Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
TonyMWeaver

Bretagne - 30 Years

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Ryan_H said:

Perhaps stating the obvious here but is this why Cap Finistere (according to some) copes better with the Spanish routes than Pont-Aven? Despite being a second-hand purchase rather than a purpose-built flagship?

It's a source of some regret to me that I've never managed to sail to Spain on Bretagne, I doubt I will get the chance now but should a crossing appear in the timetable I'd jump at it. 

Yes I would too. Despite her faults Bretagne still remains my favourite bf ship.

Happy birthday old girl

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, chris990 said:

Yes I would too. Despite her faults Bretagne still remains my favourite bf ship.

Happy birthday old girl

Me too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Ryan_H said:

Perhaps stating the obvious here but is this why Cap Finistere (according to some) copes better with the Spanish routes than Pont-Aven? Despite being a second-hand purchase rather than a purpose-built flagship?

Yes it is, The Superfasts were built for speed, narrow and pointy. If you can, take a look back at the old classic Atlantic liners, way back to the Mauretania. Built narrow with an "Atlantic Bow" as it was about riding waves and capturing the Blue Riband. Her old Parson turbines could push her up to 30kts if needed. Neither the Lucy or Mary were large by today's standards even in terms of some ferry's, for instance the third tranche of E-Flexers which Stena will have are the same length, but they were also narrow, a beam of around 26m. The 2nd Mauretania built in the late '30's was only around 26-27 metres too.

The Lusitania was the first and was actually widened from around 22 metres in order to give her greater stability at higher speeds... White Star's Olympic class couldn't match them for speed as they were longer and wider, around 29 meters, hence why they went for "the last word in luxury"

I've got a fair bit of stuff from the era as I had a great, great uncle who worked on Lusitania, his story is quite well documented, and his brother was on the Titanic.

Anyway...Pont has the power but not the design for 28kts.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Booked for a day trip to Brittany courtesy of the group this weekend, the weather has messed up the schedule for Armorique so we were forced kicking and screaming to swap to the Bretagne for the outbound leg.

It was a tough decision but I think we might cope.

Looking forward to it, and as a bonus the seas will be rough. The Bretagne still has be best sea manners of the fleet - well I think so.

Rhys

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To be honest, I think the Pont is a bit of a design dog's breakfast both inside and out. A ship designed by committee.

Quote

Looking forward to it, and as a bonus the seas will be rough.

Penlan, you might be happy with that but spare a thought for the 99% of passengers whom would fervently wish otherwise.

Edited by cvabishop
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The length/breadth ratio isn’t the only thing starting to go back to a century ago. The new Celebrity Edge cruise ship has a more traditional bow, albeit swept back - they call it a Parabolic Ultra Bow.

Apparently the ride is very good and from the videos I’ve see of her at sea, she does seem to cut through the waves in a quite different way. From what I’ve also read, she significantly cuts fuel consumption with that bow plus the micro bubble jets in her hull.

The new NCL Leonardo-class and new Virgin Voyages ships have similar bows; the latter two are being built by Fincantieri, STX France was the build yard for Edge and through Fincantieri’s new ownership share it’s likely they have access to the technical details from Edge.

9A190DC2-3866-430C-B8A6-F3BF779BA3B5.jpeg

  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Seashore said:

The length/breadth ratio isn’t the only thing starting to go back to a century ago. The new Celebrity Edge cruise ship has a more traditional bow, albeit swept back - they call it a Parabolic Ultra Bow.

Apparently the ride is very good and from the videos I’ve see of her at sea, she does seem to cut through the waves in a quite different way. From what I’ve also read, she significantly cuts fuel consumption with that bow plus the micro bubble jets in her hull.

The new NCL Leonardo-class and new Virgin Voyages ships have similar bows; the latter two are being built by Fincantieri, STX France was the build yard for Edge and through Fincantieri’s new ownership share it’s likely they have access to the technical details from Edge.

9A190DC2-3866-430C-B8A6-F3BF779BA3B5.jpeg

Are we heading back to the Dreadnought days?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Penlan said:

Booked for a day trip to Brittany courtesy of the group this weekend, the weather has messed up the schedule for Armorique so we were forced kicking and screaming to swap to the Bretagne for the outbound leg.

It was a tough decision but I think we might cope.

Looking forward to it, and as a bonus the seas will be rough. The Bretagne still has be best sea manners of the fleet - well I think so.

