The Ferry Man

Stena RORO buy Japanese RoPax Ferry

She's a very pleasant ship but will need a lot of work to make her usable in Europe. And unless they heighten/rebuild the vehicle decks they'll struggle to use her in northern Europe. So maybe they have someone in southern Europe lined up for her, a year from now. Adria Ferries or ANEK are recent Stena RoRo customers who might be interested. Or SNAV at Split have had their ship sold out from underneath them, although they wouldn't need Stena to finance it they might need the technical expertise.

14 minutes ago, hhvferry said:

She's a very pleasant ship but will need a lot of work to make her usable in Europe. And unless they heighten/rebuild the vehicle decks they'll struggle to use her in northern Europe. So maybe they have someone in southern Europe lined up for her, a year from now. Adria Ferries or ANEK are recent Stena RoRo customers who might be interested. Or SNAV at Split have had their ship sold out from underneath them, although they wouldn't need Stena to finance it they might need the technical expertise.

Interesting bow visor set up on her, I don't think I've seen one like it before, a bit of an ugly duckling. I think you've touched on it with either Adria or ANEK... If so my money's on ANEK.

@hhvferry ref Split do you mean Toscana/Azzurra?

Toscana has been up for sale for nearly 3 years for around £30m, Ok, I know it's GNV so they're all up for grabs but if it is her, it's not a big surprise, or is it as Rhapsody is off on charter too. I wonder if they plan on just using the Olau's full time instead? 

Maybe you can shed more light on this... I'd heard talk that they were looking at Amorella from Viking next year when Grace's sister arrives in the April but I was under the impression Moby had first dibs on her?

19 minutes ago, jonno said:

Interesting bow visor set up on her, I don't think I've seen one like it before, a bit of an ugly duckling. I think you've touched on it with either Adria or ANEK... If so my money's on ANEK. 

@hhvferry ref Split do you mean Toscana/Azzurra?

Toscana has been up for sale for nearly 3 years for around £30m, Ok, I know it's GNV so they're all up for grabs but if it is her, it's not a big surprise, or is it as Rhapsody is off on charter too. I wonder if they plan on just using the Olau's full time instead?  

Maybe you can shed more light on this... I'd heard talk that they were looking at Amorella from Viking next year when Grace's sister arrives in the April but I was under the impression Moby had first dibs on her? 

The thin visor is a pretty common look for Japanese ferries going back quite a while - e.g. the current Prevelis has similar, albet welded up

The Ancona-Split route stayed with SNAV when the rest of their long distance routes merged into GNV and they've been using the chartered Aurelia from Tirrenia for the past few years. That ship is in pretty disgraceful condition but has reportedly been sold (delivery supposedly after the summer) as Moby/Tirrenia scrabble around to find cash to pay down their debt burden. I'd be surprised if they could afford to buy anything right now unless they can shift the Bithia or something.

Edited by hhvferry
  • Thanks 1

With a 'thin visor' as you call it, does that mean she will be in the lowest ice class thereby providing clues as to where she is unable to operate in European waters? Ed. 

3 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

With a 'thin visor' as you call it, does that mean she will be in the lowest ice class thereby providing clues as to where she is unable to operate in European waters? Ed. 

It’s not the visors that cut through the ice, it’s the part of the bow below the visor, at and below the waterline, that has to be ice classified.

• Thanks 1

However, I’d be surprised if a ship built for service in Japan had the need for any ice strengthening.  I agree with hhv, a Mediterranean deployment seems most likely.

Yes I doubt she has ice strength. But her vehicle deck heights in particular preclude north European operation in/between lots of countries especially the Irish sea. Japanese lorries are typically limited to 4.1m high and their ferries are built to match (this ship has 4.4m height on the main deck, 4.2m on the upper).

Unless they decide to do a real job on her and heighten the two freight decks, possibly by sacrificing deck 5, they would be too low for regular service up here but could be more useful in Greece or on the Adriatic.

Edited by hhvferry
  • Thanks 1

The launch of the Settu, the ship which will replace the Stena-bound Yamato at Mitsubishi in Shimonoseki. This is where P&O's European Ambassador, Causeway and Highlander were built.

I wouldn't be too keen on placing my tug right underneath a ship being launched but I guess they know what they're doing.

She could be used in Europe, across the Baltic for instance or Dublin to Holyhead/ Fishguard to Rosslare. The EU directive 1996 limits trailer heights carried on sea or rail to 4m between different countries. National transport vehicles can be higher, EU members tend to opt for 4.4m for this, the UK is higher hence why traffic from Belfast to Scotland or the Mersey can be as high as 4.9m. The new one passed in 2016 is length & weight, this has been extended by 15cm or up to 50cm if it aerodynamically designed to cut emissions and an extra tonne is allowed if the heavier vehicle has again been designed to lower emissions.