eagleeye

Goodbye St Cecilia!

The Saints have been very successful ships for over 30 years, well designed and very suitable for the route although winning no prizes in a beauty contest but that is whe way with ferries these days.

It remains to be seen whether their successors will have equally  long and appreciated careers.

Seen this story doing the rounds on Facebook.  Unfortunately we have some very unpleasant people about with no respect. Tony shared this link about it so hopefully will not mind if I post it here.  The ship’s plaque was pinched.

https://www.uknip.co.uk/2019/01/ccruel-thief-with-sticky-fingers-steals-wightlink-ship-plaque-on-its-final-sailing/?fbclid=IwAR3F7gSm3QayMRd9vsktGUkktH5-3n59rpjwdqO5BlYDHm3vn8_ydgk3pzk

• Sad 1

Good grief. Some people really are disrespectful, sadly I can't say I'm surprised. It's not even like the ship is being scrapped so it was fair game, and even if she was, the plaque belongs to someone else anyway. I really hope they get it back but the sort of person who would cheerfully steal it is going to be the sort of person who would feel no guilt about it either.

Here's a pic of St Faith's one I took, I never got a chance to take a pic of St Catherine's or St Helen's one...

DSC_0891.JPG

The two built in Leith had their builders plates attached to the superstructure between the mezzanines, safely out of reach to all but the most resourceful and ladder-equipped thieves.

St Helen still has hers, St Catherine's I think was there until she went to Italy but is now just a painted-over mount which has been repurposed as a fixing for a CCTV camera.

St Helen -

image.png.56816159408c3201cd9c4065fa226945.png

St Catherine as it is now -

image.png.8305f17193f1aba461f96d74159751fb.png

5 minutes ago, hhvferry said:

St Catherine's I think was there until she went to Italy but is now just a painted-over mount which has been repurposed as a fixing for a CCTV camera.

At least that way if anyone tries to steal it, they'll be able to see who it was. Ed

Looks like it was a good send off! Thanks to all who have posted photos and videos for those of us who couldn't be down there on the day :).

23 hours ago, Khaines said:

Seen this story doing the rounds on Facebook.  Unfortunately we have some very unpleasant people about with no respect. Tony shared this link about it so hopefully will not mind if I post it here.  The ship’s plaque was pinched. 

https://www.uknip.co.uk/2019/01/ccruel-thief-with-sticky-fingers-steals-wightlink-ship-plaque-on-its-final-sailing/?fbclid=IwAR3F7gSm3QayMRd9vsktGUkktH5-3n59rpjwdqO5BlYDHm3vn8_ydgk3pzk

That's disgusting. It's one thing to have taken it down on the sly which is just as unacceptable, but surely it should have been obvious by the way it was presented that it wasn't just a random bit of memorabilia just lying around. Hopefully it will be returned to its rightful owner!

Just joined, does anyone know when and where from St Cecilia will leave for Italy. I would like to come see her for the last time, has a special place in my life . Tks 

'St Cecilia' is now alongside Hythe Marine Park after leaving Portsmouth this morning. She will remain there for approximately 4 to 5 weeks while she has her refit and repaint.

Edited by TonyMWeaver
  • Thanks 1

As if by magic, the missing Builders Plate from 'St Cecilia' has reappeared. It has been put down to a simple misunderstanding and no questions will be asked.

The owner of the plate is over the moon to have the plate back.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TonyMWeaver said:

As if by magic, the missing Builders Plate from 'St Cecilia' has reappeared. It has been put down to a simple misunderstanding and no questions will be asked.

The owner of the plate is over the moon to have the plate back.

Tony, have you been a naughty boy? 😀 Ed. 

5 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Tony, have you been a naughty boy? 😀 Ed. 

LOL, don't be silly. The only builders plate I've managed to get my hands on is the one from the former 'Portsmouth Queen' but I was given that legally.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TonyMWeaver said:

'St Cecilia' will be renamed 'Nando Murrau' after one of Delcomar's Senior Captains.

Or as I’ll now call her ‘Andy Murray’

• Haha 2

Great news that Cecilia's plate was returned, I sadly have to say I wasn't expecting that. Good to see the photo of St Helen's builders plate too...I was looking for it inside, I didn't realise that was it outside! That's like the Robb Caledon builders plates on the C-Class, mounted high up inside the car deck above the Mezzanine deck. Now I know what I'm looking for I can see it's clearly visible on most external photos of both St Catherine and St Helen. Interesting that despite being identical sisters built at the same yard in the same year, St Catherine's one was mounted on a lower part of the superstructure compared with St Helen's. Perhaps someone had borrowed the long ladder that day...

So we have the GB Conte, Anna Mur and Nando Murrau, though the old names will live on as they are embossed onto the hulls. I was told as a kid that sailors considered it bad luck to rename a ship, but certainly with ferries in particular it seems a very common thing!

Edited by Pigeonrat

When Barfleur went to DFDS she was renamed Deal Seaways, and then was returned to her original name when she cam 

22 hours ago, Pigeonrat said:

So we have the GB Conte, Anna Mur and Nando Murrau, though the old names will live on as they are embossed onto the hulls. I was told as a kid that sailors considered it bad luck to rename a ship, but certainly with ferries in particular it seems a very common thing!

When Barfleur went to DFDS she was renamed Deal Seaways, and then was returned to her original name when she came back to BF.  That must be quite a rare thing on ships, to be renamed and then get their original one back.  If Cuthred ever came back to the Solent - dream I know - she MUST be Cuthred again, forget Mira Praia.  Still don’t know her fate.  Last thing heard was she was moored upnin Setubal years ago.

2 hours ago, cvabishop said:

If Cuthred were to come back they would have to rename her Ryde...

If she is still about I bet she is in better nick...😉

On 29/01/2019 at 12:16, The Ferry Man said:

Do we know yet what she will be renamed for the Med? Usually are renamed in Marchwood

As I posted last week, 'St Cecilia' will be renamed 'Nando Murrau' after one of Delcomar's Senior Captains. The name should appear on AIS in the coming weeks.

• Thanks 1