News threads can only be replied to, not created.

Portsmouth - New Passenger Gangway

21 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

For an average of, what?, 2 ferry movements per day for at best 10 months of the year? It's hardly worth it, is it? Ed. 

I would say that regardless of any passenger numbers, a new gangway is required. Poole has one  - with less foot fall. The Plymouth steps are very difficult for passengers to manage from my experience!

1 minute ago, hf_uk said:

I would say that regardless of any passenger numbers, a new gangway is required. Poole has one  - with less foot fall. The Plymouth steps are very difficult for passengers to manage from my experience!

Who owns the port? Ed. 

5 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Who owns the port? Ed. 

I believe Associated British Ports, so they would clearly have to be involved. However - don't forget, there are often newspaper articles about their Cruise Ship ambitions for the port... so that would be a secondary argument for it.

Well in that case there is not much point complaining about Portsmouth getting one before Plymouth as they are not owned by the same company. Portsmouth can finance whatever projects they wish and have no responsibility for what happens at Plymouth. Equally BF can suggest it to ABP but unless they want to help with the costs then it's the port owner's ultimate decision. Ed. 

• Like 1

The Plymouth gangway looks and feels very dated and well-used. Poole has a new one. Pompey is getting one (as Gareth said, agreed, a completely independant decission), but surely it's time for a fresh one in Plymouth too? The current one was launched (I beleive) with the introduction of Bretagne (also 30+ years now)

Anyway I will stop going on about the new gangway. On a much more positive note - sailings from Plymouth commence again in a week! So one can stock up on wine etc before Brexit :)

Edited by hf_uk
  • 1 year later...