Jump to content
Paul

Armorique 10th Anniversary

Recommended Posts

I used to make that mistake with the original vessel of the name.  (Missing out the second letter).

Your observations about longevity made me realise an interesting fact.  Of all the passenger ferries that BF ever had purpose-built, only two are not still in the fleet! 😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Gareth said:

I used to make that mistake with the original vessel of the name.  (Missing out the second letter).

Your observations about longevity made me realise an interesting fact.  Of all the passenger ferries that BF ever had purpose-built, only two are not still in the fleet! 😀

Ok, that's had me scratching my head. Gareth am I right in assuming you mean post '89? If so the only one I can think of is Cotentin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jonno said:

Ok, that's had me scratching my head. Gareth am I right in assuming you mean post '89? If so the only one I can think of is Cotentin.

Wasn’t counting Cotentin, as not a passenger ferry.  (Not built as one for BF anyway).  I was thinking of Penn Ar Bed and Cornouailles.  Maybe “purpose-bullt” was stretching it a bit (as I don’t think BF had much to do with their designs), but they did enter service with BF from new.

Apart from those two, no other passenger ferry has entered service from new that is not still in the fleet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Armorique / Prince of Brittany (Reine Mathilde) / Goelo / Quiberon / Duc De Normandie / Benodet (Corbiere) / Tregastel / Duchesse Anne / Val De Loire / Pont L’Abbe were all second-hand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Gareth said:

Wasn’t counting Cotentin, as not a passenger ferry.  (Not built as one for BF anyway).  I was thinking of Penn Ar Bed and Cornouailles.  Maybe “purpose-bullt” was stretching it a bit (as I don’t think BF had much to do with their designs), but they did enter service with BF from new.

Apart from those two, no other passenger ferry has entered service from new that is not still in the fleet.

Ah, I thought you meant purpose built and could still be part of the fleet. In the full context we'd need to omit Kerisnel too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kerisnel was not built for BF - admittedly BF acquired her in the year of her launch, but she was built for the Israeli Navy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Gareth said:

Kerisnel was not built for BF - admittedly BF acquired her in the year of her launch, but she was built for the Israeli Navy.

Are you cheating with the fleet book?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But still - if you think that 75% (6 out of 8) of the ferries that BF acquired from new (and arguably 100% of the ferries that BF had purpose-built) are still in the fleet, then that says a lot for a company that is only a few years away from 50 years old.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Gareth said:

Kerisnel was not built for BF - admittedly BF acquired her in the year of her launch, but she was built for the Israeli Navy.

Technically ordered by Zim Line to be the Lilac but Zim, for reasons I've never entirely understood, cancelled the two ship order (the other ship was the Jasmine, later the Guaycura) and got five ships from Romania instead, one of which today is the cruise ship Aegean Odyssey. Perfect timing for BAI though even if the ship wasn't ideal.

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Gareth said:

But still - if you think that 75% (6 out of 😎 of the ferries that BF acquired from new (and arguably 100% of the ferries that BF had purpose-built) are still in the fleet, then that says a lot for a company that is only a few years away from 50 years old.

Yep, can't argue with that, they've always bought & chartered well too. Armorique proves that versatility leads to longevity, for me she was built with the same ethos as the '70's vessels which pioneered the original route being easily moved around as maintenance & expansion dictated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...