Sign in to follow this  
jonno

Booking Document Query

Just booked a hotel break for the end of February beginning of March and on receiving the emailed documents I've noticed that the make, model,  exact length & height of my car is printed on it. We usually book for the motorhome and it stays as the generic 6.5m x 4m, it's never specific.

Is this a new feature of have BF been doing this for while now?

When I booked my Christmas trip back in September, I originally planned to take the smaller car (Ford Tourneo Courier) and the dimensions were only what the booking engine offered (up to 1.85m in height and 5m in length). We then switched to the bigger car (Opel Zafira) when we realised that 7 seats might be useful and I updated my booking. The size category was the same so I simply amended the registration plate field. When I received my email confirmation (30 seconds later) the make and model had automatically been updated (and the specific dimensions too) so they are using an official (presumably Europe-wide) database to source the details. Ed. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, jonno said:

Just booked a hotel break for the end of February beginning of March and on receiving the emailed documents I've noticed that the make, model,  exact length & height of my car is printed on it. We usually book for the motorhome and it stays as the generic 6.5m x 4m, it's never specific.

Is this a new feature of have BF been doing this for while now?

It's been done for a while I think as we've had a few posts on where BF's reference data has been incorrect on heights etc - I think it's just the printing on the ticket is new. A couple of years back I had to phone to book a daytrip on NEX after the website kept saying there was space and then not. Turns out that although Mrs Jim's Astra and my Qashqai both fit in the 'car' category for prices, there are different sub-categories used that dictate where things can fit on the ship and in that case an Astra would fit, a Qashqai wouldn't.

(Of course, in that case, we were parked in an area where either car would have fitted quite happily...)

The data base that BF now use is fairly crude. I believe it to be called "CarWeb".
My Citroen Berlingo always comes up on the booking saying that my dimensions differ from the manufactures info. That's odd as my car handbook shows a range of heights depending on the model. This causes confusion and puts me over the 1.83m height. The model version is called the Berlingo "Feel" and is only 1.80m high. It has no external roof bars.
Last year my 6 bookings saw the height increase as an amendment on a few occasions plus phone calls from BF saying I will be charged extra along with the continual warning that I may not travel. Not being keen to pay for the air above my car I have spent ages phoning to get this changed so that the vehicle will be checked at checkin. That's a laugh as the staff look at the gauge marking on the kiosk wall, shrug their shoulders and let me on. 
I've spoken to others with the same model Berlingo in the garage on board and all of them get the same aggro.

I would love to feel good about BF but this system really irks me. Talk about "the computer says NO". I have 6 trips booked for this year so I expect the same trouble.

Still, we have the upcoming rescheduling of the timetable down here in Plymouth to fit in with "Government work". Cant wait'

Toodle pip

Stu

Mines didn’t come up as my car is so new it’s not on the database yet 😉 that doesn’t happen very often.

Yes I knew they were using the database, I just hadn't seen the make or model specifics before although I did notice they were on the 2011 LD examples both @neilcvx& @Cabin-boy posted on the Normandie/Economie thread. I haven't put my car on a BF ship since 2015 and the other four companies I have used since then, or an up and coming late March Fjordline booking aren't as in depth. I wonder if Irish Ferries use it?

It appears to be a recent addition showing the make & model.  My booking in October didn't show it, yet by Christmas, it was there.

On 12/01/2019 at 18:43, neilcvx said:

Mines didn’t come up as my car is so new it’s not on the database yet 😉 that doesn’t happen very often.

I'm replacing mine in the coming months and one of the key considerations is the height to avoid BF supplements!

49 minutes ago, Jim said:

I'm replacing mine in the coming months and one of the key considerations is the height to avoid BF supplements!

Ours is just a standard Leon hatchback £7 extra for the bike rack on the back .