Sign in to follow this  
Yann Ferries

28-29/01/2019 : Saint-Malo - Portsmouth - Saint-Malo

Here are the photos of my recent trip to Pont-Aven. Despite a lack of animation on board (due, I think a very small number of passengers), my mini-cruise on the ferry Pont-Aven was really nice. Excellent food on board. Staff efficient and friendly. Comfortable cabin. Being a member of Cercle Voyageur France, I realized great savings on this sea excursion. Thanks Brittany Ferries¬†ūüėÉ

https://www.flickr.com/photos/36979174@N04/sets/72157703006822842

Edited by Yann Ferries
  • Like 3

A couple of weeks ago I showed photos of m cabin to the desk and they promptly moved me …. Dried urine on the toilet seat, thick layer of dust on edges and corners of carpet, great clouds of dust under the window …. and a folder of someone's documents on the fold up bed! Cleaning in St Malo was cursory at best.

• Sad 2

That’s not good @colin BF really need to take ownership of the cleaning it’s their responsibility and their reputation, they are issues that just should never happen under any circumstances.

The extremely efficient young woman at the desk was dealing with a number of such issues. Luckily the ship was not busy.

• Like 2

Well firstly I hope those in BF Towers really are looking in. These instances, across different vessels and ports are all too sadly consistant. They are also borne out in social media such as Trip Advisor. It appears to have a somewhat cavalier approach to matter such as this. You could be forgiven for thinking that the shoreside senior management take the view that `The turnround is only so long, so the cleaners do what they can within it and that`s that`

This is the low season, they do have chance to put it right....I hope they do but I won`t hold my breathe..

You think to yourself, if they aren’t cleaning the cabins properly then what else isn’t being cleaned properly?

• Like 1

As this was a Saturday, with the ship docking at around 08:15, there was more time than normal until she vacated the berth a bit before midday for the Commodore Goodwill, and returned at 18:00. Under normal circumstances 08:15 - 10:30 is only 2 hours 15 mins.

1 hour ago, colin said:

A couple of weeks ago I showed photos of m cabin to the desk and they promptly moved me …. Dried urine on the toilet seat, thick layer of dust on edges and corners of carpet, great clouds of dust under the window …. and a folder of someone's documents on the fold up bed! Cleaning in St Malo was cursory at best.

That's totally unacceptable. Can you be sure that it was the St Malo team responsible for the problem? That cabin could have been 'cleaned' in Portsmouth and then not used on the southbound crossing. My commodore cabin from St Malo to Portsmouth was impeccable (except for the detached shower curtain) but the return was, as we know, a shambles. Ed. 

Agreed.  Seems to me that which port is responsible is becoming a moot point.  The whole issue has become far too common within BF for it to be port-specific.  The issue lies at the heart of the management’s strategic policy of outsourcing the cleaning.

• Like 1

Well yes and no. If the problem is at the Portsmouth end then it can be swiftly dealt with as it's just one team and one contractor (don't forget the cabin on my Bretagne sailing back to France in November was pretty dirty while my cabin on Normandie out from Caen was fine) but if it's more generalised then it's an internal management problem. Ed. 

Well, we know it affects Plymouth ferries too.  Indeed, the problem surfaced at Plymouth before it started affecting the Portsmouth ferries.

• Like 2

I saw something of the cleaning operation at Portsmouth when I took a day trip to St Malo a month ago. It looked pretty rushed and chaotic, not helped by the presence of passengers wandering round to see if their cabin was ready. I did wonder how they would cope with anything like a fully-loaded ship. Having said that, and mindful of the ongoing discussions on this site, I could not find fault with my cabin.

Like Yann, I had a splendid trip. First time on Pont Aven, and I was really impressed, and remarkable value for money. Quite lightly loaded, though not as eerily empty as it apparently was for Yann.

The only downside was that the link span was jammed on arrival at St Malo; this affected foot passengers like me as well as the tide was apparently too high for the passenger gangway to be used. After 90 minutes it was decided that the gangway could be used after all so we escaped. The delay did not matter too much for me, but those with train connections were not happy. I don’t know how much longer the vehicles had to wait - attempts were being made to lift the linkspan manually, but these were not successful. Perhaps they had to wait for the tide to align the ship and ramp naturally. Anyway, when I returned in the evening the problem had obviously been solved.

