Paul

Armorique 10th Anniversary

We are entering the period of the 10th anniversary of the Armorique entering service.  Today marks 10 years since her first visit to Plymouth.

It was quite low key, though, arriving early on a damp morning, I was there by 8.00am and she was already berthed up.

However, since then, I think it's agreed she's been a very versatile member of the fleet, having visited almost every BF port during winter cover, with no mechanical issues that I can think of.  Although she perhaps has a slightly easier life than some of the other ships, with a few hours berthed in Roscoff most days, she generally still looks fresh internally,

Brittany Ferries Armorique - First time in Plymouth (1).JPG

• Like 8

21 minutes ago, TonyMWeaver said:

I thought she entered service on Feb 10th? Well, her maiden voyage.

It was, hence why I put 'period of the 10th anniversary'.  31st January was the first time she arrived in Plymouth for, I assume, berthing trials.  

7 minutes ago, Paul said:

It was, hence why I put 'period of the 10th anniversary'.  31st January was the first time she arrived in Plymouth for, I assume, berthing trials.  

My bad.

• Like 1

I like Armorique. Always clean and tidy which is nice. 

No real mechanical issues. Few fly-by-wire control issues recently, and her landmark bump with the Linkspan at Roscoff. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MichaelBF said:

I don't. No restaurant!😟

Also it looks just like the designers previous experience; designing prisons and hospitals.

• Haha 4

6 hours ago, MichaelBF said:

No real mechanical issues. Few fly-by-wire control issues recently, and her landmark bump with the Linkspan at Roscoff. 

I like her , had a few good sailings on her now and it’s by far the cheapest way to sail into Brittany, personally I would rather save £100 odd pound on a sailing than eat in a restaurant.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

I like her , had a few good sailings on her now and it’s by far the cheapest way to sail into Brittany, personally I would rather save £100 odd pound on a sailing than eat in a restaurant.

Sadly BF don't reduce the Caen prices by £100 when we get the Armorique and I do like to have a relaxing meal in a restaurant.

• Like 3

I have never understood the criticism of Armorique's feeding arrangements.

The ship was originally designed for a route where a waiter restaurant is really unnecessary and unviable on her normal schedules. It was part of the design brief.

OK, she sometimes covers for other routes in which case passengers desperate for the waiter service experience can indulge themselves onshore at either end of the route. Failing that the ship can still feed you quite adequately. Starvation is unlikely!

Why would BF want to provide a facility that would normally only be needed when the shup is standing in for another of the fleet? It doesn't make commercial sense.

It's a ferry - not a cruise ship!

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, David Williams said:

Sadly BF don't reduce the Caen prices by £100 when we get the Armorique and I do like to have a relaxing meal in a restaurant.

And they don’t increase the prices when Pont Aven does her Roscoff sailings.

• Like 1

Just now, wortley said:

In and out of Plymouth I sleep on Armorique and spend nothing, but I eat on Pont Aven and spend freely. 

It depends whether there’s enough people like you to make a restaurant profitable or not I’m sure BF have done the sums, the self service certainly seems to be popular.

Timing matters too. Usually if we go to France it is the 20:15 sailing to St Malo (or wherever it ends up these days!). By the time we have got on board and settled into the cabin the last thing we want is a heavy meal with an early wake up in prospect so the self service with a couple of glasses of wine suits us fine. I suspect there are a lot of people like us. On an even later sailing from Plymouth to Roscoff I doubt if we would eat aboard at all but have a meal in Plymouth beforehand. It is that pattern that dictated the design of Armorique.

Edited by cvabishop
  • Like 1

Timing? Armorique's  timing coming back from Roscoff is usually 1500 or 1600. If there were a restaurant on board I would spend freely on dinner. As it is I don't. 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, cvabishop said:

where a waiter restaurant is really unnecessary

The best bit of the restaurant is not the waiter service - it is the help yourself to what you want on the buffet for the starter and a nice bit of linen on the table. My wife adores the sea food on the starter.

The food for the main course is normally served at a decent temperature and is not luke warm. 

Yes, but you can't justify the cost of a waiter restaurant if it is effectively only picking up customers on one leg of the crossing. It's not as if BF is offering airline food in the self service. There are normally some perfectly acceptable options so you are not excatly slumming it!

OK a waiter service restaurant would be nice but is it financially viable?

Edited by cvabishop

I usually have a selection from the buffet on Armorique and cake of course , I suspect she’s the cheapest in the fleet to run for a variety of reasons including lack of a restaurant and BF quite like it that way , I may be wrong but I suspect she’s never jam packed when she covers other routes.

3 minutes ago, nottingham said:

Can we have a day of mourning 20th February for Val de Loire rather than a celebration of Armorique  - there are good reasons she doesn't get 'packed' !!

She was certainly packed the last time we were on her she only isn’t packed on other routes due to it being the quiet season.

C8B97232-1DD7-43FE-AF8B-FF497BCC530B.jpeg

Edited by neilcvx

5 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

She was certainly packed the last time we were on her she only isn’t packed on other routes due to it being the quiet season.

C8B97232-1DD7-43FE-AF8B-FF497BCC530B.jpeg

I don't  agree Neil, she is not really popular due to lack of ambience, abundance of 'plastic', not to mention the open deck parking and the much discussed restaurant issues.

She’s a popular ship maybe not on here but that’s due to the rose tinted view of the past , I think I’ve made my view of Bretagne on here often enough and that’s one of the reasons we’re sailing on Armorique and cost , I’m sure I will survive with a decent meal at the self service restaurant and if the wife’s up for driving on the other side a good glass of wine.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

38 minutes ago, nottingham said:

I don't  agree Neil, she is not really popular due to lack of ambiance, abundance of 'plastic', not to mention the open deck parking and the much discussed restaurant issues.

I see my Car. Armorique full is a little frustrating but there is ample room. 

she is not really popular due to lack of ambiance, abundance of 'plastic', not to mention the open deck parking and the much discussed restaurant issues.

But a lot of people actually seem to like her, particularly due to her good cabins. That sounds like a subjective opinion to me. If I were doing a night crossing then I'd be very happy with the better cabins and adequate catering as I wouldn't be spending much time soaking up the ambience, plastic or otherwise.

I can understand why people might feel that she as not as good at the regular ships further East but she is only a stand in in those routes during refit periods. Maybe a bit lacking on daytime crossings but perhaps better in terms of cabin accommodation on the night legs.

• Like 2

Brittany Ferries can’t survive on the custom of BFE alone - I’m sure the overwhelming public opinion is that Armorique is clean, modern and an open plan layout, clean tidy and quiet cabins. Basically everything Bretagne isn’t.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1