Macc2010

QHM & Southampton vts radio.

There use to be a live radio website where we could listen to ships and QHM & Southampton VTS but for some reason i can not for the life of me find it.

so is it still going and if so can someone put a link up please.

2 hours ago, Macc2010 said:

There use to be a live radio website where we could listen to ships and QHM & Southampton VTS but for some reason i can not for the life of me find it.

so is it still going and if so can someone put a link up please.

The one I used to listen to was a website run by a gentleman on the Isle of Wight, Tony, forget his surname  but he suddenly stopped approx. 2 years ago now, it is indeed a great loss.

• Thanks 1

Worth noting, as an aside, for those not in the know.  The majority of the Solent area falls under the jurisdiction of Southampton VTS.  This includes the main entrance to the Solent between the forts.  The jurisdiction of QHM starts at the entrance to the Portsmouth approach channel at the Outer Spit buoy.  I believe that the Swashway (used by the IoW ferries and many yachts) also falls into the jurisdiction of QHM.

37 minutes ago, Gareth said:

Worth noting, as an aside, for those not in the know.  The majority of the Solent area falls under the jurisdiction of Southampton VTS.  This includes the main entrance to the Solent between the forts.  The jurisdiction of QHM starts at the entrance to the Portsmouth approach channel at the Outer Spit buoy.  I believe that the Swashway (used by the IoW ferries and many yachts) also falls into the jurisdiction of QHM.

You're getting mixed up with the VTS areas.

http://www.southamptonvts.co.uk/admin/content/files/PDF_Downloads/vts limits.pdf

Harbour areas:

http://www.southamptonvts.co.uk/admin/content/files/PDF_Downloads/SHA Limits.pdf

Above shows the areas where who has jurisdiction.

Southampton merely run the VTS for the QHM area under an agreement, one of the reasons being that the majority of the traffic is Southampton bound. 

Any sort of legal issues/prosecutions out in that area and you'll be dealing with QHM not Southampton.

That map is entirely consistent with what I said.  All three of the areas shaded (in different ways) green are areas where you have to report to Southampton VTS on Ch 12.  The point where you have to switch to QHM on Ch 11 is the area, not shaded, inshore of Outer Spit, as I said.

Maybe the thing I’m getting confused about is use of the word “jurisdiction”?  Maybe I should have said reporting channel.  There is a switch in channel to monitor at the Outer Spit boundary.

re the previous monitoring..obviously it was technically possible to listen in online, anyone know how it was done or can it be done again or would be be going down a legal minefield if we tried?

57 minutes ago, Paully said:

re the previous monitoring..obviously it was technically possible to listen in online, anyone know how it was done or can it be done again or would be be going down a legal minefield if we tried?

Listening to radio transmissions that are not encoded is not illegal however under some circumstances making use of the information gained can be.

5 minutes ago, 5_ShortBlasts said:

Sorry Cabin-boy, I know it is tongue in cheek, but you have repeated yourself with message received!  Roger did that for you 😉 

Sorry, I forgot I wasn't talking to my wife and didn't need to say everything twice. Ed

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Gareth said:

The notion of the circumstances in which Ed would feel the need to Roger his wife is really something I'd rather not entertain! 😉

Er...what, Rodger the @Cabin-boy

Captain Pugwash has a (mate)lot to answer for!

Working for the Coastwatch, I can confirm that when vessels arrive in the area, they radio both Portsmouth QHM and Southampton VTS no matter which port they are heading for. It is the same when these vessels are outbound. @newda898 is correct, QHM has most of the authority of the Solent but ships also have to contact VTS in certain areas.

On another note, all Portsmouth bound vessels radio in to QHM 1 hour from OSB (Brittany Ferries Vessels included), these vessels also radio in from NAB, Warner Buoy, and Saddle Buoy for final clearance. They radio VTS when they pass somewhere between NAB and OSB (or vice-versa, if outbound).

Edited by TonyMWeaver
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, TonyMWeaver said:

Working for the Coastwatch, I can confirm that when vessels arrive in the area, they radio both Portsmouth QHM and Southampton VTS no matter which port they are heading for. It is the same when these vessels are outbound. @newda898 is correct, QHM has most of the authority of the Solent but ships also have to contact VTS in certain areas.

On another note, all Portsmouth bound vessels radio in to QHM 1 hour from OSB (Brittany Ferries Vessels included), these vessels also radio in from NAB, Warner Buoy, and Saddle Buoy for final clearance. They radio VTS when they pass somewhere between NAB and OSB (or vice-versa, if outbound).

Correct.  They have to radio in advance.  Ships entering Portsmouth have to keep QHM informed of their progress towards the forts, and have to obtain permission from QHM, on passing the Saddle buoy, to enter the Portsmouth Channel at Outer Spit.  Traffic not heading towards Southampton has no need to get involved with QHM and will stay on Southampton VTS all the way in.  They will still hear what they need to, regarding traffic outbound from Portsmouth, because traffic departing Portsmouth will keep VTS informed of its progress and intentions whilst still in the QHM area.

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, TonyMWeaver said:

1 hour ago, Gareth said:

Correct.  They have to radio in advance.  Ships entering Portsmouth have to keep QHM informed of their progress towards the forts, and have to obtain permission from QHM, on passing the Saddle buoy, to enter the Portsmouth Channel at Outer Spit.  Traffic not heading towards Southampton has no need to get involved with QHM and will stay on Southampton VTS all the way in.  They will still hear what they need to, regarding traffic outbound from Portsmouth, because traffic departing Portsmouth will keep VTS informed of its progress and intentions whilst still in the QHM area.

I think many of us, myself included, don't tend to appreciate that our sea lanes need just as much oversight and supervision as our airspace.

Thanks lads...

• Thanks 1

Some of the larger Container Ships and Vehicle Carriers, along with Cruise Ships, do in fact contact QHM to let them know they are passing through the area. They do so to find out if any traffic is heading to/from Portsmouth and it's the Southampton Pilot that will radio in to QHM. I hear it a lot on a daily basis.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As one would expect. Spithead/Solent from the Nab to Cowes is effectively a marine motorway with joining and departing traffic to and from Portsnouth without the benefit of an overpass. Plus of course the literally hundreds of leisure craft in summer who are constantly criss crossing the traffic lanes to use the local harbours.

It's amazing that there are not more 'situations' than is actually the case.

• Like 2