Sign in to follow this  
TonyMWeaver

Bretagne - 30 Years

7 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

If it too is to be LNG-powered then surely all this fuel infrastructure investment should have been done in the UK. They will have refuelling done in Ouistreham, one of the Spanish ports and St Malo. Why not do it in Portsmouth which is the one port all the of the vessels call at every week? Ed. 

There's no obstacle to stop them, all the infrastructure is there and has been in place longer than most plus the U.K. has one of the best LNG transport setups.

Again possibly politics, they're a French company so Total S.A makes sense, the same can be said for the E-Flexers which are Spanish named and by all accounts Spanish themed so again Repsol S.A makes sense.

If they called an LNG new build MV Gunwharf it'd probably be U.K. gas fuelled.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Gareth said:

I’m sure that the LNG infrastructure will evolve quite substantially over the next few years.

Only if other vessels adopt the technology I suppose. It would perhaps need Condor to choose the fuel for any replacements for Clipper and Goodwill to get the ball rolling in Portsmouth. Ed

1 hour ago, Gareth said:

I’m sure that the LNG infrastructure will evolve quite substantially over the next few years.

You're right. Fjordline had compliance and bunkering transportation issues when they launched both of their ships but soon got their heads together to sort it. I think the outcome of that showed the pax shipping world that it was realistic. We've also seen a greater focus in the construction of specific LNG bunker ships.

The system being built on board Honfleur is a bit of a ground breaker and illustrates the simplicity of LNG refuelling. It's very stable, light, non polluting and leaks evaporate instantly.