Sign in to follow this  
nodwad

New BF Website

I have to say, the new website puts me off from even wanting to book a ferry crossing, let alone delve into the finer depths of what BF has to offer.  When you can’t even get proper timetables out of it....

(I know, I know Ed, you can still get them on the French site.  But you kind of want everything to be there on the site you’re going to use to book.  Somehow, the two different websites almost make it feel like two different companies).

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

I know what you mean @Gareth I can’t even find the sailings for August and September on it 😉

Been cancelled their all on Brexit cargo shuttles

• Like 1

Website not available this morning. Keep getting message “403 Forbidden”. Are they doing maintenance or adding next year's sailings. Even going by the irish website (still the old format) I tried to pull up Sailing Updates but get same message.

3 minutes ago, BigDW1946 said:

Website not available this morning. Keep getting message “403 Forbidden”. Are they doing maintenance or adding next year's sailings. Even going by the irish website (still the old format) I tried to pull up Sailing Updates but get same message.

The French one is working!  just don't tell Gareth. Ed. 

• Haha 1

The UK site working very nicely on my IPad here in La Manche this morning - and out of interest the French site is confirming Wednesday 16th (2 days time) as the date they are open for summer bookings....😎

Chris

New web site ? It as been out a while now and we were all told there was a few problem but it will be sorted out soon.by the rate it is going it will be time for a new web site due out before they fix the problem with this sham of a website.

If the website can’t cope with the current 1 level of ticket.

How the hell is it going to cope when, for each prospective booking there are three level of tickets?

BF better get recruiting CS staff, they are going to need them.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, alleeganger10 said:

How the hell is it going to cope when, for each prospective booking there are three level of tickets?

Because I doubt this was a spur of the moment decision - it would have needed thought, commercial planning and then technical implementation and testing.

I'd also expect that we're going to see a 'base price' and then a fixed amount of extra cost for the higher levels - so really, you still would just need one price and some simple maths to generate the other two.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, alleeganger10 said:

32 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

So you've got into midnight to apply and then work starts in earnest tomorrow morning at 8am. I wonder when they will fit in the training? Ed. 

4 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

So you've got into midnight to apply and then work starts in earnest tomorrow morning at 8am. I wonder when they will fit in the training? Ed. 

1am to 5am...it will be an extended and comprehensive training package

The new website might not contain all the useful information everyone wants in an easy-to-find layout but it does apparently contain an Easter Egg in the forum of a list of the wake-up music tracks played on each ship.

Here's the link via Twitter for anyone interested.

https://twitter.com/BrittanyFerries/status/1184829170922246144?s=20

Ed 

I needed to change a booking last night, and the glacial new website threw me out after 5 minutes before I got haf way through it. What blithering idiot decided to put a tight time limit of managing booking? They should take their IT people out and beat them with sticks until they produce a website that is fit for purpose. the present set-up is crap. And thery don't answer the telephone or emails either. What the hell is going on?

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, veryoldbear said:

They should take their IT people out and beat them with sticks

I don't think you're allowed to say that anymore under the new forum rules. I think you meant to say they would get a severe telling off and if it happens again will be sent to the naughty corner. 

There are also no 'blithering idiots' just IT professionals who know better than we do. It's not our job to tell them what to do. 

And it's not 'crap', it's progress. 

Aside from all that, I fully agree with your assessment and so, apparently, do many others. Ed. 

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

I don't think you're allowed to say that anymore under the new forum rules. I think you meant to say they would get a severe telling off and if it happens again will be sent to the naughty corner. 

There are also no 'blithering idiots' just IT professionals who know better than we do. It's not our job to tell them what to do. 

And it's not 'crap', it's progress. 

Aside from all that, I fully agree with your assessment and so, apparently, do many others. Ed. 

It's more a case of the fact that some of those people who are being referred to read this - and frankly don't need the abuse that's been flung in their direction (I imagine they are having a challenging enough week already). For various reasons, they are unlikely to reply directly but that doesn't give a free ride to everyone else to throw stuff in their direction.

Yes, there have been issues - but if you think for a second they're all sat around with their feet up, I'd have thought you to be mistaken

1 minute ago, Gareth said:

There are no new forum rules.  The rules regarding treating others with respect have always applied.

True, so perhaps more strictly-applied and policed rules would be a better description. And that goes for those who are members as well as those who are not. Ed  

1 hour ago, veryoldbear said:

I needed to change a booking last night, and the glacial new website threw me out after 5 minutes before I got haf way through it. What blithering idiot decided to put a tight time limit of managing booking? They should take their IT people out and beat them with sticks until they produce a website that is fit for purpose. the present set-up is crap. And thery don't answer the telephone or emails either. What the hell is going on?

Somebody made a mistake with the initial booking? 

I may be being a little rough on them and of course much IT work is dictated by client's requirements. But who on earth thought it would be a wizard wheeze to place a ten-minute (which is actually a lot shorter) limit on booking changes? It simply defies imagination. There is also no excuse for a commercial website running at speeds that would be inappropraite ten years ago. If it is matter of bandwidth or server space whatever they surely should have thought about that before making these changes.

And i didn't make a mistake on my initial booking, work has kept me at the coal face for longer than expected. And it is still going on so I may have to cancel the whole trip.