Sign in to follow this  
nodwad

New BF Website

1 hour ago, veryoldbear said:

I may be being a little rough on them and of course much IT work is dictated by client's requirements. But who on earth thought it would be a wizard wheeze to place a ten-minute (which is actually a lot shorter) limit on booking changes? It simply defies imagination. There is also no excuse for a commercial website running at speeds that would be inappropraite ten years ago. If it is matter of bandwidth or server space whatever they surely should have thought about that before making these changes.

And i didn't make a mistake on my initial booking, work has kept me at the coal face for longer than expected. And it is still going on so I may have to cancel the whole trip.

I would guess that was a mistake... Surely it should be ten minutes before last action. That is normal (like banks).

If there was no timeout, then some nasty little black-hatted chap could get all your details or change your booking if you were in a public place and didn't remember to logout!

No, the booking engine throws you out after less than ten minutes even though you are still still trying to work through it. It is certianly not ten minutes after last action. I tried it several times with the same result.

I agree with the assessment by VOB of the "new" BF website.

1. In order to discover the cost of BF packages one has to progress through all the screens, almost to the point of payment before finding the cost. Why?

2. On arriving at this point System Error crops up. Why? These failure modes should've been revealed by test data testing.

3. In order to book a Spanish booking someone has decided it is normal to travel on the same in and out route. The old website allowed "Routes to Spain", "Routes to UK" as an option. Why has this been deleted? As a potential customer I find all the time wasted pratting  about on all the separate options extremely iratating. I am very sympathetic to VOBs reaction.

4. Are the people producing this website unaware of the need to start with a decent functional specification which looks at previous (successful) iterations?

• Like 1

On 13/10/2019 at 16:14, Gareth said:

I have to say, the new website puts me off from even wanting to book a ferry crossing, let alone delve into the finer depths of what BF has to offer.  When you can’t even get proper timetables out of it....

I went on to the site the other day just to see how it was and as the first screen loaded up came a box saying we would welcome your feedback - before I'd a chance to do anything. Incredibly stupid, incredibly annoying, incredibly counter-productive.  BF seem to be rapidly losing the plot on every side. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A bit like the NHS asking if you feel better even before they have cut out your appendix. Perhaps it's a precaution in case you drop dead during the procedure and that way at least the customer reported they were satisfied. BF have perhaps got the same attitude as regards will-to-live. Ed. 

58 minutes ago, Millsy said:

I went on to the site the other day just to see how it was and as the first screen loaded up came a box saying we would welcome your feedback - before I'd a chance to do anything. Incredibly stupid, incredibly annoying, incredibly counter-productive.  BF seem to be rapidly losing the plot on every side. 

Not unusual to most of the internet I'm afraid, just instant junk thrown at us. Ordered some cream(oh Matron!) off an inline chemist. Got 3 mails showing the stages of picking, packing and sending, 2 more mails from RMail telling me that the package will be with them soon, then showed me my signature on delivery. 5 mails! The world is mad. Saw a feedback that was cut and pasted straight from the manufacturers description, rather more of a sales pitch. BF are just following the herd. Feedback is largely all tosh. Just bin it or give them feedback on feedback.

Stu

I think Millsy was making the point it puts you off before you start plus it's just more unnecessary clutter on a website that's not up to the job, cut out the clutter and just get the basic job done.

On 18/10/2019 at 19:32, westy said:

I agree with the assessment by VOB of the "new" BF website.

1. In order to discover the cost of BF packages one has to progress through all the screens, almost to the point of payment before finding the cost. Why?

2. On arriving at this point System Error crops up. Why? These failure modes should've been revealed by test data testing.

3. In order to book a Spanish booking someone has decided it is normal to travel on the same in and out route. The old website allowed "Routes to Spain", "Routes to UK" as an option. Why has this been deleted? As a potential customer I find all the time wasted pratting  about on all the separate options extremely iratating. I am very sympathetic to VOBs reaction.

