Sign in to follow this  
nodwad

New BF Website

I can print my own timetables at home - the new website even has a Print this page tab - but as the timetables tend to change it's a risky game to print them 

Last year was the last time paper timetables were printed. They changed so much this year that it became apparent there was no point.

9 hours ago, scarlton said:

Last year was the last time paper timetables were printed. They changed so much this year that it became apparent there was no point.

To be fair, this year has been exceptional for that (for a combination of reasons).  

If a decision has been taken on the basis of what has happened this year then do we infer from that that BF is expecting what happened this year to become the new norm?

Maybe it's simply part of the trend of 'going paperless'. BF might reasonably assume that any potential travellers have access to the internet these days.

Who really needs paper timetables anyway - very few I suspect.

1 minute ago, cvabishop said:

Maybe it's simply part of the trend of 'going paperless'. BF might reasonably assume that any potential travellers have access to the internet these days.

I can see that all that makes sense (provided you can actually get the timetables on the internet).  It’s just that Scarlton attributed the reason to all the changes that took place this year (and if that is the reason, then the decision rather implies that they are expecting large amounts of changes to continue).

4 minutes ago, cvabishop said:

That's a question that needs answering in the wider rush for paperless, who needs paper anything and who would really prefer it?  I use the internet a lot but there are times I want to read things on paper.

• Like 1

That's a question that needs answering in the wider rush for paperless, who needs paper anything and who would really prefer it?  I use the internet a lot but there are times I want to read things on paper.

I wasn't suggesting universal paperlessness, I like to read newspapers, books and other information on hard copy too. But if you have something like timetables which are frequently being amended for various reasons then online up to date data is important. It is usually possible tor most people to print out the latest version if they wish.

If I want to book a BF crossing I'm not going to use something that might have been published in hard copy last year, I'm going to look up the latest version online.

Going paperless is not always the best option (sometimes it is done simply to save money) but, as always, it is horses for courses.

I use the website for checking the (current!!!) timetables and cross reference them with dates I am able to travel to work out suitability.  I either phone book or pootle around to the port to book (and have a natter and a coffee in the terminal cafe)  I don’t like booking anything online nowadays when it involves giving payment details.  I book via my landline or I walk round the terminal whether it be BF or Condor.  And I hope in the next few days to do that. 

I get the e-ticket sent to my email address and I screenshot it so if I cannot get online it is in my photos app on my ipad.

Edited by Khaines

Travelling in parts of france where there is no mobile signal I am deprived of access to a timetable which I would need if I have to change a booking.

27 minutes ago, BobCrox said:

Travelling in parts of france where there is no mobile signal I am deprived of access to a timetable which I would need if I have to change a booking.

Pop into McDonalds. Buy a coffee. Use their loo. Ask for the wi fI code. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, BobCrox said:

In fairness, they can also just tell you on the phone when you ring up to change... (presuming you're doing that on a landline and not the phone with no signal!)

13 hours ago, Gareth said:

I can see that all that makes sense (provided you can actually get the timetables on the internet).  It’s just that Scarlton attributed the reason to all the changes that took place this year (and if that is the reason, then the decision rather implies that they are expecting large amounts of changes to continue).

I think it pushed the decision over the line. They weren't very popular and there was always a huge surplus.

• Like 1

I just received an email from BF to keep me informed about the website changes and it provides a link to explain the three-tier pricing system that we have now also adopted for bookings from mid-April 2020 onwards. Ed. 

Edited by Cabin-boy