 

Quote

If you are going this weekend and expecting the Bretagne, you might be disappointed..She`s still in lay up at Le Havre until later next month, having her carpets cleaned and fluff removed..You might get chance to brave heavy seas on the Pont Aven though..Good Luck😓

 

 

Edited by Paully

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cvabishop said:

To be honest, I think the Pont is a bit of a design dog's breakfast both inside and out. A ship designed by committee.

Penlan, you might be happy with that but spare a thought for the 99% of passengers whom would fervently wish otherwise.

I should really read the tickets before posting, we are actually on the PA another BF ship we sailed on when she was in her first month of service. She's a decent enough ship but she's not the Bretagne -  and the A'telier in Langoelan is fully booked for lunch Saturday too.

The management does not do choppy seas so it could be a bit of a barfathon.

So all in all I feel a bit cheated...

Rhys

 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jonno said:

Are we heading back to the Dreadnought days?

I can't imagine why Celebrity would want to ram through the side of another ship, but it's nice to know they've got the option!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, penguin said:

I can't imagine why Celebrity would want to ram through the side of another ship, but it's nice to know they've got the option!

Makes her more suitable for operation in the Mediterranean?! 🤣

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Penlan said:

it could be a bit of a barfathon.

That’s the collective noun for:

1) a rough Poole to Cherbourg rotation

2) a group of enthusiasts on said route

3) turning threads from one funnel to two funnelled ships

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Gareth said:

Makes her more suitable for operation in the Mediterranean?! 🤣

Hopefully! No ferries in the diary this year but am on Edge in June, quite excited!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 07/02/2019 at 18:35, cvabishop said:

To be honest, I think the Pont is a bit of a design dog's breakfast both inside and out. A ship designed by committee.

I dunno Colin, I hadn't been on her for a while as I tend to steer clear but travelling on her last week I felt that internally she flows very nicely. Deck 7 is well laid out from the central atrium, left if you fancy the less formal self service options and right if you're in the mood for an aperitif and Le flora.

I'd prefer a separate starboard corridor linking the atrium on deck 8 to the forward cabins rather than needing to walk through the large bar area but that's possibly just me being pedantic. The rear commodore lounge is great for watching the sea go by and has a nice pseudo 1930's feel to it.

The disabled cabins on deck 6 are thoughtfully laid out close to three lifts, a defib' kit and the first aid at reception.

Shame really as the rest of her would move like a buckaroo in the shallowest of windswept puddles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A lot of wasted space in the Atrium though with those 'must have' glass lifts and no significant comfy lounge seating if you want to get away from the noise of the bar and maybe various entertainments. Just nooks and crannies here and there.

The pool area is also wasted as it gets very little use for most of the year.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The pool is shut when there’s fewest customers onboard so less need for extra seeting and open when it’s busiest so I suppose BF don’t see the need to do anything, a extra wee quiet lounge would be good though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, cvabishop said:

So. Anybody on here ever actually used the pool then? And if so how often?

Twice once to swim once to hook a duck.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There have been articles in Le Marin and Mer et Maritime saying that the Chantiers de l'Atlantique have sadly confirmed to BF that they cannot fit the construction of the new Bretagne into their schedule, even with subcontracting huge proportions of the job. The articles are subscriber access only, but seem to go on to give more info on the project and the desired delivery date. Anyone got access?

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, cvabishop said:

A lot of wasted space in the Atrium though with those 'must have' glass lifts and no significant comfy lounge seating if you want to get away from the noise of the bar and maybe various entertainments. Just nooks and crannies here and there.

The pool area is also wasted as it gets very little use for most of the year.

Thing is though all new ferries are all about public space, it's part of the SOLAS regs and the reason why we now have larger ships with greater gross tonnage although capacities remain similar. Compare Bretagne to Bergensfjord which has 10,000 more gross tonnes. She has equal car capacity but is 20m longer and carries 500 less pax.

If we want quiet we head back to the cabin on all of them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gareth said:

I think I might have missed a chapter here.

No you've not missed anything. The rumours surrounding Bretagne have been around a while now, I was expecting something to be said in February, others sooner. BF mentioned back when the E flexers were announced that they were speaking to Chantiers about her replacement.

My money is still on the Chinese possibly XSI who are building a sister for Viking Grace or GSI, they who have built the new Visby and have two on the go for DFDS. They've just announced another two with outside bay windows and balconies for Cosco ready for 2021. 43000gt, 415 cabins 1350 pax.  Image from Shippax.

1447946274_Cosconewbuild.jpg.ace23c9d7ac9dd1cfaf16101b3f3baa9.jpg

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...