4. Are the people producing this website unaware of the need to start with a decent functional specification which looks at previous (successful) iterations?

Not sure what you mean about point 2... 

You get a quote on Step 2 for your choice of sailing and car/people... then add your cabin on step 3? 

On 21/10/2019 at 08:19, straightfeed said:

Not unusual to most of the internet I'm afraid, just instant junk thrown at us. Ordered some cream(oh Matron!) off an inline chemist. Got 3 mails showing the stages of picking, packing and sending, 2 more mails from RMail telling me that the package will be with them soon, then showed me my signature on delivery. 5 mails! The world is mad. Saw a feedback that was cut and pasted straight from the manufacturers description, rather more of a sales pitch. BF are just following the herd. Feedback is largely all tosh. Just bin it or give them feedback on feedback.

Stu

Those feedback boxes popup when you land on the site and sit in the background so they capture your session once you give them permission. They are all over the place...Dixons Carphone used them for several years across all their web outlets....

All over the place doesn’t mean good.  BF used to do its own thing and have nothing to do with all these fads.  Now it has gone down the embracing big corporate obsession it might as well, to be honest, just be Dixons Carphone.  There’s nothing unique about what it represents any more.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

The new website is awful,  why don't those in charge at "Brittany Towers" see that ?  Earlier today I spotted a "Live chat" button to click on the booking page, its no longer there, have they gone home or changed their minds ?

No proper timetables, and moving the cursor across the page to get where you want to look opens no end of irrelevant options, its clearly not working. 

I am still waiting for a reply to my email to Customer Services on 16 August, which was website related.   BF are not what they used to be.

Despite all those moans, I think travelling on the Bretagne is always a pleasure, despite the cabins showing their age.  I make around a dozen return trips a year and find the staff of both crews are always welcoming and they present a "happy ship".    It appears oldies like me make up the majority of the passengers,so why do the management not understand, "If it ain't broke don't fix it ".

• Like 2

Thing is, we experienced BF customers know what the "BF experience" is, and realise that the website is just a booking engine for that experience that carries no bearing on that experience in its own right.

But for most potential customers, the website gives a snapshot of what to expect from the product being sold.  And if the impression given of the product by the website is just Dixon Carphone (or P&O or British Airways) then how is the potential customer going to know that at the end if that booking process what they are going to get the is precious and special product that we all know BF is?

At the end of the day, the product being advertised to customers is what the website portrays.  And with the website just portraying Dixon Carphone, the unique and special product that BF really is becomes hidden from view in all its marketing.

47 minutes ago, Gareth said:

Thing is, we experienced BF customers know what the "BF experience" is, and realise that the website is just a booking engine for that experience that carries no bearing on that experience in its own right.

But for most potential customers, the website gives a snapshot of what to expect from the product being sold.  And if the impression given of the product by the website is just Dixon Carphone (or P&O or British Airways) then how is the potential customer going to know that at the end if that booking process what they are going to get the is precious and special product that we all know BF is?

At the end of the day, the product being advertised to customers is what the website portrays.  And with the website just portraying Dixon Carphone, the unique and special product that BF really is becomes hidden from view in all its marketing.

Can't debate that, it's not the most fluid user friendly website but we know what we're looking for and where to find it. A BF newbie could easily be lost trying to look for timetables & ship information before they get anywhere near the chance to book a crossing.

No proper timetables? 

I click Routes and Ports , choose a route, and the website offers me a timetable for that route for the whole season .

Really no problem.

38 minutes ago, wortley said:

No proper timetables? 

I click Routes and Ports , choose a route, and the website offers me a timetable for that route for the whole season .

Really no problem.

Unless there’s something I’m missing, you only get a month at a time.  I’ve not seen a facility to view the whole season - has that been added somewhere that I haven’t found?

5 minutes ago, Gareth said:

Unless there’s something I’m missing, you only get a month at a time.  I’ve not seen a facility to view the whole season - has that been added somewhere that I haven’t found?

