The Ferry Man

Sponsored Ferries

12 minutes ago, Gareth said:

Well, that’s lit the touchpaper!

?

I would have thought her the one BF ship that deserved a beach resort holiday surrounded by her peers.

Oh dear, have I done it again?😃

• Haha 2

46 minutes ago, David Williams said:

The MSM could be sponsored by the AA as it breaks down a lot or maybe by the Fire Brigade or another maybe by the French Fishermen for it's ability for picking up their nets.

I’d query the premise behind the idea that MSM breaks down a lot, but that would probably be according the thread a degree of seriousness that it does not merit! 😉

7 hours ago, G4rth said:

?

I would have thought her the one BF ship that deserved a beach resort holiday surrounded by her peers.

Oh dear, have I done it again?😃

I'm not Bretagne's biggest fan, but she doesn't deserve to be scrapped yet, surely she has plenty of life left in her for what she is, a 30-year old overnight ferry with cabins running a budget service. What she does deserve is to have the cruise ferry name scraped off her, she gives people a bad impression of what a cruise ship actually is.

• Haha 1

she gives people a bad impression of what a cruise ship actually is.

No BF Ferries give a cruise ship experience - nowhere close! They are ferries of varying standards according to age, design, and personal preference.Fine for an overnight trip which is what they were designed for, nothing more, nothing less and nothing wrong with that. No need to agonize over waiter restaurants as the truth is that if they are not available or you don't favour them then you can still eat better at either end of the route. Ferries = getting from A to B en route to a further destination. Cruise ships are a destination in themselves. There is just no comparison. It's like comparing apples with pears.

• Like 3

(But I admire cva and seashore’s attempts to turn this farcical thread into a serious (if off-topic) discussion!) 😀

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, cvabishop said:

It's like comparing apples with pears.

Which is which? The only reason I ask is that apples generally float while pears have a tendency to sink. 😀 Ed. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, David Williams said:

Gareth, maybe you should change the title of farcical threads to indicate the amount of farce required !

Difficult to know that in advance David - sometimes only becomes apparent when the thread evolves! 😉

Nothing wrong with joke threads.  As long as they are not taken seriously!  And I think, if the flow of the thread is examined, it will be apparent that G4rth’s contribution was not intended to precipiatate a serious discussion about whether Bretagne should be scrapped!.

• Like 1

I did actually start the tread wit it being a bit more serious (I have enjoyed reading the ideas though)

I was thinking more alonng the lines of "Lifeline services" such as Hythe, Gosport, maybe even Solent, as well as possibly a new operator for West Channel.

Thinking about it, was the old Cowes Chain Ferry sponsered by "Hempel"?

1 hour ago, Gareth said:

And I think, if the flow of the thread is examined, it will be apparent that G4rth’s contribution was not intended to precipiatate a serious discussion about whether Bretagne should be scrapped!.

I think the country is split enough without opening that particular can of worms.