Sign in to follow this  
nodwad

New BF Website

46 minutes ago, Fine Whine said:

This is what Gareth wants, but as far as I'm aware only available on the old French site..

Chris

Caen Portsmouth [afficher Portsmouth Caen]

Octobre 2019

01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
DEP ARR M M J V S D L M M J V S D L M M J V S D L M M J V S D L M M J
08:30 13:15                                               MO ND MO ND MO ND   MO
14:00 19:15                                             MO             MO  
16:30 21:15                                               ND MO ND MO ND MO   ND
23:00 06:45                                             ND MO ND MO ND MO ND ND MO

Novembre 2019

01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30
DEP ARR V S D L M M J V S D L M M J V S D L M M J V S D L M M J V S
08:30 13:15 ND MO ND MO ND MO ND   MO ND MO ND MO ND   MO ND MO ND MO ND   MO ND MO ND MO ND   MO
14:00 19:15                                                         MO  
14:00 20:30               MO             MO             MO                
16:30 21:15 MO ND MO ND MO ND MO   ND MO ND MO ND MO   ND MO ND MO ND MO   ND MO ND MO ND MO   ND
23:00 06:45 ND MO ND MO ND MO ND ND MO ND MO ND MO ND ND MO ND MO ND MO ND ND MO ND MO ND MO ND ND MO

Décembre 2019

01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
DEP ARR D L M M J V S D L M M J V S D L M M J V S D L M M J V S D L M
08:30 13:15 ND MO ND MO ND   MO ND MO ND MO ND   MO ND MO ND MO ND   MO ND MO     ND   MO ND MO  
14:00 19:15           MO             MO             MO             MO        
16:30 21:15 MO ND MO ND MO   ND MO ND MO ND MO   ND MO ND MO ND MO   ND MO ND     MO   ND MO ND  
23:00 06:45 ND MO ND MO ND ND MO ND MO ND MO ND ND MO ND MO ND MO ND ND MO ND MO     ND ND MO ND MO

Shame that will be gone when the French site gets the ovehaul to become inline with the UK site eh!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fine Whine said:

This is what Gareth wants, but as far as I'm aware only available on the old French site..

Chris

Caen Portsmouth [afficher Portsmouth Caen]

Octobre 2019

DEP ARR M M J V S D L M M J V S D L M M J V S D L M M J V S D L M M J
08:30 13:15                                               MO ND MO ND MO ND   MO
14:00 19:15                                             MO             MO  
16:30 21:15                                               ND MO ND MO ND MO   ND
23:00 06:45                                             ND MO ND MO ND MO ND ND MO

Novembre 2019

01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30
DEP ARR V S D L M M J V S D L M M J V S D L M M J V S D L M M J V S
08:30 13:15 ND MO ND MO ND MO ND   MO ND MO ND MO ND   MO ND MO ND MO ND   MO ND MO ND MO ND   MO
14:00 19:15                                                         MO  
14:00 20:30               MO             MO             MO                
16:30 21:15 MO ND MO ND MO ND MO   ND MO ND MO ND MO   ND MO ND MO ND MO   ND MO ND MO ND MO   ND
23:00 06:45 ND MO ND MO ND MO ND ND MO ND MO ND MO ND ND MO ND MO ND MO ND ND MO ND MO ND MO ND ND MO

Décembre 2019

DEP ARR D L M M J V S D L M M J V S D L M M J V S D L M M J V S D L M
08:30 13:15 ND MO ND MO ND   MO ND MO ND MO ND   MO ND MO ND MO ND   MO ND MO     ND   MO ND MO  
14:00 19:15           MO             MO             MO             MO        
16:30 21:15 MO ND MO ND MO   ND MO ND MO ND MO   ND MO ND MO ND MO   ND MO ND     MO   ND MO ND  
23:00 06:45 ND MO ND MO ND ND MO ND MO ND MO ND ND MO ND MO ND MO ND ND MO ND MO     ND ND MO ND MO

The one thing I find with this layout is that this time of year if you want to look at next October you have to scroll right through and the same for the return sailing, instead of just clicking on the month.

