• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A message from BF (we told you they were watching...)    

Your response is appreciated Nigel. I think it is fair to say that all the regular members of this forum are very much BF supporters and that criticism is usually considered and offered more in sorrow

New website, new logo, what a waste of money. Just got my Welcome Aboard email, I had look at what they have to say about Bretagne, all the pictures and the video are still showing the old logo.  The

Posted Images

9 hours ago, scarlton said:

Last year was the last time paper timetables were printed. They changed so much this year that it became apparent there was no point.

To be fair, this year has been exceptional for that (for a combination of reasons).  

If a decision has been taken on the basis of what has happened this year then do we infer from that that BF is expecting what happened this year to become the new norm?

1 minute ago, cvabishop said:

Maybe it's simply part of the trend of 'going paperless'. BF might reasonably assume that any potential travellers have access to the internet these days.

Who really needs paper timetables anyway - very few I suspect.

I can see that all that makes sense (provided you can actually get the timetables on the internet).  It’s just that Scarlton attributed the reason to all the changes that took place this year (and if that is the reason, then the decision rather implies that they are expecting large amounts of changes to continue).

4 minutes ago, cvabishop said:

Maybe it's simply part of the trend of 'going paperless'. BF might reasonably assume that any potential travellers have access to the internet these days.

Who really needs paper timetables anyway - very few I suspect.

That's a question that needs answering in the wider rush for paperless, who needs paper anything and who would really prefer it?  I use the internet a lot but there are times I want to read things on paper.

• Like 1

That's a question that needs answering in the wider rush for paperless, who needs paper anything and who would really prefer it?  I use the internet a lot but there are times I want to read things on paper.

I wasn't suggesting universal paperlessness, I like to read newspapers, books and other information on hard copy too. But if you have something like timetables which are frequently being amended for various reasons then online up to date data is important. It is usually possible tor most people to print out the latest version if they wish.

If I want to book a BF crossing I'm not going to use something that might have been published in hard copy last year, I'm going to look up the latest version online.

Going paperless is not always the best option (sometimes it is done simply to save money) but, as always, it is horses for courses.

I use the website for checking the (current!!!) timetables and cross reference them with dates I am able to travel to work out suitability.  I either phone book or pootle around to the port to book (and have a natter and a coffee in the terminal cafe)  I don’t like booking anything online nowadays when it involves giving payment details.  I book via my landline or I walk round the terminal whether it be BF or Condor.  And I hope in the next few days to do that. 

I get the e-ticket sent to my email address and I screenshot it so if I cannot get online it is in my photos app on my ipad.

Edited by Khaines
27 minutes ago, BobCrox said:

Travelling in parts of france where there is no mobile signal I am deprived of access to a timetable which I would need if I have to change a booking.

Pop into McDonalds. Buy a coffee. Use their loo. Ask for the wi fI code. 

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, BobCrox said:

Travelling in parts of france where there is no mobile signal I am deprived of access to a timetable which I would need if I have to change a booking.

In fairness, they can also just tell you on the phone when you ring up to change... (presuming you're doing that on a landline and not the phone with no signal!)

13 hours ago, Gareth said:

I can see that all that makes sense (provided you can actually get the timetables on the internet).  It’s just that Scarlton attributed the reason to all the changes that took place this year (and if that is the reason, then the decision rather implies that they are expecting large amounts of changes to continue).

I think it pushed the decision over the line. They weren't very popular and there was always a huge surplus.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I just received an email from BF to keep me informed about the website changes and it provides a link to explain the three-tier pricing system that we have now also adopted for bookings from mid-April 2020 onwards. Ed. 

Edited by Cabin-boy
  • 7 months later...
On 19/02/2019 at 01:26, TonyMWeaver said:

There are always going to be bugs with new websites/updates, give it time, I'm sure it will all be sorted soon enough.

I still find the website a nightmare to navigate. Give it time.  How long ?  

The way the timetables are displayed is confusing. The Print this Page link doesn't print the whole timetable, just one month plus another superfluous page. 

New Livery was it necessary ?, new timetable was it necessary ?  A BF aeroplane for the "Dear Leader".  Wish the money had been spent on people to answer phones instead.

• Like 4
5 minutes ago, BZH29 said:

New Livery was it necessary ?

It it my understanding that part of the rationale for the new livery was designed to reflect the environmental friendliness and sustainability of ferry travel. Then, BF, being so environment-friendly, decide to ban foot passengers and cyclists. In the meantime, airlines like Easyjet are now actively wooing cyclists. The irony!

Corporate re-branding efforts are important because brands can look a bit stale after a while. However, post-Covid19, it seems BF have a lot more serious issues on their plate.

33 minutes ago, zuludelta said:

Corporate re-branding efforts are important because brands can look a bit stale after a while.

They are all at it. Here's the 'Laughing Cow' re-branding exercise. 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.bfmtv.com/economie/la-vache-qui-rit-s-offre-une-nouvelle-jeunesse-enrafraichissant-son-logo-1928996.html&ved=2ahUKEwjAjKni4vnpAhUJA2MBHRkeDMEQFjAAegQIAxAB&usg=AOvVaw2Pl5lXHT6sgMBWy_pJyXv0

The bean-counters probably worked out that the money they could save by not using so much colour printing on the packaging would pay for a new coffee machine in their office.

Ed

• Haha 1

Don't they realise most people don't give a damn about branding, it's the product that matters.  If you like something you keep buying it if you don't rebranding won't make any difference.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Solo said:

Don't they realise most people don't give a damn about branding, it's the product that matters.  If you like something you keep buying it if you don't rebranding won't make any difference.

What??????????..That will come as a terrible shock to The Dear Leader😢😭

19 minutes ago, Paully said:

What??????????..That will come as a terrible shock to The Dear Leader😢😭

What He has failed to appreciate (among many other things) is that a large proportion of BF custom is repeat business.  Branding may be important for attracting new first-time custom, but it is the experience of the product that is the thing that determines whether that custom comes back.  And it is the alienation of large amounts of its previously loyal repeat custom that is going to really bite BF in the months and years ahead.  New branding (even if you like it, which many of BF’s existing customers do not) is totally irrelevant if your experiences of the product (and supporting customer service) has let you down.  It is far easier to keep existing custom than to attract new custom, but it is hard to overstate how badly the current BF management has misjudged the importance of doing this over the past few years.

• Like 4
6 minutes ago, Gareth said:

What He has failed to appreciate (among many other things) is that a large proportion of BF custom is repeat business.

A few years ago, when browsing in a second-hand bookstore, I picked up a musty old business strategy textbook. The content was about usual business stuff - new markets, customer acquisition etc. However, flicking through it, something caught my eye. The author included a case study of one company following a strategy of not continually chasing new customers but relying on repeat business instead. The company in the case study was Brittany Ferries. Transpired the author was from University of Plymouth.

BF, more than any company I can think of, has been built on repeat custom. It has been the bedrock of it's very existence and growth. How many times, have you seen people write on Trip Advisor comments like "we've been using BF for over 20 years...". It built up huge reserves of goodwill and loyalty. Unfortunately, this capital seems to be getting severely eroded now - which is actually quite sad.   

• Like 4