martijon

Timetable query

I see Wightlink have amended their timetable until the end of this week due to late return of the St Clare into service, but there is a puzzling item in the printed timetables on the Island Echo website.  There are sailings at 0615 and 0915 marked with an asterisk saying crossing time 1 hour - any idea what these sailings are?

Wight sun is slower and will take an hour to cross (not sure why ) so they are leaving 15 mins earlier from Pompey  but this is good as any boat better than no boat and Wightlink are upfront with the reason I think they will unload Wight sun at Pompey pull off to let another boat in and come backin  to reload ..

Edited by eagleeye

6 minutes ago, adicat said:

Yes limited speed. Not going to work in a 4 boat timetable in Peak times though. 

Is there going to be a 4 boat timetable anymore? I thought the plan was two ship service (VoW and Clare) with the Faith doing third boat duties?

One hour from Portsmouth to the Isle of Wight seems ridiculous - it takes that from Southampton!

I wonder if there is a factor to do with Wight Sun being able to use the Swashway?

1 hour ago, adicat said:

Yes limited speed. Not going to work in a 4 boat timetable in Peak times though. 

There is no 4 boat timetable this year apart from possibly the festival weekend 

3 hours ago, The Ferry Man said:

Is there going to be a 4 boat timetable anymore? I thought the plan was two ship service (VoW and Clare) with the Faith doing third boat duties?

Saturday's in Summer will have to be as capacity is still not up to anywhere near 578 of 1989. Since St Helen went it has been lowest at 150 100 100 65 = 415 per 2 hours. Now its roughly 180 150 80 65 = 475 per well suppose to be 2 hours but Wight Sun running slow will be an issue. 

There are only ever 3 ships timetabled for the whole of 2019 - I guess anything the Wight Sun does will be ad hoc, as it were - perhaps Fridays, Saturdays and special occasions like the festival.  The rest of the time she might be used as breakdown cover or "rest days" for both routes perhaps - in which case the way things are going she will be the hardest working vessel this coming year!!!

There is no 4 boat timetable this year apart from festival weekend if u look at the timetable you will work it out ....vow can hold double what a st class could as can Clare as a st class could only hold about 90 modern cars ..hope this helps 

3 hours ago, adicat said:

Bank holidays and half term seem to have 4 boat service.

Sadly I have studied their timetable and the only 4 boat is festival weekend in June can’t find one anywhen else 

3 hours ago, adicat said:

Thought they would be better off with a 40 minutes interval service.

Vow can hold 3 times what the sun can so won’t irritate so many customers doing what they did just the ones on the sun lol ..also to mess all the bookings up instead of 20% of them makes sense ..

That's the trouble publishing such a timetable over a long period. The sub text ends up almost being another document to explain the document. Bit like insurances.