Yes, that’s the reason the BF developer gave when inviting comment on the beta site from the forum.  It’s a fair point, and having the ability to view the timetables on a month by month basis as the new site does is perfectly understandable.  I just don’t see why it’s not unreasonable to ask for the ability to see them in both formats, as suits the preferences of the user.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Gareth said:

Yes, that’s the reason the BF developer gave when inviting comment on the beta site from the forum.  It’s a fair point, and having the ability to view the timetables on a month by month basis as the new site does is perfectly understandable.  I just don’t see why it’s not unreasonable to ask for the ability to see them in both formats, as suits the preferences of the user.

I would imagine Gareth, purely from a technical point of view, that those timetable sailing times are pulled from a live database. Having both would probably add a lot of overhead to the load where and when they are requested. However - that wouldn't stop having a static PDF alongside perhaps - with a disclaimer to check the booking steps to make sure the sailing is still valid.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, hf_uk said:

I would imagine Gareth, purely from a technical point of view, that those timetable sailing times are pulled from a live database. Having both would probably add a lot of overhead to the load where and when they are requested. However - that wouldn't stop having a static PDF alongside perhaps - with a disclaimer to check the booking steps to make sure the sailing is still valid.

Condor's timetables are available in PDF to download, I believe. They certainly always used to be. Ed.

Wonder if the the new single month format is to stop the site's refresh rate slowing down, we now have say a 12 page timetable rather than a single page? 

I suppose too that in phone and smaller tablet form the older site timetables could be be quite small to view.

Personally I blame all of those slick Galaxy 10 users... Get home and use that clunky old 166mhz pentium 4MB desktop and dial up like your supposed to!

2 hours ago, jonno said:

I suppose too that in phone and smaller tablet form the older site timetables could be be quite small to view.

That's probably part of it, making it easier for Mobiles etc.  We had the same with our cycling club website, we've got to make it more user friendly, personally I think we lost a lot from it as well.

3 hours ago, jonno said:

Wonder if the the new single month format is to stop the site's refresh rate slowing down, we now have say a 12 page timetable rather than a single page? 

Personally I blame all of those slick Galaxy 10 users... Get home and use that clunky old 166mhz pentium 4MB desktop and dial up like your supposed to!

Jonno - your 166Mhz pentium was rubbish mate. I had at least 32megs of EDO ram at the time.
Cheers, hf :) 

2 hours ago, hf_uk said:

Jonno - your 166Mhz pentium was rubbish mate. I had at least 32megs of EDO ram at the time.
Cheers, hf :) 

It was basically used as a word processor replacing the old Amstrad with the green screen and dot matrix printer I bought in the '80's. I got my hands on an AST with a 188 pentium II and 32 MB in it around '96 or '97, it was like a flying machine, still have my Amiga 500 in a box somewhere.

When we were filling the dock for London City Airport the mobile phones were like geiger counters with the handset on the top, NEC I think. We still had them when we built the linkspan for Barfy.

How times change, the desktop is now 64GB, Intel 8th Gen i7, Nvidia 8GB & 2TB SSD and the new laptop is a Intel 9th Gen i9, same memory, graphics two 1TB SSD's with a 240 hz screen.

Yes, I'm having lots of fun!

Memories ( or Nostalgia). . .  I remember how our spirits fell when we asked the secretary for a copy of such and such document to be told 'it's on the Wang'. Shorthand for being told its lost forever.

Apologies to our younger members who do not remember the wonders of the Wang word processing system.

15 minutes ago, jonno said:

How times change, the desktop is now 64GB, Intel 8th Gen i7, Nvidia 8GB & 2TB SSD and the new laptop is a Intel 9th Gen i9, same memory, graphics two 1TB SSD's with a 240 hz screen.

To all us French speakers that¬†sounds a load of gobbledygook Jonno¬†- but I reckon¬†you must have had a degree in gobbledygook¬†¬†somewhere along the line...ūüėāūü§£

Chris

Edited by Fine Whine
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Fine Whine said:

To all us French speakers that¬†sounds a load of gobbledygook to me Jonno¬†- but I reckon¬†you must have had a degree in gobbledygook¬†¬†somewhere along the line...ūüėāūü§£

Chris

You know me too well!

• Like 2

Apparently, gobbledygook translates into French as ‚Äúcharabia‚ÄĚ. ¬†Which translates back into English as ‚Äúgibberish‚ÄĚ. ¬†Which I think is rather unfair from our French resident members on Jonno! ūüėČ

• Haha 1

This was my first, wasn't a degree though.

