Sign in to follow this  
straightfeed

Practical preparations for a no-deal exit from the EU

Should it happen what's best way to prepare?

I need a Green card from my insurance company, I'll give them a bell. Shirly, all that foreign lingo on the back of the insurance policy certificate should impress Jonny foreigner!

Quotes from BBC website-

"If there is no deal with the EU, drivers may also need to get an International Driving Permit (IDP) to drive abroad.

From 1 February, the government will begin providing IDPs at 2,500 Post Offices across the UK."

Any ideas about where one gets all this paperwork from? Any idea where these 2500 post offices might be?

Are BF giving any advice for customers to get all this paper garbage or shall I just cancel all my bookings until I can get all this sorted.'

See, not mentioned the "B " word but I thought I might have at ago at a panic.

Tooddle pip,

Stu

Best thing is don't panic...wait and see what happens and then either carry on as before, most likely, or follow the up to date instructions/facts when they are given..

All main post offices issue IDP which I have had to get in the past for some countries outside of the EU...and for many years had to get a green card to travel in the EU...neither was any hassle..

• Like 1

As Paully says, go to the Post Office website to search for an approved office and follow the very clear instructions.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.postoffice.co.uk/international-driving-permit&ved=2ahUKEwj6vdGN1_TfAhUCzhoKHWYaCI4QFjAAegQICRAD&usg=AOvVaw3iCSrCAD7cwsbI8rpZ9x_0

Ed. 

Edited by Cabin-boy

2 hours ago, Paully said:

Best thing is don't panic...wait and see what happens and then either carry on as before, most likely, or follow the up to date instructions/facts when they are given..

All main post offices issue IDP which I have had to get in the past for some countries outside of the EU...and for many years had to get a green card to travel in the EU...neither was any hassle..

Yep, our Post Office 5 mins away has them and so does Knaresborough which is 10 mins away. Most are also open on a Sunday now as well.

The AA will stop issuing them from the end of January and won't issue any now for use post March. Oh and regardless of a No Deal scenario you won't need one for Ireland.

If you have an EU standard licence there is still a fair chance that an IDP won't be required for Italy Portugal or Spain.

Edited by jonno

3 hours ago, straightfeed said:

Should it happen what's best way to prepare?

I need a Green card from my insurance company, I'll give them a bell. Shirly, all that foreign lingo on the back of the insurance policy certificate should impress Jonny foreigner!

Quotes from BBC website-

"If there is no deal with the EU, drivers may also need to get an International Driving Permit (IDP) to drive abroad.

From 1 February, the government will begin providing IDPs at 2,500 Post Offices across the UK."

Any ideas about where one gets all this paperwork from? Any idea where these 2500 post offices might be?

Are BF giving any advice for customers to get all this paper garbage or shall I just cancel all my bookings until I can get all this sorted.'

See, not mentioned the "B " word but I thought I might have at ago at a panic.

Tooddle pip,

Stu

It all depends if you're a "fly by the seat of your pants" or a "belts and braces" sort of person. If you're the former then by all means accept the advise given above and take your chances. If you're the latter then get your green card and IDP and arrange your trip safe in the knowledge that whatever happens you'll be covered.

I've hired cars several times in foreign countries outside the EU and I have never needed anything other than my plastic driving licence. I've even had it inspected by the police in the USA and Mexico.

I don't understand how the EU would be any different.

Who recognises what licence has always been a bit strange. My stepfather never took a test in his life but was allowed to drive worldwide on his Jersey licence.

• Like 2

I think the licence problem is a legal one? At present, our UK licences are accepted across the 28 under EU law. IF the UK becomes a "third country" status, then each EU member state will have to decide what to do. Some will, of course, just look the other way. Some will enact national law to accept UK licences, specially if the UK reciprocates. Legally, I fear that there could be unfortunate consequences if national law has not been enacted?

2 hours ago, G4rth said:

It all depends if you're a "fly by the seat of your pants" or a "belts and braces" sort of person. If you're the former then by all means accept the advise given above and take your chances. If you're the latter then get your green card and IDP and arrange your trip safe in the knowledge that whatever happens you'll be covered.

Thing is G4rth the MIB are producing a new green card for release after March so any issued prior to then won't be valid.

I've always opted to buy an IDP, It's habit formed since the days of the green licence, now I use it as another form of I.D and it's kept separate from my wallet and passport in case either is lifted or lost. A fiver well spent as far as I'm concerned.

• Like 1

Think we are jumping the gun,we did not need these licenses before we joined and  in Spain people are saying nothing being said about this either,so I think we all should calm down a bit a lot of scaremongering going on.by both sides of brexit and it is total chaos at the moment.

