Sign in to follow this  
Geezer

Operational matters

A recent email has said the my sailing from Roscoff to Cork in July has been brought forward 1 hr to 20.30 ... just curious as to what are the 'operational matters' .. thanks.

Edited by Geezer

"Operational Matters" is a cover-all for just about anything that does not come into the categories of either "weather" or "medical emergency".  Given how far in advance the notice is, it is unlikely to be anything to do with mechanical problems with ship/linkspan.  Most likely something to do with either tides or other shipping movements.

(Off the top of my head I am wondering, maybe something to do with additional sailings that are being planned and the need to get the ship away from the berth in order to allow another ship to come in.  This could be an indication of developments in the Plymouth-Roscoff timetables that are in the pipeline post-Brexit).

I suspect it will either be due to the tides or perhaps, more likely, the new timetabling changes to accommodate extra Brexit-backlog sailings. If Armorique has had her times changed (and they don't seem to have been published yet) then your ferry (Connemara or PA) might need to clear the berth in Roscoff earlier to make way. Ed. 

1 minute ago, Cabin-boy said:

I suspect it will either be due to the tides or perhaps, more likely, the new timetabling changes to accommodate extra Brexit-backlog sailings. If Armorique has had her times changed (and they don't seem to have been published yet) then your ferry (Connemara or PA) might need to clear the berth in Roscoff earlier to make way. Ed. 

Beat you! :D

I'm slightly confused, because 2030 is the normal time for Pont Aven's departure from Roscoff to Cork.  It is this time in all the schedules....

2 minutes ago, Gareth said:

I'm slightly confused, because 2030 is the normal time for Pont Aven's departure from Roscoff to Cork.  It is this time in all the schedules....

It was always 21.30 on previous trips as was this one until they changed it.

We wish to inform you that, for operational reasons, the departure time of your sailing from Roscoff to Cork has been amended to the earlier time of 20:30hrs. Please find attached an updated ticket . Thank you once again for choosing Brittany Ferries.

It's true that the booking engine does sometime flash up a new time of departure or arrival (in red) which differs from the published timetable (often in St Malo due to tides or Condor Rapide's docking needs) but I will be interested to see what has occurred this time. Ed. 

The only change that would affect this is the Armorique doing Plymouth Roscoff in the afternoon and going back over night, surely they wouldn't change the Friday overnight from South bound to North bound.

28 minutes ago, Solo said:

The only change that would affect this is the Armorique doing Plymouth Roscoff in the afternoon and going back over night, surely they wouldn't change the Friday overnight from South bound to North bound.

The only thing I can think is that there must be another ship coming in.  I agree, they can’t pull the overnight from Plymouth on Friday, but brining the Cork departure forward can only be explained by adding in an overnight from Roscoff as well.

And, as a general rule, variations for tidal reasons tend to be in the timetables from the start.  It's not as if the tides can suddenly bring an unforeseen change at this stage - the times and theoretical heights of HW and LW are available years ahead of the timetables being published.  There can be late changes for "tidal reasons" caused by extreme high and low pressures affecting the heights of tide, but those are atmospheric developments that only become clear a few days ahead.  No, it is not possible for the time to need altering from the published timetable this far out for "tidal" reasons - there will be nothing in the tides that they know now but didn't know when the timetables were worked out.  So this has to be to do with another shipping movement.

I think you will find that this a new timetable that starts after March 29th (ring any bells) in case there is a NO Deal Brexit to help accommodate the extra crossings for freight as per their subsidy from the British Government you will probably see the Barfleur change as well and possibly other crossings. They can't just leave it to the last minuet ( like the Government) as they have to consider all the rest of the passengers booking their holidays and their other crossings and staffing.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Solo said:

The new timetable seems to have no effect on this.

Exactly. If the July changes follow those for April and May then Arm is in Roscoff mid-afternoon as usual which has no impact on what time PA needs to be clear of the berth. 🤔 Ed. 

3 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

Exactly. If the July changes follow those for April and May then Arm is in Roscoff mid-afternoon as usual which has no impact on what time PA needs to be clear of the berth. 🤔 Ed. 

One off call in Roscoff by W. B. Yeats ? 

1 minute ago, crechbleiz said:

One off call in Roscoff by W. B. Yeats ? 

Good idea. If there is a cruise liner due in Cherbourg and W B Yeats' length is such that she won't be able to fit in the berth next to the Cite de la Mer then maybe Roscoff is the default alternative. Until her timetable is released (and I don't think it has been yet) we won't know but it'll be interesting to see if that's the case. Ed. 

I think the answer is simpler than all that. Yes PA ideally leaves at 20h30:on Fridays, but in the past when OW was in town the same day and departed at 18h30 then PA’s departure was moved back an hour to 21h30, allowing sufficient time to load a full ship in high season. 

This arrangement is now no longer necessary as Irish Ferries have so obligingly pulled the Roscoff service.....:S

Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Of course.  Yes, that’s it. Thanks Chris.  That’s the explanation that fits everything we know - as you say, 2030 has always been the “usual” time in recent years, and if a sailing was delayed until 2130 then that will have been to accommodate Oscar Wilde.  Now that there is no need for that, the sailings that were in the system as delayed until 2130 can now revert to the normal time of 2030.  Geezer’s sailing must be one of those. 👍