Sign in to follow this  
eagleeye

Wight sun

On 17/02/2019 at 16:34, adicat said:

Frustrated as want to go on VOW but when I have been free she has been off the run. :S

She's amazing, I went to the Naming Ceremony and the vessel certainly doesn't disappoint. VoW Naming Ceremony

Edited by TonyMWeaver

10 hours ago, eagleeye said:

Supposed to be off to Falmouth shortly for rub a dub ..

She'll be in Falmouth today (Friday morning) arriving at 11:30, going to Dry Dock No.4.

It will be seized up by June. I still fail to understand why 4 vessels are not running peak Saturday's when capacity is still lower than the past. Are they trying to force people away from weekends? Surely they need 480 spaces every 2 hours having had 568nearly 20 years ago. 

I rather think that the 'investment' over the last few years has been aimed at cutting costs and exploiting a semi monopolistic advantage rather than enhancing the customer experience. Fewer, larger vessels sailing less frequently and with a capacity below that of potential demand plus vulnerability to disruption if one of the larger ships is out of service. Underneath the gloss the service is poorer.

The service will be running at near capacity at peak times and with better loadings ouside weekends as people look for alternatives. No need for 'offer' fares which seem to have dried up. Day trips for car & passengers are economically unaffordable now.

Last year we had a short break on the Island and the hotel offered discounted fares from either Wightlink or Red Funnel. This year the offer of discounts seems to apply to Red Funnel only.

Wightlink may be a commercial company but they are providing a vital public service. From what I have heard, the Islanders are not getting much benefit from the new setup either. As has been said in the past, more competition is needed but it is hard to see how it could be made to work in practice, especially for vehicular traffic.

Edited by cvabishop

There have been reports of a return crossing car and 4 people costing over £200 at Easter so us islanders can’t afford that .incidently I paid £33:80 for a day return on red funnel tues car and 2 people.the ferry was pretty full both ways 

I paid £33:80 for a day return on red funnel tues car and 2 people.the ferry was pretty full both ways 

That's a decent price. Problem for us is that Southampton is significantly further from us than Portsmouth plus more prone to traffic delays. Then when you factor in the longer crossing the payload time on the Island becomes pretty marginal.

Currently at Southampton and I guess paying her thing fees so why not free on the Hulk in Portsmouth?

2 hours ago, adicat said:

Currently at Southampton and I guess paying her thing fees so why not free on the Hulk in Portsmouth?

'Wight Sun' was having work done in Southampton but arrived back in Lymington at 13:30 this afternoon.

Wight Sun seems to be on all the time yet she is Portsmouth cover. Looks like they don't want Sky working too much. Thougjt Sun would be coming to Portsmouth just in case for festival reserve just in case Clare plays up.

It’s Wight light that’s not moved for ages ..most people won’t pay £200 + for a crossing with a car so extra ferry not needed ..even I don’t go to England if I can help it and the odd time I do go I have red funnel .ferry companies need to remember that wages are minimum over here 

Think Monday 3 vessels on L-Y as 40 minute intervals with each vessel getting 1 hour between each departure from the opposite side. Guess people go over staggering their journey and they come back in a fairly smaller time at once xD