eagleeye

Goodbye St Cecilia!

Sad to see her go, almost certainly the Saint that I've crossed on the most over the last 30 years - and I still think she's more useful than one of the W-classes, but there you go. At least she's going for further service with her sisters...

I suppose Faith will end up there ultimately, but with Wightlink modifying her for the new mooring system it suggests she'll remain for a few years yet.

7 hours ago, eagleeye said:

She is off to the med to join st Catherine and st Helen ....last day in service is 25 jan 

Any idea of what sailings she will be doing? what time is her last crossing?

4 minutes ago, The Ferry Man said:

Any idea of what sailings she will be doing? what time is her last crossing?

Click on a previous post by eagle eye 7 hours ago and the news paper article gives details.

• Like 1

The Saints have proved to be remarkably successful ships.

It is a pity that Wightlink have chosen to effectively consolidate the service on two ships for the future, losing the flexibility offereb by the Saints but costs trump customer interests every time unfortunately.

• Like 1

Well she has had a more important role close to the end of her Wightlink career. Running as 2nd boat just 2 weeks before departure. Wonder what her new name will be. Is there a theme at Delcomar as GB Conte and Anna Muir are the others names. Have not googled who they were yet. 

Edited by adicat

St Cecilia has been a stalwart of the fleet, and often the 2nd ship.  I also believe she is the longest serving Saint, beating St Helen by about 6 or 7 months?

St. Cecilia - March 1987 - Jan 2019

St. Helen - November 1983 - Feb 2015?

St. Faith - Spring 1990 - current 

St. Catherine - July 1983 - 2009?

feel free to fill in the gaps !

Tomorrow is 'St Cecilia's final sailing to/from Portsmouth & Fishbourne, I have been invited to the event as Wightlink are kindly using one of my photos (not sure which one). I'm hoping to do a live video via Facebook of her arrival back in Portsmouth.

Cecilia1.jpg

I remember her first day when they did the ceremony, on board and we had Capt wheeler with us too.

That's one more book closed for in the time of. ;-((

I think we should have a referendum. Keep Cecilia and get rid of Wight Sun. Then we can spend 2 years negotiating about how to go about it to suit no one 😂

• Like 1

They need her back as they are cancelling some sailings next week. What was the rush. It's this type of logic that mystified me. 

46 minutes ago, eagleeye said:

I would think her certificate is about to expire 

It's not. I checked when I crossed on her a few weeks back. April/ May time from memory.

One of the wights was on test in Solent today so probaly be in full service soon ..and as they have 3 ships for Pompey cecilia probably not needed it’s only  Monday that Clare is missing on tues and Wednesday only 1 sailing missing each way so 3 ships needed .its been said that cecilia is going in spring time so maybe they will get her ready at marchwood like the others ....

34 minutes ago, eagleeye said:

They will get her ready at Marchwood like the others ....

The others were done at Hythe Marine Park, 'St Cecilia' will be going there and possibly in within the next few days. Marchwood was indeed mentioned, have no idea why.