Referring to comments above, yes, I think the cabin was unused coming south, and perhaps some crossings before that, although 2 berth outsides tend to get gobbled up. There were mini-cruise passengers returning northbound, whose cabin allocations were not the same in both directions, who found their new cabin totally un-made up. Sloppy organisation?

I hope this isn’t a regular sign of a downward slide of BF standards... the regular comments on here & trip advisor seem to indicate problems with the shore-side contractors -BF please pay attention & deal with the shoddy service they provide you!

(Each time I see the cleaners board in Plymouth¬†I wonder how half of the cleaners actually¬†get out of bed, let alone,¬†dress themselves & actually get up the steep gangway steps... ¬† The UK¬†cleaners look like the cast of ‚ÄúFraggle Rock‚ÄĚ in direct comparison to the Spanish cleaners who look MUCH more professional... the ¬†cleanliness of the ship to the UK IMO¬†is much better!

Abacon (Who i think are at least Plymouth & Poole’s contractors) should sort it out before they rightly so loose their contracts!

Edited by daves_pad!

1 hour ago, daves_pad! said:

I hope this isn’t a regular sign of a downward slide of BF standards... the regular comments on here & trip advisor seem to indicate problems with the shore-side contractors -BF please pay attention & deal with the shoddy service they provide you!

(Each time I see the cleaners board in Plymouth¬†I wonder how half of the cleaners actually¬†get out of bed, let alone,¬†dress themselves & actually get up the steep gangway steps... ¬† The UK¬†cleaners look like the cast of ‚ÄúFraggle Rock‚ÄĚ in direct comparison to the Spanish cleaners who look MUCH more professional... the ¬†cleanliness of the ship to the UK IMO¬†is much better!

Abacon (Who i think are at least Plymouth & Poole’s contractors) should sort it out before they rightly so loose their contracts!

I was thinking similar Dave but didn't like to say it.  I presume it's part time minimum wage work, unsocial hours which can change at the last minute if bad weather.  Unless they are employed on other cleaning jobs it's not a very appealing job.  Presumably at Portsmouth there is more regular work, so they should be more in tune with what's needed.

As the late Billy Cotton used to say 'when Mr & Mrs Smith from Wigan come to see my band show they expect a band show and not a hard luck story'. If BF have to pay more to get the job done properly and/or an outsourcer simply can't do the job the action they have to take is quite clear. If the contractor can get away with poor service and still get paid - then that's what they'll do. 

Sadly once BF got a monopoly this kind of thing was probably inevitable. But I don't think the old firm would have spent oodles on a pointless rebrand if the nitty gritty wasn't right!

• Like 2

As with the OP Yann Ferries, we were passengers on the 28/1 daytime sailing from St Malo to Portsmouth (I’ll do a trip report for that crossing and the return when I get round to it!)

Just one thing to add: when we were just off the IOW, we were being ‚Äėbuzzed‚Äô by a helicopter which turned¬†out to be a Coastguard SAR ¬†aircraft. I went to the stern on Deck 7 to watch what was actually a¬†training exercise. ¬†I had at first thought that it might be a genuine ‚Äėmedevac‚Äô, but the helicopter did a couple of ‚Äėtouch & go‚Äô landings (or close to landings) on the helipad on deck 9 and then flew off.

Being so close was interesting to say the least.  Is this a frequent occurence?

It’s frequent for the helicopter crews.  I remember when we had our yacht at Weymouth, we had several occasions when either the Portland or Solent Coastguard helicopter appeared and asked if they could do a practice hi-line transfer.  It was good experience.  It was especially common for us in the winter months, when there were fewer boats out for them to choose from.  I think they are out doing these practice drills regularly, but obviously their choice of target will vary.  Seems reasonable for them to want to practice with a ferry from time to time.

But it must really set all the dogs in the kennels off. Last time I was on PA I was walking past the funnel/scrubber structure and could hear a lot of barking from inside. The helideck is just to the rear of that area. Ed. 

• Like 1

Yes, that thought occurred to me too. ¬†However, as the OP said, it was a very ‚Äėquiet‚Äô crossing - I reckon no more than 100 cars & maybe 20 lorries. ¬†La Flora only did about 20 covers that day.

It might just be that there were no dogs in the kennels.

969FE216-5937-417F-A8AC-B3469CB5ECED.jpeg

69EB48E9-7B48-42DF-BFB9-AF68E84A54EF.jpeg