Sign in to follow this  
nodwad

New BF Website

I booked a day trip using the BFE offer yesterday around 14.00. To start with I kept getting the "socket timeout" message and it took several minutes before I got onto the BF site. The process of booking seemed to be much more time-consuming than on the old site and I had to start again at one point. I declined the offer of setting up a BF account as I thought it would probably take ages, would probably timeout again and I didn't have any confidence that it wouldn't mess up my booking somehow. Got there in the end, but I really can't see how this new site is an improvement. As Cabin Boy says, "planned maintenance" is not done on a Friday evening, and it is always announced in advance, as part of the "planning".

• Like 1

There are very few (if any) members of this forum that consider the new website to be "an improvement".  The best that some get to is "no worse", but they are very much in the minority.  But I won't go on because I got told off last time I grumbled about how unsatisfactory the new website is.  Keeping on top of the timetables is so much faff I've given up.

I did notice that if you start a booking and change your mind, theres no way to cancel or delete my choices that comes easily to hand. So, I just close the site and that's it for me. Used to say "new quotation?". Just click that then close the page.

Now I get an email saying BF noticed I didn't finish my booking. So that goes in the junk box. Its getting like those infuriating popups asking for feed  back when I've finished.

All that does is cause me to shout at the screen to "B -off". 

Its certainly a cleaner booking site but with flaws. Generally, the internet is becoming clogged up with crap.

Looks like the BF website map showing "live ship positions" stopped at 2pm today, its now 9pm. Marine Traffic still working though.

Does this qualify for the New Website thread or Sailing updates ?   Thought "someone" might have noticed.

Definitely website rather than sailings updates (as actual sailings are not affected).  Not noticed probably because the new fleet tracker is so useless (compared with previously) that no one bothers using it.

I have resisted posting my comments here because I thought I would get over my initial dislike following more familiarity. But I haven’t. Two big problems remain for me:

1.     1. The type font is much lighter than previously, and I find it much more difficult to read the light blue / grey font that is used against a white background, rather than black on white which was previously dominant. My eyesight is reasonable (but getting no better), but the font must be difficult for people with poor vision.

2.     2. There seems to take a lot more clicks to access simple information. I particularly dislike the timetable pages if you are planning a journey at the beginning or end of the month. You cannot see Feb 27/28 and March 1 / 2 on the same page without clicking between the separate pages for each month

I could go on, but I think an opportunity was lost to improve comparison between routes, something which we take for granted on travel sites such as Expedia where you can compare much more complex itineraries all in one place.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Altranter said:

1. The type font is much lighter than previously, and I find it much more difficult to read the light blue / grey font that is used against a white background, rather than black on white which was previously dominant. My eyesight is reasonable (but getting no better), but the font must be difficult for people with poor vision.

Just to point out to anyone with eyesight problems, the new BF site is equipped with 'Recite Me' accessibility tools which allow you to increase the font size, use a magnifying glass, listen to the page being read to you and various other options. It's available on both the mobile site (towards the bottom of the drop down menu) and on the classic website (top right hand corner next to the phone number). This is something that I don't believe was available on the old site so is a positive step in the right direction. Ed. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

Just to point out to anyone with eyesight problems, the new BF site is equipped with 'Recite Me' accessibility tools which allow you to increase the font size, use a magnifying glass, listen to the page being read to you and various other options. It's available on both the mobile site (towards the bottom of the drop down menu) and on the classic website (top right hand corner next to the phone number). This is something that I don't believe was available on the old site so is a positive step in the right direction. Ed. 

I love your logic Ed.  The website has a problem with it that the old website did not have, but because it also has a facility that enables that problem to be compensated for, that is a step forward.  Hmmmm! 😉

Maybe I could get it to read the timetables  for the year to me! 🤣

9 minutes ago, Gareth said:

Maybe I could get it to read the timetables  for the year to me! 🤣

That might be possible. Give it a try and let us know what happens. 

My logic is that we know BF has over 80% of its customer base in the UK. There are over 2 million people in the UK with eyesight problems, a large proportion of whom are likely to be aged 60+. This is a key target market out of season. As far as I can determine, neither DFDS nor Eurotunnel, nor indeed Condor, have accessibility options on their websites. This means BF is one step ahead. Ok, the actual website itself might for now be a step back in terms of user-friendliness but once those issues have been ironed out it will be much better for everyone. The French, old version, website does not have these accessibility options so the new UK update was the only way they could have been included. Ed

12 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

That might be possible. Give it a try and let us know what happens. 

Could be a laugh but I’ll give it a miss, thanks.  I prefer your other solution (of just using the French site instead).

No, it's telling you that it can't find what you can't see. And that raises the existential question of whether the information really existed in the first place. I need a lie down! If only there was some way to book a cabin in which to do so. 🤔😀 Ed. 

• Haha 1

Cant find anything at the moment...I`ve been trying to use the booking site and it brings up the initial pages, lets you partly enter what you want then simply stops working..At best its a bit clunky, but seems to be part of BF`s updating everything just for the sake of it mentality. The DFDS Newhaven Dieppe site was working very fast by comparison.   

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Paully said:

Cant find anything at the moment...I`ve been trying to use the booking site and it brings up the initial pages, lets you partly enter what you want then simply stops working..At best its a bit clunky, but seems to be part of BF`s updating everything just for the sake of it mentality. The DFDS Newhaven Dieppe site was working very fast by comparison.   

I've just tried a dummy booking and it won't go any further than entering passenger options. The sailing times refuse to load. There is obviously a serious issue. They can't complain bookings are down if people can't actually book! Ed. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

That's the least of his worries. 😂 Ed. 

I know, but it’s a welcome diversion from the depressing nature of just how c**p the new website is. 😉

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gareth said:

Paully, your avatar’s changed colour!! 

Listen, at my age, if all that`s changed is the colour of my Avatar..........that`s what I call very good news🤣

• Haha 1

Are the BF executives under the spell of a Paris based management consultancy  Quaternaire ?

https://www.quaternaire.fr/cap-vers-le-numerique-pour-brittany-ferries.html

Could this be the driving force behind the new website, the new livery and logos for the ferries and who knows what else…….. notice boards in corridors !!!

Memo to BF executives,  si ce n'est pas cassé ne le réparez pas ! 

slower.thumb.png.29e45b3232155b3747642a8c7390533f.png

ah ! the website, Live ships positions, still stuck at 14:06 yesterday, that’s slower than normal.

We must not forget that the stated inside view at BF is that the launch of the new website has been “successful”.  Given that, presumably, they could revert to the old website at any time but have not chosen to do so, we must assume that their previously-stated view has not changed.  I’m therefore not sure that we should realistically expect things to get better any time soon.

Swapping back may not be an option if all the live data has been converted to the new structures where the database tables may be differently organised.