And then you click the month you want.

48 minutes ago, Solo said:

And then you click the month you want.

But I want the whole season - Wortley tells me I can get it but I can’t see where.  I don’t want just a single month.

I think that the timetable is ok for once off bookings as yo

6 minutes ago, Gareth said:

But I want the whole season - Wortley tells me I can get it but I can’t see where.  I don’t want just a single month.

I like the freight site (https://www.brittanyferriesfreight.co.uk/ferry-routes/timetables), I suspect that it is more normal just to look up the dates you want - you can't get full airline timetables anymore either.

Edited by David Williams

The website is not great, however broadly works - I have managed to book what I want using it.

I am more concerned that the central booking engine that all channels use seems to have pricing errors now they have amended it. I am aware of a pricing error with half price CV cabins & there are other ones referred to on twitter as well however no detail was given

Another error that has been around for a while is that changing the number of adults in a booking can move the pricing for the car as well.

Edited by David Williams

26 minutes ago, Gareth said:

Gareth. I am using a very old i-pad.  Here is a screen shot of the timetable which the website is showing me for November. If I tap the word December across the top it shows me that month instead. And so on for all the other months if I simply tap the words. 

IMG_0848.PNG

• Like 1

This is what Gareth wants, but as far as I'm aware only available on the old French site..

Chris

Caen Portsmouth [afficher Portsmouth Caen]

Octobre 2019

01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
DEP ARR M M J V S D L M M J V S D L M M J V S D L M M J V S D L M M J
08:30 13:15                                               MO ND MO ND MO ND   MO
14:00 19:15                                             MO             MO  
16:30 21:15                                               ND MO ND MO ND MO   ND
23:00 06:45                                             ND MO ND MO ND MO ND ND MO

Novembre 2019

01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30
DEP ARR V S D L M M J V S D L M M J V S D L M M J V S D L M M J V S
08:30 13:15 ND MO ND MO ND MO ND   MO ND MO ND MO ND   MO ND MO ND MO ND   MO ND MO ND MO ND   MO
14:00 19:15                                                         MO  
14:00 20:30               MO             MO             MO                
16:30 21:15 MO ND MO ND MO ND MO   ND MO ND MO ND MO   ND MO ND MO ND MO   ND MO ND MO ND MO   ND
23:00 06:45 ND MO ND MO ND MO ND ND MO ND MO ND MO ND ND MO ND MO ND MO ND ND MO ND MO ND MO ND ND MO

Décembre 2019

01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
DEP ARR D L M M J V S D L M M J V S D L M M J V S D L M M J V S D L M
08:30 13:15 ND MO ND MO ND   MO ND MO ND MO ND   MO ND MO ND MO ND   MO ND MO     ND   MO ND MO  
14:00 19:15           MO             MO             MO             MO        
16:30 21:15 MO ND MO ND MO   ND MO ND MO ND MO   ND MO ND MO ND MO   ND MO ND     MO   ND MO ND  
23:00 06:45 ND MO ND MO ND ND MO ND MO ND MO ND ND MO ND MO ND MO ND ND MO ND MO     ND ND MO ND MO

I do listen, and I do know where to find it (for now!).  But that doesn’t stop it being a legitimate criticism of the functionality of the UK site. 😄

I get that it does what people say they think I should want it to do.  But what matters to any individual is not whether it does what they are told they should want it to do, but whether it does what they actually do want it to do!

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Gareth said:

I do listen, and I do know where to find it (for now!).  But that doesn’t stop it being a legitimate criticism of the functionality of the UK site. 😄

I get that it does what people say they think I should want it to do.  But what matters to any individual is not whether it does what they are told they should want it to do, but whether it does what they actually do want it to do!

Now you're sounding like one of our infuriating politicians Gareth! Or was that a Yes Minister quote?

Chris..;)

• Haha 1