assumed that was only compatible with the original Saints, I didn't realise the W-class could use it as well.

Wonder if it fits the Vow too...

Wasn't it built specifically for the W class?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As far as I was aware it was built at around the same time as St Faith in order to allow the four Saints to use the slipways - the only remaining ships that could do so unmodified were the C-Class, which therefore provided a backup in case the linkspans couldn't be used. The plan in 1990-ish was that the C's would be replaced shortly hence the St Anton was built to cover, but in the event the C's got a renovation and life extension in about 1993 and stayed for another fifteen years.

I presume the St Anton got used a few times over this period but certainly the C-Class, particularly Cenwulf, was used on Portsmouth to Fishbourne overnight on the old slipway occasionally when the linkspan was out of action.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Gareth said:

Have to admit, this is a new one on me.  What is St Anton?

(Sorry to show my ignorance!)

I was just about to ask the same thing. From reading between the lines, I'm guessing it's some sort of pontoon or floating ramp structure which can be towed into position. Ed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

I was just about to ask the same thing. From reading between the lines, I'm guessing it's some sort of pontoon or floating ramp structure which can be towed into position. Ed. 

Yes, it is. A similar one (might be the same one) has been brought in before and used in Lymington.

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, TonyMWeaver said:

Yes, it is. A similar one (might be the same one) has been brought in before and used in Lymington.

Thanks. Have you got a photo link? 😀Ed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×