Sign in to follow this  
kenw

Portsmouth-Ouistreham 13/02 – Entertainers

Returning home to Caen on the afternoon sailing (MSM) I must say that the Blue Note Bar enterntainment was terrific.

Thanks to the multi-talented Andrew Galler and Shannon McCarthy – plus, of course Pierre le Bear.

I resisted the temptation of beanbag boules, but was disappointed that I as a solo player was beaten in the quiz by couples playing as a team. Proving the old adage that two minds are better than one. But I was impressed by the onscreen quiz, complete with push-button voting thingie, which I hadn't encountered before in this context.

Shannon did a 40-minute solo spot, mostly songs from the shows and other classics, which was an absolute delight. While Andrew kept the show on the road with warmth and humour. A very professional pair.

Among Shannon's repertoire were a couple of Vera Lynn numbers, including of course "We'll meet again…" She told me later that she is working on some more for a special set in the first week of June when we mark that special 75th anniversary.

And this was my first face-to-face encounter with Pierre, who was instantly befriended by kids of all ages – 6 to 60-plus. Here he is with Andrew – but when I asked which one was the minder and  which was the entertainer, the answer was a diplomatic silence! ( haven't really chopped their heads off, a click reveals the full pic!)

Two fine fellows (although mysteriously Pierre's appearances seemed to coincide with Shannon's absences - coincidence, I'm sure).500491622_PierreleBear.thumb.JPG.d7a0b32d3378925396c426055f135f99.JPG)

Thought: Particularly in the winter, when there's a market for mini-cruisers (roundtrip and overnight stayers) from both sides of the Channel, I think BF should do more to promote the entertainment and the entertainers. AIUI they rotate: a week on MSM, then Normandie, then a week off. 

But if I was booking a mini, and my dates were flexible, I'd be more than tempted to make a date to join Andrew and Shannon again. 

• Like 2

That a plus for bf just hope it applies to the rest of the fleet because it is normal for everyone to go to there cabins instead of watching the entertainment on bf ferries

On the overnights, I might expect an hour or so in the bar before bedtime. And sometimes it can be quite busy, but I'm not sure what the new entertainment regime is like in the evening – this was my first trip since the new agency took over. 

But if Andrew and Shannon are typical of the new look and new sound, then I think the BF entertainment offer will become a big attraction.

I seem to remember taking an overnight back to St Malo about 18 months ago and the evening entertainment was more background music than anything else.

This was the first time in years that I've taken the afternoon sailing. The whole ship was very quiet. not many footies, motorists but quite a few trucks, which is probably not so unusual for a midweek in mid-Feb.