Sign in to follow this  
straightfeed

Practical preparations for a no-deal exit from the EU

1 hour ago, KeithR said:

It does appear to be a load of bureaucratic nonsense. 

Thanks Keith.

The "new" UK card DL really annoys me. I try to strip out, on my person , all identity to my home address, so that I can safely carry my home house keys. Why carry details of your address along with the keys to get in to it.

Remember the days when we opposed identity cards then started to carry driving licences with our identity on it!

On 18/01/2019 at 03:38, straightfeed said:

Cant find any info on the PO site saying that the 1968 IDP jobbie will be available from 1st Feb. I read it as the IDP is available now, not type specific.

Stu

I visited our local PO last Tuesday and the staff were in the middle of training on IDP procedures. I bought both easy enough and they also have a photo booth which made it all even easier.

Also spoke to both auto insurance companies I use, neither will issue me a greed card until they know for certain drivers will need them.

59 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Was that a deliberate typo? Ed. 

I slipped...'onest guv...They're free but I bet insurance premiums will rise as we all know admin costs will escalate.

I'm sure I've read that they'll be available online to complete so you can then download and print off a PDF, also... and personally I feel this is essential, esta muy importante/ tres important... any shade of green will do... It's an FAQ on their website... I kid you not.

What, you want another gem? A bloke emailed Comfort Insurance and mentioned that he was colour blind so how could he be sure his would be green.

I worry sometimes, I really do.

• Haha 2

Good morning "Little Engerlanders"

Got it. One brand new International Driving Permit. Post Offices getting up to speed on this now.

I do love Post Offices. Regardless of telling the lady what IDP I wanted she checked I had got it right. Now 2 staff members join the session to check all is going well.

This is rocking. Now "when am I going on holiday". Being cheeky I said "I don't go on holiday". I live there as it takes me. I might go tomorrow or sat next week or next month. 
Totally confused she said she would date it from today but I'm losing some days she warned. Will you be going before or after March 29th. Oh God, she is thinking of not giving me one so soon before March 29th. Shut up talking and pay. I have what can only be described as a cheap looking booklet made of material similar to post war ration books with lots of stamps plus exactly what my UK licence says but with half a dozen foreign languages added. A complete waste of time and money.

Try this one at POs- "whats in your parcel". "My parcel has no restricted or forbidden items" says I. That won't do- "Whats in it" !!!!
I once got told off for not taking my TV licence reminder to be stamped at the PO. It was duly stamped and thrown away by me.

Stu

• Like 1

2 hours ago, straightfeed said:

Good morning "Little Engerlanders"

Got it. One brand new International Driving Permit. Post Offices getting up to speed on this now.

I do love Post Offices. Regardless of telling the lady what IDP I wanted she checked I had got it right. Now 2 staff members join the session to check all is going well.

This is rocking. Now "when am I going on holiday". Being cheeky I said "I don't go on holiday". I live there as it takes me. I might go tomorrow or sat next week or next month. 
Totally confused she said she would date it from today but I'm losing some days she warned. Will you be going before or after March 29th. Oh God, she is thinking of not giving me one so soon before March 29th. Shut up talking and pay. I have what can only be described as a cheap looking booklet made of material similar to post war ration books with lots of stamps plus exactly what my UK licence says but with half a dozen foreign languages added. A complete waste of time and money.

Try this one at POs- "whats in your parcel". "My parcel has no restricted or forbidden items" says I. That won't do- "Whats in it" !!!!
I once got told off for not taking my TV licence reminder to be stamped at the PO. It was duly stamped and thrown away by me.

Stu

Look on the bright side..if you want to drive anywhere else outside of the EU you've already got what you will most probably need..

• Like 1

3 hours ago, straightfeed said:

Will you be going before or after March 29th

That is not as silly a question as it sounds. I believe that 1968 permits will only be valid after March 29 as we have not fully implemented the treaty yet - only had 50 years to do it! The website showing which version you need is date specific (https://www.gov.uk/driving-abroad/international-driving-permit), however is a pessimistic version - it is best to check with the Country you are going to as Countries like US, New Zealand etc are ok with UK licences even though they show as needing a permit.

2 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

That was my first thought on getting mine at Christmas. Ed. 

They remind me of the old 12 month passport you could get from the PO.

8 hours ago, jonno said:

They remind me of the old 12 month passport you could get from the PO.

And the day trip one - first ever ferry crossing was on Pride of Calais using one of those, non landing return.

I toddled into our post office today and got one just in case. It's only £5.50 and I suspect it will all get resolved eventually and I'll never need it. The only slight PITA is that my UK licence self-destructs in September and if it does all go wrong I'll need to get another one.