Ik heb brede schouders en neem geen overtreding.

Ik heb brede schouders en neem geen overtreding.

1 hour ago, jonno said:

When we were filling the dock for London City Airport the mobile phones were like geiger counters with the handset on the top, NEC I think. We still had them when we built the linkspan for Barfy.

My friend's dad, who was a chartered surveyor, used to travel between jobs on a motorbike until he got one of those new-fangled mobile phones with a battery the size of a brick and a talk time measured in minutes. Obviously the motorbike had to go and so he bought one of the first Renault Espaces imported to the UK. It was the only car with door pockets capable of holding the phone. Unfortunately he looked a bit of a plonker when the sheer weight of the device caused the entire door card to pop off on his first site visit, dumping the phone into the ankle-deep mud. I believe Renault changed their user's manual to include a 1 kilo weight limit for each door after that.  Ed 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, hf_uk said:

a static PDF alongside perhaps - with a disclaimer to check the booking steps to make sure the sailing is still valid.

Didn't that used to exist on the old site?

Without declaring my own opinion on the site, these days the two core things are that a website is FAST and that it works on mobile phones, which is probably where a lot of the traffic comes from and and where speed is critical because many users will be on 3G or 4G. Using Google's own tools:*

IS IT FAST?

https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.brittany-ferries.co.uk%2F
Site scores as 'slow' at 36 out of 100.

The French site scores 39 out of 100 which is also very poor for speed, the Irish site fairs better in the average category at 52 out of 100 and the freight site is fastest at 58 out of 100. However, they're all poor scores.

So... NO, IT IS NOT FAST

Stena Line is 11 out of 100, Irish Ferries is at 56, Ryanair is 51 and Eurotunnel is an horrific 5 out of 100.

IS IT MOBILE FRIENDLY?

https://search.google.com/test/mobile-friendly?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.brittany-ferries.co.uk%2F
Yes, the page scores as mobile friendly.

It's a no for the French site, Irish site and freight site, probably not that many freight customers using it to book though.

It's a yes for Stena Line, Irish Ferries and Eurotunnel.

So... it's ok then?

Well it's better than the Irish site for sure; Google prioritises mobile friendly, probably second after the site being secure (https) and probably ahead of mobile. However, on average Irish Ferries will always outrank the Irish site and probably the UK site too. Stena Line will most likely outrank BF's Irish site in search results.

= room for improvement

*caveat is that Google penalises sites for speed, yet Google's own scripts that websites use like for Google Analytics. Google Ads, Google Tag Manager and Google Optimize (the latter doesn't even work properly with Analytics) is a bit rich on their part, but Google dominates the internet in Western Europe so sites have no choice but to follow Google's own rules.

Brittanyferries.ie website has whole timetables to view and print off, but only for Cork routes. 
One thought - don't reception desks onboard offer a pamphlet with Timetables for all Uk & Irish routes?

1 hour ago, BigDW1946 said:

Brittanyferries.ie website has whole timetables to view and print off, but only for Cork routes. 
One thought - don't reception desks onboard offer a pamphlet with Timetables for all Uk & Irish routes?

I doubt they bother with paper versions any more. I haven't seen one for a long time. I think they do still print the holiday brochures and they still have the ship guides of course. Ed. 

7 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

I doubt they bother with paper versions any more. I haven't seen one for a long time. I think they do still print the holiday brochures and they still have the ship guides of course. Ed. 

I‚Äôm pretty sure I have seen them available at the information desk Ed. ¬†You may not have had them on NEX though, due to the lack of room ūü§£.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Gareth said:

I‚Äôm pretty sure I have seen them available at the information desk Ed. ¬†You may not have had them on NEX though, due to the lack of room ūü§£.

She goes so fast they simply can't stay on the counter top. They fly about all over the place. 

Why do they need to print them in this day and age?  Especially as they have to make changes from time to time. Surely a flashcode at reception for each route could be used for people to scan and download the one they want. Ed. 

• Haha 2

I think the paper timetables have been dropped.  They have always been available in the terminal at Plymouth and on the information desk on board the Armorique, but I haven't seen any at all this year