Sign in to follow this  
TonyMWeaver

Brittany Ferries beats British Airways, Virgin and P&O to the top spot for customer service

Ferry firm 'Brittany Ferries' has been named as the best transport company for customer service.  The Institute of Customer Service publishes a comprehensive customer satisfaction index every six months and its latest research put Brittany Ferries top in a category of 34 transport companies, ahead of British Airways, Virgin Trains, P&O Ferries and Eurotunnel. Joëlle Croc, group director of sales and customer experience, said: ‘I would like to congratulate all teams on board and on shore for this excellent news. It reflects the service delivered by crews on board and the quality of the customer experience they deliver every day to travellers.’  Brittany Ferries operates services from Portsmouth to Caen, St Malo, Le Havre and Cherbourg. 

https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/our-region/portsmouth/ferry-firm-brittany-ferries-beats-british-airways-virgin-and-p-o-to-the-top-spot-for-customer-service-1-8799777

Edited by TonyMWeaver
  • Like 1

Just now, cvabishop said:

These days even Ryanair probably beats BA for comprehensive customer satisfaction...

In fairness to BA, they were excellent when we got stuck due to snow. I certainly can't imagine getting a similar service from Ryanair.

• Like 1

Pleased to hear that as we are due to fly short/medium haul with them three times this year. It's just that their planes are so cramped now and getting even worse with their 'densification' policy of cramming in additional seats, often at the expense of lavatory facilities as well as reducing legroom. And if you turn up with hand luggage that conforms to the published dimensions they stick a little label on it which 'guarantees' that you can keep it in the cabin but which actually means that they expect you to put it under the seat in front taking up your already meagre legroom whilst passengers wiith double decker wheeled cases use the overhead bins - Grrr!

That certainly does detract from the customer experience. 👿

• Like 1

I fly to Malaga regularly using British Airways from London City Airport and twice yearly Brittany Ferries to Santander/Bilbao.  I cannot fault British Airways flying from LCY and Malaga.  I also endorse the high standard of BF's customer service.  Thats a win win! 🛳 ✈️

• Like 1

It is good news for BF and long may they have excellent customer satisfaction, however they are a minnow compared to the others. @merc, London City is not representative of BA, the planes have decent legroom, seats are two abreast and drinks are still free.

• Like 2

Well done BF :) - From personal experience, BF's customer service beats BA (who, 2 months after a written complaint are still debating how to respond to 7 simple and numbered questions). BF have responded to e-mails or Twitter within minutes and quite happily moved cabins etc with minimal fuss.

1 hour ago, cvabishop said:

Pleased to hear that as we are due to fly short/medium haul with them three times this year. It's just that their planes are so cramped now and getting even worse with their 'densification' policy of cramming in additional seats, often at the expense of lavatory facilities as well as reducing legroom. And if you turn up with hand luggage that conforms to the published dimensions they stick a little label on it which 'guarantees' that you can keep it in the cabin but which actually means that they expect you to put it under the seat in front taking up your already meagre legroom whilst passengers wiith double decker wheeled cases use the overhead bins - Grrr!

That certainly does detract from the customer experience. 👿

Yep, wait until you see the loos on the A320neo...

In general, though, I find BA's "service" to basically be non-existent these days - long or short haul. On rare occasions, you get a great crew onboard who are actually human, but that's about it. I see today their latest 'experiment' is to reduce the level of cleaning on planes: https://onemileatatime.com/british-airways-reduced-aircraft-cleaning-trial/

I can't comment on P&O but they've always been pretty reasonable to deal with.

Yes there is always a ludicrous attempt to justify reducing standards as improving service. The only reason we are flying BA is the fact that they still have the best takeoff and landing slots. We prefer daytime flights. Otherwise they are rubbish. I feel sorry for the crews and I understand morale is low. Unless you want to use a credit card to pay for an overpriced M&S sandwich you can go the whole flight with no interaction with the crew whatsoever.

How are the mighty fallen!

22 hours ago, David Williams said:

It is good news for BF and long may they have excellent customer satisfaction, however they are a minnow compared to the others. @merc, London City is not representative of BA, the planes have decent legroom, seats are two abreast and drinks are still free.

The BA Crew on the Malaga route originate from Scotland (Edinburgh?), they always seem very happy, yes we still get free food and drinks and it's operated by BA City Flyer.  Though I do prefer the Pont or Cap for my journeys, so peaceful and comfortable. 

• Like 1

Hope this is maintained, But doubt it can be post the introduction of the new “clever” IT system viz.

Whilst already onboard and mid crossing the 8:30 ex Portsmouth Ouistreham yesterday,  I got an automated e mail timed at 11:30 quoting my booking ref  and telling me,

“We are sorry to advise you that due to the bad weather your sailing to Ouistreham/Caen this afternoon is running approximately 1 hour and 15 min behind schedule. Latest check-in is now 14:15  We are sorry for the inconvenience.”

Most confusing?.

Our  crossing was actually delayed by one hour apparently due to “congestion portuaire” but to be honest I saw no evidence of that.

The  only thing that was congested was Breakfast in the Deauville restaurant, the crew seemed not to have been informed about the presence of 5 coachloads of people (Adults) all of whom seem to have been recomended to the Deauville by the guides accompanying them, For a while it was chaos, but extra waiting staff soon arrived.  Needless to say certain items were not available, However as we were ahead of the rush, and clued up. It did not spoil our breakfast too much. The crew later regretted siting us as a couple at a table for 6.

In one trip an example of BF customer service at its best and confusing worst.

Obviously the Douanes in Ouistreham have taken lessons from HM Border force, and passport control delays were beyond a joke, but for lorries it was even worse, most being opened before leaving the port. I’m not sure why Ouistreham is not a PAF policed port ( as Roscoff is soon to be) in keeping with both Cherbourg and LeHavre, In many ways the French state changes very slowly. Such customs delays which have become prevalent at Ouistreham do not bode well for the upcoming Summer holiday season.