Andy

Portsmouth - New Passenger Gangway

I saw this article. My thoughts re cruise liners are how soon before Portsmouth becomes overcrowded? Unlike say Dover or Southampton, Portsmouth doesn't have a dedicated cruise berth, and there are times when berths 2,3 and 4 are all in use.

If there is a cruise ship in, one of the ferries will be moved to the anchorage to make room for another vessel. This is normally the case on the busier days in the summer, Fridays and Sundays.

11 minutes ago, hf_uk said:

Sorry - but Plymouth's need for a new Gangway is wayyyy above Portsmouths!! 

Shame Plymouth is not run by Portsmouth Port.

15 minutes ago, hf_uk said:

Sorry - but Plymouth's need for a new Gangway is wayyyy above Portsmouths!! 

For an average of, what?, 2 ferry movements per day for at best 10 months of the year? It's hardly worth it, is it? Ed. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

For an average of, what?, 2 ferry movements per day for at best 10 months of the year? It's hardly worth it, is it? Ed. 

I would say that regardless of any passenger numbers, a new gangway is required. Poole has one  - with less foot fall. The Plymouth steps are very difficult for passengers to manage from my experience!

1 minute ago, hf_uk said:

I would say that regardless of any passenger numbers, a new gangway is required. Poole has one  - with less foot fall. The Plymouth steps are very difficult for passengers to manage from my experience!

Who owns the port? Ed. 

5 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Who owns the port? Ed. 

I believe Associated British Ports, so they would clearly have to be involved. However - don't forget, there are often newspaper articles about their Cruise Ship ambitions for the port... so that would be a secondary argument for it.

Well in that case there is not much point complaining about Portsmouth getting one before Plymouth as they are not owned by the same company. Portsmouth can finance whatever projects they wish and have no responsibility for what happens at Plymouth. Equally BF can suggest it to ABP but unless they want to help with the costs then it's the port owner's ultimate decision. Ed. 

• Like 1

Yes, they’re independent decisions.  Different managements and different sources of funding.  So it wasn’t a case of “either/or and Portsmouth pipped Plymouth to it”.

All I was saying was that if you walk up the gangway in Pompey - (the one they are going to bin)... It is already vastly superior to Plymouths!

I wonder if anyone has thought of recycling it!?

The Plymouth gangway looks and feels very dated and well-used. Poole has a new one. Pompey is getting one (as Gareth said, agreed, a completely independant decission), but surely it's time for a fresh one in Plymouth too? The current one was launched (I beleive) with the introduction of Bretagne (also 30+ years now)

Anyway I will stop going on about the new gangway. On a much more positive note - sailings from Plymouth commence again in a week! So one can stock up on wine etc before Brexit :)

Edited by hf_uk

16 hours ago, hf_uk said:

Plymouth commence again in a week! So one can stock up on wine etc before Brexit :)

And avoid Brexit chaos by staying in France😄

Not for a couple of years I'd guess. They seem to be working on a plan to attract a certain volume of cruise passenger traffic by 2022 and to do so will need the new infrastructure to be in place by then. Ed.