6 minutes ago, jonno said:

Thing is G4rth the MIB are producing a new green card for release after March so any issued prior to then won't be valid

So on the 29th of March there is a possibility that nobody from the UK will be able drive in the EU? Of course I know high clever the UK government are but I didn't realise they were that smart.

32 minutes ago, nodwad said:

Think we are jumping the gun,we did not need these licenses before we joined and  in Spain people are saying nothing being said about this either,so I think we all should calm down a bit a lot of scaremongering going on.by both sides of brexit and it is total chaos at the moment.

From memory I needed a IDL to drive in some eastern European countries which are now in the EU.

The French are preparing contingency measures in the case of a No-Deal situation. I understand they will publish specific details in the next few weeks but in the meantime there is a website to keep people informed. 

https://brexit.gouv.fr/sites/brexit/accueil.html

As Colin says, it makes sense to get proof of postage for any applications that are made in the next coupe of months to avoid future problems. I shall still hold off sending anything until the start of March, I think, unless given specific instructions in the meantime. As long as the UK does not go back on a well-publicised commitment to respect the rights of EU citizens in the UK, then I can't see France and the other EU countries imposing draconian measures for fear of retaliation. 

One thing I did hear on French radio today was a suspicion that if TM asks for an extension of the deadline, it would have to be until the autumn as the EU will effectively be paralysed in May and June due to the elections (and on holiday for all of July and August). But, that would then mean a new team would be in power at the top of the EU institutions which then might just be more willing to offer concessions and help TM get her plans through parliament. Ed

• Like 2

All - please keep the politics out of this thread.  If you want to talk politics then go to the club (where several posts have been moved to).  This thread is for practicalities related to travelling in the event of a no-deal exit from the EU.

Thanks 😉

A bit more on the IDP's.

The new 1968 convention IDP will be available from 2500 post offices from February 1st. This is required for 23 of the remaining 27 EU member states plus Norway & Switzerland.

The current 1949 convention IDP will no longer be available from the AA & RAC from February 1st, only from the above mentioned 2500 post offices. This will be required for the remaining 4 EU member states. Spain, Cyprus, Malta & Ireland.

So as far as direct BF travel is concerned, the new 1968 IDP is needed for France with the current one needed for Spain & Ireland.

Green Cards requested prior to 29th March will still remain valid until their 12 month period expires or your insurance renewal, whichever is sooner.

Personally I found that having a Green Card was quickly interpreted by overseas officers and sped up my RTA claim as only the internationally recognised issued numbers were required rather than a translation of an insurance document.

3 hours ago, jonno said:

The new 1968 convention IDP will be available from 2500 post offices from February 1st. This is required for 23 of the remaining 27 EU member states plus Norway & Switzerland.

Cant find any info on the PO site saying that the 1968 IDP jobbie will be available from 1st Feb. I read it as the IDP is available now, not type specific.

Stu

Well, been looking at the Post Office website and the Int. Driving Permit issue is available at nearly every PO around me BUT its missing the small key that said its available during working hours. That's odd. Virtually every other service offered is available during opening hours except this IDP!
I've checked at the 2 major cities around here (40miles round trip plus city parking charges) and they say the same thing.

No phone numbers listed for all POs on the PO website. Despite emailing PO enquires all I get is a reply telling me I need one and to look at the website.

Any one have luck in SW England at getting the IDP 1968 convention done?

Thanks

Stu

I worked for the post office and nothing surprises me about anything they do.it is a complete shambles behind the scenes that the public do not see.

Jersey is not part of the EU but their citizens seem not to need an International Driving Licence when travelling in France.  

• Like 1

I think they follow UK rules when it comes to driving licences so if British citizens don't need one then neither do CI residents. That may therefore change in line with UK rules depending on what happens. I'm sure Nick from Guernsey or our friend from Man can confirm the situation. Ed. 

We visited our local PO on Monday and 45 minutes latter we were issued with our new IDP. Most of the time at the PO was taken up by the member of staff working out how to deal with the paperwork. On examination back at home it was clear the IDP did not have any more information in it. Our ordinary card driving licences contain the same information as the IDP. The only real difference appears to be the size of the fonts used on both documents making the IDP easier to read. I understood we moved to card driving licences to fit in with the EU regulations. It does appear to be a load of bureaucratic nonsense.  

3 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

I think they follow UK rules when it comes to driving licences so if British citizens don't need one then neither do CI residents. That may therefore change in line with UK rules depending on what happens. I'm sure Nick from Guernsey or our friend from Man can confirm the situation. Ed. 

My understanding from Post Office here for Isle of Man is that we will need a IDP - Cost used to be £24 for three years however it was pointed out that this did not comply with the Geneva Convention being one year maximum and as a result it was revamped to £11 for 12 month permit... The form is very straight forward and has to be produced with a current IOM driving Licence.